Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defend our Den Petition

Comments

• Options
    One point that occurs to me from this issue, is that local councils probably want sports arenas to be sited where THEY think they should be - not where many were built decades ago.

This could be why Lewisham seem to be playing "hardball" with the spanners over this land.

I suspect that Lewisham have a scheme tucked away to move the toolbox somewhere else in the borough - and redevelop the existing site as housing.

When RD puts a similar idea to Greenwich in a few years time - they will snap it up, we could end up in some kind of ground-share with someone and RD will get his investment in CAFC repaid.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Off_it said:

Slightly more to it than that and more context, but yes, the nub of it is the club want to develop the parcels of land they lease (which includes the Lions Centre and permanently housing the MCT)

The issues have been that Renewal through various guises have been land banking for over a decade and appear to be in cahoots with some important ex-Lewisham council members.

Millwall approached the council with outline plans but were effectively given the brush off, despite the club offering more community based developments (affordable housing & giving some profits back to the council).

Lewisham have pressed ahead with renewal and not revealed what the offers were on the parcels of land we lease. The suspicion is they are being sold on an industrial use value and when planning is approved Renewal can flip them for a big profit as residential use land values, lining the pockets of ex-council members.

Then there is the issue of the Millwall Community Trust who are permanently based in the Lions Centre. The proposed Renewal plans would make them homeless and only give them the option to 'book' a shared space. This I've been informed will impact grants issued to the MCT.

Further concerns are that Renewal don't have the capital or expertise to fully develop this. Is it just a ploy to get planning then flip plots of land off to the highest bidders to develop themselves. As each plot is bid the games begin with the council and discharging of planning conditions as no private developer wants to waste money on affordable housing, multi faith centres, community space etc. All losses of sales values.

Millwall FC seem to have acted very naively over the past few years and of course the ultimate goal is to develop the land they lease & have leased for 20+ years to help sustain the club for the long term future.

I personally would be pissed off to the see the MCT affected but sort of understand Lewisham backing Renewal if those parcels of land are integral to the overall scheme.

However, too much of it stinks, especially the links between Renewal & Lewisham and the way they have tried shrugging off Millwall. The long term fear is once we lose control of those parcels of land and we no longer own our car park....what's to stop Lewisham looking to sell off the ground too? There are covenants in place, but in planning policy departments money talks.

The arrogance of Renewal & Lewisham and the seemingly underhand goings on are what reeks and annoys many.

The Public Interest issue is that Lewisham only want to sell to Renewal (using a CPO to take the land back from Millwall for peanuts) then sell onto Renewal at a tribunal assessed value, rather than let Millwall and Renewal competitively bid for the land. Millwall's chairman could easily outbid Renewal for the land without having to borrow money.

The rationale from Lewisham is that they want Renewal to be able to implement its entire masterplan, but Millwall's similar plan (for this part of the larger site) is inline with it anyway. Millwall's scheme would integrate the Hotel and Sports Centre with the Stadium (making them more viable), Renewals would be separate. Millwall would be open to profit sharing with the council, no word from renewal on what they are offering the council apart from the purchase price.

Millwall could deliver the project earlier than Renewal who are reliant on packaging up the scheme and selling it on to developers to build.

Berylson did out bid renewal, but Lewisham still offered it to renewal. A company that doesn't have the means or the funds to develop the area.

Sorry, what does that mean?

Or are you saying that Millwall - the heavily loss making football club with no property development experience - is somehow better equipped to develop the area than a property development company who are already signed up to develop the wider area?

Either way the land will probably be flipped on to an actual housing developer to build out, so the only issue is whether Millwall make some cash or someone else does. That's the bottom line here.
    No, Millwall as a club aren't, but our multi millionaire American owner is.

'Property Development company' ? Renewal? To my knowledge they haven't done any property developing. They're a company who were thrown together by ex-members of Lewisham council and friends to buy up the land around the den on the cheap and probably sell on at a extortionate rate.
    Lol, so we're all agreed then. There's nothing in it either way for Millwall, but their owner may make a pound note.

And let's say that he does. You reckon he's gonna hang around and spend it on you? Or maybe do you think this might've been his play and the reason for investing all along?
  • Options

One point that occurs to me from this issue, is that local councils probably want sports arenas to be sited where THEY think they should be - not where many were built decades ago.

