Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Q - Anyone going for it?

Comments

• Options
    I ditched the touch remote for the button one.
  • Options
    dansmudge said:

It's a very snazzy new operating system, the remote takes some getting used to as it's so sensitive and it's weird not having stuff saved in the same way or a quick button to get into your planner.

Hi Suzi,

If you press the Sky button at the top of your remote it jumps straight to your planner (recordings).
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by planner!

Cheers
    oh fab thanks! I've just been pressing the home button then scrolling up from MyQ. Hardly a major issue, but I love a short cut and used to like the 'planner' 'tv guide' 'box office' quick buttons.
  • Options
    @suzisausage I was doing the same until I stumbled across it the other day. There's also a short cut to jump to the last viewed channel, (like the blue button used to do) but sod's law I've forgotten it right now! I think it might be swipe right or something like that.
  • Options

But the touch one has the mic for voice control
  • Options
    The touch remote kept changing channel randomly, so I had to take the batteries out. I recently noticed in the options you can pair up your old Sky remotes too, so I'm going to find them and do that. The little ones are ok, I just press the wrong button too much.
  • Options
    I got a renewal deal with bb, phone, full tv, two boxes 199 plus 75 a month for ten months, is that good or bad
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Does anyone on here have any friends and family codes for Sky Q?

I still cant get by head around the idea that I have to pay £99 per box for Sky Q (that would be 1 x 2tb and 2 x mini boxes = £297) where as new customers pay £159. Its outrageous how they get away with stitching up existing customers.

You need to get over the idea they're stitching you up, and instead play the game better.
    I've played the game all right but there's only so many times you can phone up and say whats your best deal, how much can you knock off. Our bill was something like £120pm (for box sets, Sky sports and fibre) which was discounted down from £130ish. And that didn't include the £32.99pm I was paying BT for BT Sport. I think, in the end, they got it down to £95pm for 10 months and then it went back up to full price for 2 months.

To switch to Sky Q, they wanted £297 for 3 boxes. The day before, the fella sitting behind me at work got 3 Sky Q boxes for £30 each, £90 in total. The day after, they wanted £297. So that alone, to me, is a stitch up.

I've cancelled Sky Sports and BT Sports (replaced with Sports Mania on Kodi) and got our bill down to £62 now on a rolling one-month contract with 30 days notice. Will only get Sky Q when they want sensible money for it or there is a decent deal.

We was told that the Sky/BT PL breakup would benefit consumers. I disagree.
    The only way things are going to get better at this point is if sports rights are taken away from Sky/BT etc and replaced with a monthly streaming subscription direct through the Premier League.
    Inevitably, in the end, the quality of football, if they keep increasing the number of games played, will turn the audiences off. For the last three weeks there have been several completely uninspiring games on Sky on a Sunday. On the basis that there are only a handful of teams that, I believe, the neutrals are interested in that limits it to six games a week and less if they are playing each other. Once they spread these few games over more than one broadcaster it, potentially, means that Sky (or BT Sports) may have none of the top six one weekend. I have, literally, no interest in the mid table sides and when they play each other I can't be bothered to even look for the result, never mind watch the program for two hours.

There must come a point where the subscriptions, both individually and combined, are too high for the limited number of games that one would watch if their team is not playing. Interestingly, on that subject, I am likely to watch us play more games on Sky this month than I will see live, and I have a season ticket - just can't be bothered to go to The Valley at the moment.

On the subject of Sky Q, I've been interested in it for a while but I manage to keep getting deals with Sky that they don't seem to want to transfer to the new format. I think I pay about £35 a month for HD and Sky Sports and that is questionable value for money for the number of games I watch, which is probably less than ten a year. Paying any more for access to things that I don't watch would not make financial sense to me.

All this is before you consider that there are apps on my phone and iPad that enable me to stream absolutely anything, I like, for free. I imagine that the early adopters would have the knowledge for that. I have a friend that is a Spurs fan and he, literally, streams every game they play to his laptop, for nothing. Sure the image isn't 4K and probably not 720k very often but it's free and he doesn't even need to leave his house. A game at Man Utd (all be it they they are normally on the TV) would cost close to £200 and take up the whole day.
  • Options
    The way things are going the premier league could end up launching its own GameDay style streaming service, whereby one featured game is broadcast for free, but all games are available to stream live for a monthly fee.

The problem is the risk that it would push down attendance to games, which then pushes down the clubs' incomes, which either means they push up the price of tickets for people still attending, or the quality of the players in the league declines as clubs trim wages, or they rack up even more debt than they do now by trying to ignore the falling revenue numbers.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

The way things are going the premier league could end up launching its own GameDay style streaming service, whereby one featured game is broadcast for free, but all games are available to stream live for a monthly fee.

The problem is the risk that it would push down attendance to games, which then pushes down the clubs' incomes, which either means they push up the price of tickets for people still attending, or the quality of the players in the league declines as clubs trim wages, or they rack up even more debt than they do now by trying to ignore the falling revenue numbers.

I think the biggest risk to football attendances would be the lower leagues. The Premier League grounds would still fill, not that it would matter as the TV income dwarfs the gate receipts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sam3110 said:

I think the biggest risk to football attendances would be the lower leagues. The Premier League grounds would still fill, not that it would matter as the TV income dwarfs the gate receipts.
    I think that Sky's 'Brand' of PL football also expects that grounds will be full (with the right type of punter of course) - as this demonstrates just how good their product is.

