Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will Trump become President?

Comments

• It seems increasingly likely that Trump will face Clinton. In those circumstances I think its anyones guess. If you look at the make-up of the voters, vast numbers of who have no real understanding of World affairs, think about their gun laws as they watch hundreds of their students being mown down by some crackpot, its impossible to know what will happen. With America's history either candidate or even both could be assassinated by some nutcase. Perhaps we should send them off to the OK Corral to sort it out !
  • edited February 2016
    Granpa said:

It seems increasingly likely that Trump will face Clinton. In those circumstances I think its anyones guess. If you look at the make-up of the voters, vast numbers of who have no real understanding of World affairs, think about their gun laws as they watch hundreds of their students being mown down by some crackpot, its impossible to know what will happen. With America's history either candidate or even both could be assassinated by some nutcase. Perhaps we should send them off to the OK Corral to sort it out !

I'm still not convinced that Trump will get the Rebublican nomination - we'll have a better idea next Tuesday (Super Tuesday). But if he does then in a face off with Clinton I believe (and hope of course) that Clinton would win by a landslide.

The world would be immeasurably more unsafe than it is now if Trump was the Commander in Chief.
  • My personal opinion is that the Trump bandwagon will derail at some time as the head of steam continues I can imagine that this egomanic at some point will say something so outrageous or frightening that it willl pull the whole thing up short.

What is there left for him to say?

Serious question.
  • He is taking a long time to release his tax returns. Based on his history of brazenly trying to shaft everyone he has done business with (because he is a tough guy!) you can't help thinking he has employed some dubious practices to avoid paying his fair share of taxes. When Romney finally released his tax returns and they showed he payed less than 15% of his millions of dollars per year income in taxes it did enormous damage to his campaign.
  • shine166 said:

Am I allowed to borrow the lefty tactic of being offended on behalf of others for this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad you covered the 'educate yourself' bit. Always winds me up!
  • I keep seeing this idiot asking his crowd who's going to pay for his wall? Has anyone actually asked the Mexican government their thoughts on paying for this wall? Genuinely interested in their response.

BTW I don't think we should get too superior about our own populace. The level of referendum debate on my local rag's website for example inevitably and rapidly descends into rhetorical nonsense equating the EU with the Third Reich. I saw one post recently making a (completely serious!) suggestion that we should use the money saved from EU membership to build our own wall. They were unable to elaborate on where this wall would be of course but that didn't stop plenty of others thinking this was a great idea.
  • Across the entrance to the Channel Tunnel, obv
  • Leuth said:

Across the entrance to the Channel Tunnel, obv

and around Northern Ireland
  • If Trump is successful americans everywhere be like:
    I get my guns back
  • I always thought a door at the top of Beachy Head which opens to a good long drop to the rocks would do.

Then it's...

1) Foreigners
    2) Lefty's
    3) Liberals
    4) Palarse

In that order.

Surely the money saved from the EU could pay for this?
  • cafctom said:

shine166 said:

Am I allowed to borrow the lefty tactic of being offended on behalf of others for this?

Sure, you can have our tactics.. You right wing nutjob ye
  • Dazzler21 said:

If Trump is successful americans everywhere be like:
    I get my guns back

Get their guns back? Rednecks keep whinging that Obama is going to take their guns, whilst US gun sales and gun ownership have been at an all time high under Obama.
  • I always thought a door at the top of Beachy Head which opens to a good long drop to the rocks would do.

Then it's...

1) Foreigners
    2) Lefty's
    3) Liberals
    4) Palarse

In that order.

I think you may have the order wrong there.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

I always thought a door at the top of Beachy Head which opens to a good long drop to the rocks would do.

Then it's...

1) Foreigners
    2) Lefty's
    3) Liberals
    4) Palarse

In that order.

I think you may have the order wrong there.
    I would have referendum on the order.
  • Throw 'bigots' into the running and I'm game :P

Then it's...

1) Foreigners
    2) Lefty's
    3) Liberals
    4) Palarse

In that order.

