Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New SLP Articles: Roland didn't tell Powell to pick players & FFP changes are a disaster

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    MrLargo said:

TelMc32 said:

kentred2 said:

Agreed Henry and there is no sign of him changing his business plan. Just him hoping the ffp rules change. And kermogant wanting to leave? Is that not a complete lie?

If FFP was in place would that really mean Charlton under these clowns would be competitive? Unlikely
    Am I right in thinking he wasn't actually anywhere near the previous FFP limit in any case, so no wonder we're even further adrift now!
    According to the second article, the loss limit was £6million last season, and we recorded a loss of £3.8million, so I think that makes you right. The limit is £13million this season.

I tend to agree with some of his comments about FFP. However, he can't get those rules changed because none of the other clubs want to, and his business model won't work under the current legislation, so why stick around? Or to put it another way, please f**k off.
    The £3.8m figure (and the other one in the article) are not the FFP-defined losses of CAFC so of limited relevance.
  • Options
    He tried to be a politician ( and failed) but obviously still believes that if he peddles enough rubbish the gullible public will believe it. The Belgians didn't and somehow I don't think we will either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yikes.

Roland is fighting from the safety of his own safe haven in Belgium, that's what is happening. And his style of fighting is blaming all else and lying whilst at it.

If he wasn't worried he wouldn't fight.

Most of what he say's is a lie here, that's obvious, and to clear up the offer he gave Kermogant wasn't one of which would entice him to stay, he was settled in London. I don't know the amount but the fact Kerm wasn't part of Roland's plans says it all, we know what he does to people he doesn't want involved in CAFC.
  • Options

Regarding FFP, the rules as written are useless. I don't personally have a problem with anyone pumping their own money into a club. The rules should be nice and simple, pump in as much as you like, but you can only get equity in return, you can't load the club up with debt. That would solve many of the issues, whilst giving owners the freedom to live the dream if that's what they want. It would also prevent the sort of leveraged buyout the Glaziers did with Man Utd.

You want to buy a club, you buy the club with your own money. You want to spend big, then spend big, but don't pretend you don't own the club and that you're just lending it money. I don't loan my house money when I pay to decorate, I just have to hope that the money I've spent is adding value so I'll see it back again if/when I sell.

This, this and this.

Roland is loading up the debt on Charlton. Joyes my try and pass it off as "quasi-equlity" but it is debt and Roland will see it as such if and when he tries to sell the club.

I would have been happy with a proper FFP system but most of the owners, and many fans, don't want it.

Let people spend what they want but not as debt. Then if a club is relegated from the Championship to League 1 they have no debt and can be sold for a reasonable price and won't go in administration.

Tan has just written off £68m at Cardiff. What a world were Tan seems a more reasonable owner than ours.
    I don't have a great knowledge about how money in football works. But what it seems you're saying is that RD is spending money which isn't his and saying it is the clubs debt that the club must pay back through it's own means i.e. ticket sales, player sales, sponsorship etc. Is that really how it works? I could do that ffs!!
  • Options

Regarding FFP, the rules as written are useless. I don't personally have a problem with anyone pumping their own money into a club. The rules should be nice and simple, pump in as much as you like, but you can only get equity in return, you can't load the club up with debt. That would solve many of the issues, whilst giving owners the freedom to live the dream if that's what they want. It would also prevent the sort of leveraged buyout the Glaziers did with Man Utd.

You want to buy a club, you buy the club with your own money. You want to spend big, then spend big, but don't pretend you don't own the club and that you're just lending it money. I don't loan my house money when I pay to decorate, I just have to hope that the money I've spent is adding value so I'll see it back again if/when I sell.

This, this and this.

Roland is loading up the debt on Charlton. Joyes my try and pass it off as "quasi-equlity" but it is debt and Roland will see it as such if and when he tries to sell the club.

I would have been happy with a proper FFP system but most of the owners, and many fans, don't want it.

Let people spend what they want but not as debt. Then if a club is relegated from the Championship to League 1 they have no debt and can be sold for a reasonable price and won't go in administration.

Tan has just written off £68m at Cardiff. What a world were Tan seems a more reasonable owner than ours.
    I don't have a great knowledge about how money in football works. But what it seems you're saying is that RD is spending money which isn't his and saying it is the clubs debt that the club must pay back through it's own means i.e. ticket sales, player sales, sponsorship etc. Is that really how it works? I could do that ffs!!
    Yes, you could, quite easily. Using other people's money is a long-standing business practice. Many will be too young to remember. But just look up Jim Slater and his firm, Slater Walker for an example from the 1970s of how to succeed and then spectacularly fail.
    There are plenty of other examples. Paul Reichmann and his brothers set up the firm that built Canary Wharf using other people's money: it went bust and the brothers were left with very little. Guess what the rump business is now, again, a multi-million pound one and owns some of Canary Wharf. (It is perhaps amusing that Reichmann tried to ban bacon sandwiches from the building site and the construction crews walked out: bacon was soon back on the menu.)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    He is right about FFP, but he is wrong about how he runs the club. How he runs the club is upsetting me. He will say Powell was never forced to play players, but he was definitely pressured to. I have no reason to doubt what Chrissy has said, and Chrissy has no reason to lie. He admitted he was much more hands on in the beginning - what does that actually mean?
  • Options

This, this and this.

That wasn't what I meant.

He is spending his own money but he isn't injecting it into Charlton as equity ie shares but as debt to companies that RD owns. He is lending the money to Charlton and taking interest at 3%. That is all legal and above board but just not very good for us or in line with RD version of himself as a loving owner so much better than those irresponsible Chinese and Arabs who would spend money like at Man City.