If we started seeing half empty PL games (and by no means are all PL games sellouts anymore) - then I think that this would affect the the ammount that sky (or anyone else) would be willing to pay for the rights in the future.
  • Options
    I would advise asking for an hybrid LNB when going Sky Q. My Sky Q mini box has stopped working after 10 days and an engineer can't get to me until Sat week. Because I had an Hybrid LNB installed I was able to reconnect the old sky box in the meantime.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Was an earlier adopter of Sky Q and have to say they have improved the stability in that time. There were lots of bugs in the software when it first came out and I was getting increasingly fed up with restarting boxes and reconnecting to the main box.

A few software patches have improved things, however you do still get random wifi disconnects every now and again and occasionally recordings fail - you just get a black screen.

If you are using mini boxes via wifi you need a decent signal - my old Bt router wasn't really up to the task - thankfully when I moaned to BT they replaced it with their new Smarthub which is a vast improvement.

What I would say is when things are working as they should it is an excellent system.

4k football is amazing as is the HD upscaling.
  • Options

Was an earlier adopter of Sky Q and have to say they have improved the stability in that time. There were lots of bugs in the software when it first came out and I was getting increasingly fed up with restarting boxes and reconnecting to the main box.

A few software patches have improved things, however you do still get random wifi disconnects every now and again and occasionally recordings fail - you just get a black screen.

If you are using mini boxes via wifi you need a decent signal - my old Bt router wasn't really up to the task - thankfully when I moaned to BT they replaced it with their new Smarthub which is a vast improvement.

What I would say is when things are working as they should it is an excellent system.

I still wish you would tell me if an episode has been viewed. I am for ever getting a couple of episodes into a box set and then when I come back to it a few weeks later I can never remember where I am and similarly the box has helpfully downloaded any episodes I previously deleted.

I love sky Q but there are some basic things that are missing

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I still wish you would tell me if an episode has been viewed. I am for ever getting a couple of episodes into a box set and then when I come back to it a few weeks later I can never remember where I am and similarly the box has helpfully downloaded any episodes I previously deleted.

Agreed. Reminders is a big one for me. Drives me nuts that they are no-longer available.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Agreed. Reminders is a big one for me. Drives me nuts that they are no-longer available.
    Agreed. You are pretty much forced to record everything now. They should definitely bring back the reminder function.
  • Options
    Loved Sky Q but had to revert back to HD as the wifi was so poor even with a booster box.

Sky still admit that this is very much an ongoing project that is still hit and miss in some households.

However, their customer service is much improved so the overall process has been relatively painless.
  • Options

Very similar experience Clem. I was resetting boxes once or twice a day. It's now once a week. The touch remote is too sensitive to be useful so we use the button one. I will try pairing the old Sky remotes as has been suggested.
  • Options
    If anyone is looking to joining Sky then give me a shout. I can currently get you a friends and family discount for £35pm you will get all the channels including box sets, sports and movies all in HD. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Careful mate. I think there might be specific Ts and Cs about putting those offers on forums.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TBF to Sky, I got Sky Q for exactly the same price as I was paying for Sky
  • Options

Me too. I use a Logitech Harmony hub. Much better, controls everything and I can use the app on my iPhone and iPad.
  • Options
    I've downloaded the playoff final on my sky q box today, it's brightened up my day! Marked it as "keep", so the wife can't delete it by mistake.
  • Options

I've downloaded the playoff final on my sky q box today, it's brightened up my day! Marked it as "keep", so the wife can't delete it by mistake.

Me too. I also downloaded the 4-4 draw against London United.
    I can now watch us winning promotion, scoring eight goals and a shed load of penalties, two full stadiums with thousands of Charlton supporters all loving our club and not hating being there, a couple of home grown players playing in the premiership while actually playing for us and a youth product against us, an English manager not a useless English puppet and a club that was well run and the envy of the English football world.
    We should have been sponsored by Calsberg, things were that good.
  • Options
    I considered upgrading to Sky Q but I don't think it's really worth it. I spoke to a mate of mine who works for Sky and he said 'If you have a Ultra HD TV then it's worth upgrading to Sky Q but if you don't then it's not worth it'
  • Options
    Latest patch has caused an issue. Every night at 11.35 all mini boxes lose connection for 5-10 mins. Apparently Sky are working on it.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

I considered upgrading to Sky Q but I don't think it's really worth it. I spoke to a mate of mine who works for Sky and he said 'If you have a Ultra HD TV then it's worth upgrading to Sky Q but if you don't then it's not worth it'

Depends on what you have to be honest. I just had Sky multi room (not HD) and have upgraded at no extra cost. Well worth it for me as I now have HD channels
  • Options
    Sky Q is getting a bad time on BBCs Watchdog tonight. Is everyone still relatively happy?
  • Options
    Had it for 4 weeks. Generally very good but some niggles, no favourites option so have to scroll through all the channels, also from time to time the mini boxes loose the signal which is rather annoying. On the good side ultra hd for footie is brill and steaming our music all over the house is a good bonus.
  • Options

Had it for 4 weeks. Generally very good but some niggles, no favourites option so have to scroll through all the channels, also from time to time the mini boxes loose the signal which is rather annoying. On the good side ultra hd for footie is brill and steaming our music all over the house is a good bonus.

"steaming" - I really can't keep up with the phrases used by the kids of today.