I take it we're assuming Millwall fans aren't smart enough to walk through a door?
  • The problem I see it is that some Ameican citizens see Trump as "one of them" saying the things they want to hear about immigration, Muslim influence etc. but fail to see behind the mask that here is a dangerous meglomaniac who could walk the world into Armageddon. I work for a US company and when I talk to colleagues they admire this bellicose approach in my experience, the most loved President of recent times remains Ronald Reagan but the big difference between him and Trump was that he was surrounded by very talented people who he listened to, you can't imagine Trump doing that.

Interestingly it is hard to find anyone with a good word to say about Obama they generally think he has been useless but all through his tenure he has been hampered by Congress. So you ask yourself what is The Presdident for? My personal opinion is that the Trump bandwagon will derail at some time as the head of steam continues I can imagine that this egomanic at some point will say something so outrageous or frightening that it willl pull the whole thing up short. At least I hope so because the thought of Trump and Putin getting into a pissing contest is truely scary.

As for Hillary Clinton a more unlikeable person is hard to imagine at least old Bill had charm and the chutzpah to try and convice the world that a blow job isn't sex

It's a very good point, and @limeygent posted a Washington Post article that mimics something run in The Guardian this morning which is that Americans are mad. We saw this with the Tea Party movement. We see this with the anti-Government Bundy movement in Oregon and Nevada, and we see it with Trump's popularity. Limey and I may not agree on much, if perhaps anything, but he is clearly mad at the political establishment, as am I, though for different reasons.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/24/donald-trump-victory-nevada-caucus-voter-anger

Quick note on the above, the notion that the DC Beltway, politicians, media, companies, are out of touch with the rest of American is not unique to the right. I just left a company I'd worked for for two years, headquartered in DC, because they basically wanted me to go to DC and become what's called a Beltway Bandit, someone who sells to the Government anything they can. I'd had success and built a very profitable arm of the business through smart business in software development in California, usually in my pajamas.

Where I disagree with you Dave is that Americans kind of think Trump is one of them, but also that when they're rich they will be like him. This is such a quintessentially American thing, summed up well in the stories of Horatio Alger. Large chunks of Americans vote against their current economic interest because they want to protect the interests of the rich for when they become rich. It is part of the American Dream, or Dystopian Dream as I would argue. But you see it time and again, particularly on the right (though on the left you will get characters like Hillary and John Kerry, hippie leftists who gone on to make shedloads of cash).

The above is fascinating, and something worth it's own academic examination. I've got to take the dog out and jump on a call, but this is something else I'll see if I can track down some literature on.
  • If it's a Clinton-Trump race there'll never be a better chance of a 3rd party candidate becoming President. Don't know who it will be (pick a Billionaire!) but I'd keep an eye on Bloomberg for one.
  • SDAddick said:

The problem I see it is that some Ameican citizens see Trump as "one of them" saying the things they want to hear about immigration, Muslim influence etc. but fail to see behind the mask that here is a dangerous meglomaniac who could walk the world into Armageddon. I work for a US company and when I talk to colleagues they admire this bellicose approach in my experience, the most loved President of recent times remains Ronald Reagan but the big difference between him and Trump was that he was surrounded by very talented people who he listened to, you can't imagine Trump doing that.

Interestingly it is hard to find anyone with a good word to say about Obama they generally think he has been useless but all through his tenure he has been hampered by Congress. So you ask yourself what is The Presdident for? My personal opinion is that the Trump bandwagon will derail at some time as the head of steam continues I can imagine that this egomanic at some point will say something so outrageous or frightening that it willl pull the whole thing up short. At least I hope so because the thought of Trump and Putin getting into a pissing contest is truely scary.

