Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will Trump become President?

Comments

• Comparing trump to Hitler, okay...
    Can you guys send me the link showing Trump killing 6 million plus innocent people??? I can't find it anywhere?!

Do you think Hitler had six million plus people killed and THEN got elected?
    Ohhhhhh so you're assuming he's going to kill multi millions of people then?? Wel that's perfectly rationale in that case...
    Not at all. Trump is a horrific human being but I don't imagine he'll ever oversee a monstrosity like the Holocaust. I'm just trying to determine the logic of your argument.
    I was trying to determine the logic of those who keep mentioned him and hitler together, it's cringe worthy.
  • edited March 2016
    In some respects yes, but he has said a lot of hateful things about both Mexicans and Muslims, comparable to some of the views Hitler held about Jews eight or nine decades ago.

Blaming all of your countries problems on an ethnic minority isn't a new phenomenon, it happens all the time. It's just that Hitler is the easiest to reference and most notorious for doing so.
    Can you guys send me the link showing Trump killing 6 million plus innocent people??? I can't find it anywhere?!

Ohhhhhh so you're assuming he's going to kill multi millions of people then?? Wel that's perfectly rationale in that case...
    Not at all. Trump is a horrific human being but I don't imagine he'll ever oversee a monstrosity like the Holocaust. I'm just trying to determine the logic of your argument.
    I was trying to determine the logic of those who keep mentioned him and hitler together, it's cringe worthy.
    I agree. Trump is not equitable to Hitler. I was guilty of saying similar things about George Bush, and people on the far-right (BR7 when I say "far right" in American terms, there isn't really a UK equivalent apart from maybe the BNP) say the same thing about Obama. Frankly, neither are remotely true and neither help the discourse.

As to the rise of Trump and that kind of rhetoric, @thenewbie makes a very good point, it has been a progression, and he is a symptom of a larger problem. Have a meeting in a couple minutes but more on that later.

One thing you can't argue with is they both have charisma on the big stage.
  • Hark at someone from Chislehurst claiming that there is no such thing as institution racism and some people just need to pull their socks up!

Nice assumption but I no longer live there, and when I did it wasn't "posh" Chislehurst. So what's your point exactly?? Unless you lived in a shithole you're not entitled to an opinion?
    When was Chislehurst not posh, 1784? Your opinion is like Shay Given's on the protest.
    Is chiselhurst posh?

I mean have you seen their duck pond? You would t see that level of rubbish up blackheath.

It's posh like streatham and parts of hackney not posh like Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Putney and Chiswick.

Posher than parts of deptford and Woolwich.
  • 1StevieG said:

Comparing trump to Hitler, okay...

One thing you can't argue with is they both have charisma on the big stage.
    Fun fact, Hitler went through pretty extensive speaking training. His speaking coach was a Jew.

Life is weird

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Jan_Hanussen
  • MrOneLung said:

Hi SD, can you expand on bit in bold please.
    What ID and registration hurdles are there?

Surely you have to have ID and register to vote - we do here anyway.

@MrOneLung here's an example from yesterday of the problem problem surrounding access to voting. This is not related to IDs, but it's dirty tricks surrounding the number of "polling places" (places where you can vote can't remember if the term is the same there). The "Voting Rights Act," which was recently ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court, enforced a lot of regulations to ensure access to voting, particularly in certain states with bad track records.

http://www.thenation.com/article/there-were-five-hour-lines-to-vote-in-arizona-because-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act/
  • Interesting. Thanks SD.
  • Is this still going on? Wasn't there "issues" when George W got in with faulty voting machines in poor black areas. Hanging chads and all that
  • McBobbin said:

Is this still going on? Wasn't there "issues" when George W got in with faulty voting machines in poor black areas. Hanging chads and all that

This is different.

With George W. Bush and Florida in 2000, it was more an issue of the ballots being ridiculously confusing, and presented a problem in communities with older people (Jews) who vote Democrat. There were issues with people voting twice for president because they didn't understand. The hanging chad thing was where they started to vote one way then the other. How to recount the ballots (by hand or machine) was where the hanging chad thing became a problem, and that went to the Supreme Court of the US, which ruled 5-4 along party lines in favor of not hand counting the ballots.

The conspiracy theorist still-bitter teenager in me would tell you that no Bush will ever lose Florida as long as all the ex-CIA retirees and anti-Castro Cubans live there because they can manipulate elections like they did throughout the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

The slightly more grown-up 30 year old would say it was a clusterfuck of shenanigans that wasn't so much nefarious as it was embarrassingly stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hark at someone from Chislehurst claiming that there is no such thing as institution racism and some people just need to pull their socks up!

Nice assumption but I no longer live there, and when I did it wasn't "posh" Chislehurst. So what's your point exactly?? Unless you lived in a shithole you're not entitled to an opinion?
    When was Chislehurst not posh, 1784? Your opinion is like Shay Given's on the protest.
    Is chiselhurst posh?

I mean have you seen their duck pond? You would t see that level of rubbish up blackheath.

It's posh like streatham and parts of hackney not posh like Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Putney and Chiswick.

Posher than parts of deptford and Woolwich.
    There's nothing posh about the queens head that's for sure.
  • Yeah Chislehurst, is as posh as parts of crackney!
  • edited March 2016
    SDAddick said:

McBobbin said:

Is this still going on? Wasn't there "issues" when George W got in with faulty voting machines in poor black areas. Hanging chads and all that

This is different.