This could be why Lewisham seem to be playing "hardball" with the spanners over this land.

I suspect that Lewisham have a scheme tucked away to move the toolbox somewhere else in the borough - and redevelop the existing site as housing.

When RD puts a similar idea to Greenwich in a few years time - they will snap it up, we could end up in some kind of ground-share with someone and RD will get his investment in CAFC repaid.

I think the Council own the new ground anyway and I think this is something like their sixth ground. Quite the gypsie club really. The developer has put 60 mil into the development and will the plan includes new tube links. Millwall have put in one planning application which was based on the Council giving them the land.

There is no threat what so ever to their ground or their survival.

They just want public money to subsidies their club. No surprise really that they are not supporting the fans of London over the Olympic park, is it?
  • Options

There's nowhere else in Lewisham borough they could move to. The Den's right on the boundary with Southwark as it is.

I imagine Berylson bought Millwall with an eye on redeveloping some of the site - frankly, he'd be mad not to have done. It is an odd row considering Lewisham helped facilitate the move to Senegal Fields all those years ago, and frankly, I don't blame him for feeling screwed over.

This is another example of a council trying to hand over land to unaccountable private firms who'll promise to "regenerate", but instead will milk the land for the biggest profit and the smallest public gain; anyone who's seen Greenwich's dealings with Berkeley Homes will recognise the pattern. It just happens that in this case, it's Millwall feeling screwed over, but it could be any business - the Charlton riverside (including the site of Siemens Meadows) is soon in line for this kind of treatment.
  • Options

...which is why former Greenwich leader and outright nasty piece of work Chris Roberts earmarked Morden Wharf for a sporting arena.
  • Options
    Of course they are having a giggle at our expense, wouldn't you if it was them? Our club is a total shower of shit right now.
    People on here went into melt down when they went down last year, something I knew would come back to haunt us. Just like it did with Palace and where they are now.

I've signed it, for me the rivalry isn't a hateful one as I have loads of mates who are millwall.
  • Options
    signed it
  • Options
    IA said:

Whereas Millwall have completely different plans. They want to line John Berylson's pockets from the exact same development.

Similar plans, which would not require a CPO to grab the land and would earn the council more money.

• Options

Slightly more to it than that and more context, but yes, the nub of it is the club want to develop the parcels of land they lease (which includes the Lions Centre and permanently housing the MCT)

The issues have been that Renewal through various guises have been land banking for over a decade and appear to be in cahoots with some important ex-Lewisham council members.

Millwall approached the council with outline plans but were effectively given the brush off, despite the club offering more community based developments (affordable housing & giving some profits back to the council).

Lewisham have pressed ahead with renewal and not revealed what the offers were on the parcels of land we lease. The suspicion is they are being sold on an industrial use value and when planning is approved Renewal can flip them for a big profit as residential use land values, lining the pockets of ex-council members.

Then there is the issue of the Millwall Community Trust who are permanently based in the Lions Centre. The proposed Renewal plans would make them homeless and only give them the option to 'book' a shared space. This I've been informed will impact grants issued to the MCT.

Further concerns are that Renewal don't have the capital or expertise to fully develop this. Is it just a ploy to get planning then flip plots of land off to the highest bidders to develop themselves. As each plot is bid the games begin with the council and discharging of planning conditions as no private developer wants to waste money on affordable housing, multi faith centres, community space etc. All losses of sales values.

Millwall FC seem to have acted very naively over the past few years and of course the ultimate goal is to develop the land they lease & have leased for 20+ years to help sustain the club for the long term future.

I personally would be pissed off to the see the MCT affected but sort of understand Lewisham backing Renewal if those parcels of land are integral to the overall scheme.

However, too much of it stinks, especially the links between Renewal & Lewisham and the way they have tried shrugging off Millwall. The long term fear is once we lose control of those parcels of land and we no longer own our car park....what's to stop Lewisham looking to sell off the ground too? There are covenants in place, but in planning policy departments money talks.

The arrogance of Renewal & Lewisham and the seemingly underhand goings on are what reeks and annoys many.

The Public Interest issue is that Lewisham only want to sell to Renewal (using a CPO to take the land back from Millwall for peanuts) then sell onto Renewal at a tribunal assessed value, rather than let Millwall and Renewal competitively bid for the land. Millwall's chairman could easily outbid Renewal for the land without having to borrow money.