As for Hillary Clinton a more unlikeable person is hard to imagine at least old Bill had charm and the chutzpah to try and convice the world that a blow job isn't sex

It's a very good point, and @limeygent posted a Washington Post article that mimics something run in The Guardian this morning which is that Americans are mad. We saw this with the Tea Party movement. We see this with the anti-Government Bundy movement in Oregon and Nevada, and we see it with Trump's popularity. Limey and I may not agree on much, if perhaps anything, but he is clearly mad at the political establishment, as am I, though for different reasons.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/24/donald-trump-victory-nevada-caucus-voter-anger

Quick note on the above, the notion that the DC Beltway, politicians, media, companies, are out of touch with the rest of American is not unique to the right. I just left a company I'd worked for for two years, headquartered in DC, because they basically wanted me to go to DC and become what's called a Beltway Bandit, someone who sells to the Government anything they can. I'd had success and built a very profitable arm of the business through smart business in software development in California, usually in my pajamas.

Where I disagree with you Dave is that Americans kind of think Trump is one of them, but also that when they're rich they will be like him. This is such a quintessentially American thing, summed up well in the stories of Horatio Alger. Large chunks of Americans vote against their current economic interest because they want to protect the interests of the rich for when they become rich. It is part of the American Dream, or Dystopian Dream as I would argue. But you see it time and again, particularly on the right (though on the left you will get characters like Hillary and John Kerry, hippie leftists who gone on to make shedloads of cash).

The above is fascinating, and something worth it's own academic examination. I've got to take the dog out and jump on a call, but this is something else I'll see if I can track down some literature on.
    Didn't they mind you wearing your pj's to the office? Blimey, this dress down Friday thing has moved on...

• Didn't they mind you wearing your pj's to the office? Blimey, this dress down Friday thing has moved on...

I work from home most days, so they just have to look at my ugly, unwashed mug on video calls, they don't have to smell me :).

If I go into the office I'll usually throw shorts and flip flops on (it's currently 26C here, in February FFS)
  • edited February 2016
    SDAddick said:

Didn't they mind you wearing your pj's to the office? Blimey, this dress down Friday thing has moved on...

I work from home most days, so they just have to look at my ugly, unwashed mug on video calls, they don't have to smell me :).

If I go into the office I'll usually throw shorts and flip flops on (it's currently 26C here, in February FFS)
    I thought of the title to my autobiography some time ago, but as I doubt I will write it, you can have it SD: "Programming in Pants" (of course that's the UK definition of pants).
  • Leuth said:

limeygent said:

SDAddick said:

limeygent said:
    A decent case to be made that she violated the Federal Records act. The FOIA thing, yeah whatever. FOIA requests aren't law, and requests for personal emails often go unheard.

I am very much in favor of knowing about breaches of security by the US Government. And also, when and why Americans are killed in sovereign nations overseas. But why the fuck would we start with personal emails and Benghazi? You want an inquiry and a trial, great, join those of us who've spent the better part of a decade on why thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of civilians have died overseas. Or the countless "informants" we threw millions at who were lying to us and playing both sides and sold information on to those who used it against us.

If you want to not like Hillary Clinton, both Clintons really, there are SO many reasons to choose from. Look at her relationship with insert large company here. Try to determine if the bombings of Chad, Iraq, and parts of Serbia/Bosnia/Kosovo count as war crimes. Google Whitewater. Watch the film "Primary Colors," for a humorous take on the actions of Mr. Clinton. But FFS we've already spent millions investigating the Benghazi nonsense, and there has been no evidence put forth that the emails she was dealing with had information that at the time was Classified (see my post on PII and PHI). Your witch hunt seems to be about accusing someone of being a witch because she has a broom. Why not at least have the intellectual decency to figure out what's in that cauldron over there!

Alex Out.
    There's so much wrong in this post I just wish I had the time........including a veiled insult of my intelligence. The usual lefty tactic.
    I have to go out and make a living so that I can fulfill Mr. Obama's ever increasing demands on my efforts, otherwise I'd continue to answer your points one by one.
    "This is all wrong but I haven't time to demonstrate why" = the usual righty tactic
    Worked 18 hours today, so when I say I don't have time, it's because I don't have time.
  • limeygent said:

Worked 18 hours today, so when I say I don't have time, it's because I don't have time.

Genuinely feel for you fella, I'm no stranger to long days/weeks myself.