The conspiracy theorist still-bitter teenager in me would tell you that
    You've recently eaten a teenager?
    My god!
    America. Crazy place, crazy people!
    ;-)
  • No Idea Andy never heard a Chinese person swear

Borrocks.
  • You know this election is really crazy when you open a Youtube video in another tab and without seeing the video all you can hear is this American voice ranting about Muslim invaders marauding across the land and think 'Did I open a Donald Trump supporter video by accident?' and it turns out to be a pre-video advert for a video game set in the Crusades. Like you cannot even tell apart the views of Donald Trump and the dramatisation of a 12th century crusader.
  • Did I get this right; Donald Trump has called for women who have had abortions to be punished when he's in power (and he makes it illegal)? And then he backtracked and just said to prosecute the doctors?

Where do you even start with that comment!?
  • edited March 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Did I get this right; Donald Trump has called for women who have had abortions to be punished when he's in power (and he makes it illegal)? And then he backtracked and just said to prosecute the doctors?

I don't really care what he says, and never have to be honest. He says whatever he thinks will play to his base. And it does. The fact that America has sexists and racists and Islamaphobes and people who think abortion equates to murder and thus must be met with an eye for an eye justice is not new. They've been around and they're not going away. Just can't wait for it all to be over so the civilized citizens in the country (right, left, and center) can go back to ignoring the extremists for a while.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/31/donald-trump-abortion-comments-terryifying-truth-for-women?CMP=twt_gu
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Did I get this right; Donald Trump has called for women who have had abortions to be punished when he's in power (and he makes it illegal)? And then he backtracked and just said to prosecute the doctors?

And people attack Ted Cruz for changing his policies as regularly as the wind changes direction. So you have Lying Ted and flip flopping Trump.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

No doubt someone will defend him on here....
  • IAIA
    edited April 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Did I get this right; Donald Trump has called for women who have had abortions to be punished when he's in power (and he makes it illegal)?

I don't understand the controversy about this. It's the natural conclusion of a law than bans abortion.

If anyone does think that's controversial, then you should look a bit closer to home, as a woman in Northern Ireland is currently facing charges for procuring her own abortion

Trump flip-flops all the time. He doesn't want to win anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• You think it's natural to prosecute people for something that was legal at the time?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

You think it's natural to prosecute people for something that was legal at the time?

Oh, missed the past tense, sorry. That's weird. Was he definitely talking about people who have had abortions before any change to the law?

I think it's a natural conclusion to punish people for doing something that's banned. If you believe in a ban, then surely you would punish people who do it. If you think abortion is murder, then punishing only the doctor would be the equivalent of punishing only the hitman. SDAddick's link covers this. Whether these things should be banned or not is another question.

I still think that we should look closer to home, to a woman in the UK who is being prosecuted.
  • IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

You think it's natural to prosecute people for something that was legal at the time?

Oh, missed the past tense, sorry. That's weird. Was he definitely talking about people who have had abortions before any change to the law?

I think it's a natural conclusion to punish people for doing something that's banned. If you believe in a ban, then surely you would punish people who do it. If you think abortion is murder, then punishing only the doctor would be the equivalent of punishing only the hitman. SDAddick's link covers this. Whether these things should be banned or not is another question.

I still think that we should look closer to home, to a woman in the UK who is being prosecuted.
    Sticky situation though given tensions in Ireland. Any attempt to relax the law and I think you would see scenes similar to the attacks on family planning clinics in America.
  • Fiiish said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Sticky situation though given tensions in Ireland. Any attempt to relax the law and I think you would see scenes similar to the attacks on family planning clinics in America.
    What type of group do you think would be involved or associated with an attack like that in Ireland? Can you name any?

That's not the IRA or UVF game, by the way.
  • IA said:

Fiiish said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

What type of group do you think would be involved or associated with an attack like that in Ireland? Can you name any?

That's not the IRA or UVF game, by the way.
    Don't think it would be a group, but all the necessary elements to make a scenario likely are all there.
  • He wasn't talking about abortion - He was talking about illegal abortions.

He said when an illegal abortion was performed the woman should be punished - but could not state what that punishment should be.

He then backtracked to say only the doctor / person performing an illegal abortion should be punished and not the woman who is a victim.
  • To see what will happen if Trump ever becomes president and the after effects of that, please see the movie Idiocracy.
  • MrOneLung said:

He wasn't talking about abortion - He was talking about illegal abortions.

He said when an illegal abortion was performed the woman should be punished - but could not state what that punishment should be.

He then backtracked to say only the doctor / person performing an illegal abortion should be punished and not the woman who is a victim.

But these illegal abortions would take place after he had made abortions illegal, because abortions are legal in the US. Well, kind of.
  • In fairness, and as someone who in no way endorses anything about Trump, Trump's remarks were clumsy and ham-fisted. Abortion is one of those areas where even well-rehearsed and compassionate opinions on the subject can be considered controversial and divisive, and you have a guy like Trump referring to abortion where, if it was criminalised, being treated like a crime just like a fraudster or a burglar would be considered a criminal.

To be honest I don't think Trump really cares about abortion, or women in general. Maybe he thought he was being clever by adding 'if it was illegal they should be punished' since who could disagree reasonably with those committing illegal acts, whatever their nature, being punished in principle. I have a feeling he will come out looking a lot cleaner than he should though, it seems to be his main strength.