The rationale from Lewisham is that they want Renewal to be able to implement its entire masterplan, but Millwall's similar plan (for this part of the larger site) is inline with it anyway. Millwall's scheme would integrate the Hotel and Sports Centre with the Stadium (making them more viable), Renewals would be separate. Millwall would be open to profit sharing with the council, no word from renewal on what they are offering the council apart from the purchase price.

Millwall could deliver the project earlier than Renewal who are reliant on packaging up the scheme and selling it on to developers to build.

Berylson did out bid renewal, but Lewisham still offered it to renewal. A company that doesn't have the means or the funds to develop the area.

and is headed by an ex-Lewisham planning bod.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not read the thread. Just out of curiosity, have they shown any support at all for us?
  • Options

and is headed by an ex-Lewisham planning bod.
    Stinks doesn't it.

• Options

Not read the thread. Just out of curiosity, have they shown any support at all for us?

No.

Or supported the London fans trying to get to the truth of the Olympic stadium.

They think we are numpties. They maybe right; so many signing in support.

Madness.

Great news for all those with mates who are Millwall fans or want to make sure that all clubs, including rivals survive. THE GROUND, THEIR SURVIVAL, THE COMMUNITY CENTRE IS NOT IN DANGER.

It is ONLY about the money. See article in tonight's London Evening Standard.

• Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

No.

Or supported the London fans trying to get to the truth of the Olympic stadium.

They think we are numpties. They maybe right; so many signing in support.

Madness.

Great news for all those with mates who are Millwall fans or want to make sure that all clubs, including rivals survive. THE GROUND, THEIR SURVIVAL, THE COMMUNITY CENTRE IS NOT IN DANGER.

It is ONLY about the money. See article in tonight's London Evening Standard.

Link please.
  • Options
    I signed it, wished them luck, after all we had similar
  • Options
  • Options
    No, we didn't have similar. This is all about who gets to make a profit from developing a site. You can argue all you want about the bidding process, but there's no threat to their ground, other than they'll need to park their cars somewhere else.
  • Options

No, we didn't have similar. This is all about who gets to make a profit from developing a site. You can argue all you want about the bidding process, but there's no threat to their ground, other than they'll need to park their cars somewhere else.

Transits, SVA... Transits
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

I think the Council own the new ground anyway and I think this is something like their sixth ground. Quite the gypsie club really. The developer has put 60 mil into the development and will the plan includes new tube links. Millwall have put in one planning application which was based on the Council giving them the land.

They just want public money to subsidies their club. No surprise really that they are not supporting the fans of London over the Olympic park, is it?
    What public money are the club asking for? Don't let your hate cloud your judgement.

We can stand back & see that Millwall FC want to make money out of the land they have a lease on and wish to buy from Lewisham. Nobody on our side is denying that.

However, when you have a council so closely linked with a "developer" that has been quietly amassing local land for a decade and then has the council try to CPO land we lease without allowing us to bid, doesn't part of you think that something isn't adding up?

If you work in the development sector you'll know that not all planning conditions end up being discharged, some get negotiated away, many disappear following a payment to the council etc, so you're naive if you think the long term strategy isn't to line their own pockets at all others expense.
  • Options
    So from solely skim reading between the lines this is solely about wh makes the money from the redevelopment and either way would not threaten Millwall losing their ground let alone their existence.

Offit is a sensible poster and I like the cut of his jib and he's saying he's been involved in dealings to do with this and that's pretty much the case.

So every one signing up to this is in effect supporting a wealthy American multi millionaire becoming even wealthier. ..and having even more dough to spend on a local rival should he decide not to take the money and shuffle back stateside? All this at the detriment of a local London council?

Essentially the equivalent of us petitioning and asking Millwall and palace supporters to sign a petition to ensure that Duchatelet gets the bunce from redeveloping houses on Floyd road rather than Greenwich or Greenwich' s preferred developer because it will affect the club shop or West stand car park?

Happy to be corrected but I think that Berylson must be pissing himself in the knowledge he has got tens of thousands of limey cockernees signing up to support his business interests when if successful he could end up relocating the ground itself and levelling everything in the area himself one day without having to face the fall out from the comfort of one of his mansions in the US.

As I say more than happy to be corrected but it hardly seems like their version of Back to the Valley purely from reading above posts.

