Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardiff (H) Feb 2016: Pinnochio Day!

Comments

• Options

What was her main gripe with Rick?

She really had nothing to say except a rather strange idea that I might be worried about speaking to her face to face. I'm guessing that the background to this is that I don't routinely cross the road, stand in her way or shout at her when she arrives at work four hours after her staff, which is quite true. I usually ignore her, indeed I don't always notice her.

The reason I don't confront her is that I think it both could and would appear aggressive - and provide the opportunity for her to play the victim, which she's very good at. I'm not playing that game, thanks.

She did exactly the right thing today by embracing the protest (accepting a sticker and a mask) and approaching me was no doubt also part of showing she wasn't affected by it. I'm sure she'd given it a lot of thought, but ask yourself why she was coming over to me when she actually had nothing to say.

I asked her some questions about why she will only speak to handpicked fans and cannot appear in front of them without surrounding herself with other staff, which she didn't answer. I asked her why she has never been willing to engage with the people who ran the club for 15 years and why she is so frightened of speaking to Varney, who she sneered at.

At that point two of the hovering goons intervened and indicated I wasn't allowed to continue, although as it was the street it was nothing to do with them. With hindsight I'd probably have played it differently, but then unlike Katrien I hadn't spent the last hour planning it.

Please take what I'm about to say with this in mind: this is my simple attempt at trying to help improve communication (and if this has already been attempted and I missed it, disregard and I apologize). It is meant with honesty and humility. I am nowhere near SE7, I have watched and followed the protests and responses from afar, I have not been supporting Charlton for nearly as long as most of you, and there are some things I agree with protestors on, some things less so. At the end of the day I think the club is poorly run. I would like to do what I can to help.

Everything about RD's interviews this week said to me that he has no plans to go anywhere. Given that he talks about "learning from mistakes," and this has become a common trope, but cannot provide any examples or any even vague outline of a plan on how to implement these things. To me it feels that he is incredibly insular, and that this is not a healthy business structure, or a particularly productive one.

As such, and @Airman Brown this is not to criticize your interaction today, but it feels like CARD should need to at least be prepared to engage in direct discourse with the regime in a number of forums (including, apparently, a road outside the ground). Are they? Are some of the leaders prepared to speak (calmly and civilly) to members of the regime on matter such as (and I'm using my own examples here, I know CARD have their own):

"We would like to understand the structure and running of the transfer policy when the club lacks a DoF and Chief Scout and when most business is done outside the window. What percentage of players are identified by agents, and what percentage by scouts?"

"If FFP does not progress beyond transfer bans for offenders, what are the club's plans to remain competitive in a division that is becoming an arms race? What impacts will it have on the playing staff, both at present and who we will be able to attract? Are you familiar with the history of the Premier League, specifically over the past 10-15 years and the fact that it has led to a horrible boom-bust culture (See: Portsmouth, West Ham, Bolton, Blackburn, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, etc.)?"

"Can you please explain, using example, how, in footballing terms, Charlton Athletic Football Club has directly benefited from being a part of a network of clubs who do not seem to face the same challenges or are at the same level as CAFC?"

"Do the club have plans for the reduction in income that will result from dropping down to League One? Please understand that numerous clubs have lost huge amounts of money, or nearly been bankrupted (Portsmouth, Newcastle, QPR, Bolton) by not being prepared for a drop in divisions."

Protests are an excellent method to get attention, and to provide a voice to the masses who might otherwise be voiceless. Protests are not so good with nuanced discourse. I am just trying to ask if CARD is prepared to evolve. And also, if there is anything I can do to help (I have a background in writing and do a fair amount of speaking), I would be honored to do so.

Okay, you can all go about calling me a useless keyboard warrior :).
  • Options
    Roland spotted at last night's protest.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

What is CAST doing?

Creating a survey as we speak no doubt.
  • Options

May I suggest that all those on here that thought the masks were either silly, childish, abusive etc please tell us all their ideas for the next protest.

People are allowed to say what they think about today's protest even if they don't agree.
    It's called having an opinion.
    That's what forums like CL are all about.
    I didn't think today's idea was great or a good use of funds but I'm fully behind what CARD is doing.
    Just because someone might not agree with the form of protest it doesn't automatically mean they have come up with a better idea. Don't shoot people down just because they might disagree.
    Rant over

Bit touchy aren't you. I was merely asking a polite question.

Non rant over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

BR3red said:

Nice to me you addictkted2thereds!image

Who is the Max Wall lookalike?

Our future CEO
    Great idea PL54;

But Airman is over qualified for the job under Duchatelet.
  • Options

PL54 said:

BR3red said:

Nice to me you addictkted2thereds!image

Who is the Max Wall lookalike?

Our future CEO
    Great idea PL54;

But Airman is over qualified for the job under Duchatelet.
    When Murray was sane he saw that Curbishley had what was needed and he saw that Airman did too - and he was right on both counts. That is written in history, not a throw away statement.
  • Options

If my experience yesterday was anything to go by, the club was rattled by the C.A.R.D actions yesterday.

I was the one looking out of the window wearing my mask. When it was seen by the protestors and they waved to me, the stewards were very quick to come up and put the blinds down.

When I objected to having the blind next to me pulled and they asked me to 'stop looking out of the window' they said it was for reasons of health and safety. This is a load of rubbish - they were more worried about how it would look if it were seen that people 'inside' are also as angry at the way this club is being run as those actually protesting outside.

Where else as a 'customer' would you be banned from looking out of a window? I'm no hooligan, only a 58 year old fan who has used the hospitality of the club for many years. This may well be the last.

Health and safety ! Didn't stop Pinocchio herself looking out and taking photos at an early protest did it.

Do they inform visiting representatives from opposing clubs that they can't look outside ?

Absolute joke of a club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

I am shaking here as I spent a good time this morning looking out of my window at the sunny morning. I didn't realise I was putting my life in danger.

To be fair to the club, if you're wearing a face mask and need to be rescued in an emergency, firemen won't be able to tell who is real and who is not.
    Oh yes, thanks, I feel better now. I wasn't wearing my Pinocchio mask so I must have been safe.
  • Options

If my experience yesterday was anything to go by, the club was rattled by the C.A.R.D actions yesterday.

I was the one looking out of the window wearing my mask. When it was seen by the protestors and they waved to me, the stewards were very quick to come up and put the blinds down.

When I objected to having the blind next to me pulled and they asked me to 'stop looking out of the window' they said it was for reasons of health and safety. This is a load of rubbish - they were more worried about how it would look if it were seen that people 'inside' are also as angry at the way this club is being run as those actually protesting outside.

Where else as a 'customer' would you be banned from looking out of a window? I'm no hooligan, only a 58 year old fan who has used the hospitality of the club for many years. This may well be the last.

"Stop looking out of the window" !

Absolute madness.
  • Options
    How about a Judas day
  • Options
    I think it was an inspired idea. Sure it was a little childlish but it was introduced as a fun event for children young and old so it's not as though this fact was lost on the organisers.

The truth is that it is going to be very difficult to keep coming up with new and inventive ideas. The most important thing is to keep the pressure up but it will also help keep people engaging if it is fun, and this sounded fun!
  • Options

How about a Judas day

Ssssshhhhhh!!!!!!

Being held back for an Easter surprise. Keep it to yourself.