Reads to me like it is supporting a multi millionaire businessman owner in his moment of greed rather than necesarily supporting a local football club in their hour of need.
  • Options

Transits, SVA... Transits
    I thought they were all going around in that tail lift Luton that they borrowed from NLA.
  • Options

So from solely skim reading between the lines this is solely about wh makes the money from the redevelopment and either way would not threaten Millwall losing their ground let alone their existence.

Offit is a sensible poster and I like the cut of his jib and he's saying he's been involved in dealings to do with this and that's pretty much the case.

So every one signing up to this is in effect supporting a wealthy American multi millionaire becoming even wealthier. ..and having even more dough to spend on a local rival should he decide not to take the money and shuffle back stateside? All this at the detriment of a local London council?

Essentially the equivalent of us petitioning and asking Millwall and palace supporters to sign a petition to ensure that Duchatelet gets the bunce from redeveloping houses on Floyd road rather than Greenwich or Greenwich' s preferred developer because it will affect the club shop or West stand car park?

Happy to be corrected but I think that Berylson must be pissing himself in the knowledge he has got tens of thousands of limey cockernees signing up to support his business interests when if successful he could end up relocating the ground itself and levelling everything in the area himself one day without having to face the fall out from the comfort of one of his mansions in the US.

As I say more than happy to be corrected but it hardly seems like their version of Back to the Valley purely from reading above posts.

Reads to me like it is supporting a multi millionaire businessman owner in his moment of greed rather than necesarily supporting a local football club in their hour of need.

From what I can see on this thread no ones asked you to sign anything. The thread itself was started by a Charlton fan and people who signed did so off their own back.
  • Options
    if you have signed I think you are mad. There is no threat to their ground, no threat to the Club and no threat to their Community Scheme. Even if Renewal get the go-ahead they are going to build a new facility for Millwall's Community Scheme. All it's about is that Millwall want to profit from the regeneration of the area not another corporate entity. Mad, the lot of you.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

What public money are the club asking for? Don't let your hate cloud your judgement.

We can stand back & see that Millwall FC want to make money out of the land they have a lease on and wish to buy from Lewisham. Nobody on our side is denying that.

However, when you have a council so closely linked with a "developer" that has been quietly amassing local land for a decade and then has the council try to CPO land we lease without allowing us to bid, doesn't part of you think that something isn't adding up?

If you work in the development sector you'll know that not all planning conditions end up being discharged, some get negotiated away, many disappear following a payment to the council etc, so you're naive if you think the long term strategy isn't to line their own pockets at all others expense.
    Hate is a strong word. I would not bother to do anything to make life unpleasant for your club or supporters, but would do nothing to help either.

I do not understand the difference between asking for land for free and asking for money. Please explain.

Is the only thing you can come up with a petition? Not putting a great deal of effort into this are you?

Let's face it, when you sing "we don't care". Most of you mean it; and when it comes to Millwall, nor do I.

• Options
    Salt and vinegar for @Redrobo's shoulder.
  • Options

From what I can see on this thread no ones asked you to sign anything. The thread itself was started by a Charlton fan and people who signed did so off their own back.
    Under the moniker of "Defend our Den" which implies your ground is under threat and (which would be a well worthy cause to sign up against rivalry aside) and that's how it appears to have been construed by many posts above.

As I understand it, and correct me if wrong, it's a petition against multi millionaire Berylson not getting the property development rights essentially as Lewisham want to sell the land on to other parties.

Although having read a bit more about it since my post this morning I didn't realise it will involve the removal of the club car park and trust office so am more sympathetic to the club's argument having since read that.

It's dodgy ground putting your faith in one owner who as good as he's been for you is still ultimately a businessman with no real history with your club or SE London and maybe cynical but wouldn't be surprised if he one day shafted the club and made silly money out of the prime real estate it sits upon.

If rights to the land or development were put in escrow or ring fenced for your club as an entity as opposed to an individual businessman surely that would be more palatable for both Lewisham and Millwall supporters?
  • Options

Salt and vinegar for @Redrobo's shoulder.

And exactly how have I been treated unfairly? What grudge do you think I have?

I can see you were having a stab at humour, but a bit more effort please.

• Options

Although having read a bit more about it since my post this morning I didn't realise it will involve the removal of the club car park and trust office so am more sympathetic to the club's argument having since read that.

As far as I can see, Millwall's plans involve the removal of the club car park, and both plans involve moving the trust office