Charlton can't repay the money loaned as it is losing money. Roland can only get his money back by increasing income (in the premier league), reducing costs (we are seeing where that is taking us), selling our best players (we can see where that is taking us) or selling at a price that includes all his spending on the club (something like £25m so far in my poor estimate).
  • Options
    We have the 3rd lowest budget in the championship. so we will probably finish 3rd bottom. that's how it works. if a Chinese guy wants to pump money into the club then why not?
    What is Roland's solution? cross your fingers and hope that it changes? it will just get worse.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

“I never read that he [Powell] said that,” responded Duchatelet. “But if he did, it is certainly wrong.

First line and a lie

“I did discuss on occasions about players - there were also problems at the time with key ones who wanted to leave, like Yann Kermorgant.

Another lie. I believe Powell over RD any day, and Powell said Yann was having to hold on for the right deal. We still don't know to this day if the deal tabled to Yann was good enough or acceptable to him to stay. But what we do know is he wanted to stay.

This guy is just a tosser, through and through.

We all know he never told Powell to pick players Alex Dyer told us that after Powell left ...... Yann chose the money instead of signing the new deal , think what people need to remember is the Bournemouth deal was on the table before RD took over ....as Powell said the old owners had already said they were not going to offer Yann or Stephens new deals

Be interesting next week if he gets treated like Parker will do tomorrow ??
    What a strange world you inhabit.
    None so blind as them that won't see.

• Options
    OK, Here is Chris Powell's side of the story - from CAS Trust News a year ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

As for the 'picking the team' thing; which of us who worked in the corporate world did not suddenly find themselves with a new boss, one who had very definite ideas that he or she was determined to implement? You then came under great pressure to be positive about these great new ideas, even if you had misgivings. Flag up doubts, and you would be labelled as a negative influence in various guises. I am sure this is what happened here, not least because RM indicated as much at the time. Technically, legally, RD may be right. Any emails may not say exactly "play Thuram" or whatever. But they may well say something like "I don't understand why you don't play Thuram". In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle. It's a fight you always lose. And the real losers are us.

I think you want to believe this because it allows you to persist with your belief that Richard Murray is an honest broker in all this. In fact, I suspect Murray has persuaded himself that this is what happened.

Let's be clear then - Duchatelet brought in players behind Powell's back and made clear he expected them to play. Thuram and Nego are two examples. He made clear he did not rate Kermorgant and Hamer very early on. His interference in team selection went well beyond the views that had been expressed by Jimenez, who was the very definition of an opinionated owner. It was not in any way a normal situation.
    Rick for Christ sake don't jump on me when there is the slightest whiff, on a half reading of a post, that I may have departed from a tightly scripted line that you want everyone to adhere to on pain of death or at least banishment.

What part of

In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle.
    did you not understand?

I 100% believe that RD unacceptably interfered with team selection (and certainly with squad recruitment, which is just as bad) and that if I was in SCP's shoes I would have resisted. The point remains that the employee never wins, and I know this well because I've been in SCP's shoes and as it happens my "boss" was Belgian too. And time has shown that I was right, as SCP was. But it was inevitable that we would both go.

It therefore does not really matter if there is a nuanced difference in what the emails say, as I suggest. And the last thing anyone should be tempted to do is persuade SCP to release the emails just to make the point, as to do so will damage his chances of future employment (look at Curbs after his action for constructive dismissal). There is no material difference between us on this point so, FFS let's not ruck on here about nothing.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

This, this and this.

That wasn't what I meant.

He is spending his own money but he isn't injecting it into Charlton as equity ie shares but as debt to companies that RD owns. He is lending the money to Charlton and taking interest at 3%. That is all legal and above board but just not very good for us or in line with RD version of himself as a loving owner so much better than those irresponsible Chinese and Arabs who would spend money like at Man City.

Charlton can't repay the money loaned as it is losing money. Roland can only get his money back by increasing income (in the premier league), reducing costs (we are seeing where that is taking us), selling our best players (we can see where that is taking us) or selling at a price that includes all his spending on the club (something like £25m so far in my poor estimate).
    I've said to David Joyes that his view of quasi equity somewhat depends on RD's exit plan. He responded, that assumes he's going to sell.

The reality is that we won't know for certain until the club is sold. As I understand it there have been no payments servicing interest, so this would seem to indicate the intention isn't to rape the club - although perhaps he offsets some of CAFC's losses against Staprix's profits for tax purposes (assuming Stapix is profitable).

The big question is whether at the point of selling the club he would expect a return on his investment.

The flats question is a worry as well, as this would up the purchase price.
  • Options

As for the 'picking the team' thing; which of us who worked in the corporate world did not suddenly find themselves with a new boss, one who had very definite ideas that he or she was determined to implement? You then came under great pressure to be positive about these great new ideas, even if you had misgivings. Flag up doubts, and you would be labelled as a negative influence in various guises. I am sure this is what happened here, not least because RM indicated as much at the time. Technically, legally, RD may be right. Any emails may not say exactly "play Thuram" or whatever. But they may well say something like "I don't understand why you don't play Thuram". In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle. It's a fight you always lose. And the real losers are us.

I think you want to believe this because it allows you to persist with your belief that Richard Murray is an honest broker in all this. In fact, I suspect Murray has persuaded himself that this is what happened.

Let's be clear then - Duchatelet brought in players behind Powell's back and made clear he expected them to play. Thuram and Nego are two examples. He made clear he did not rate Kermorgant and Hamer very early on. His interference in team selection went well beyond the views that had been expressed by Jimenez, who was the very definition of an opinionated owner. It was not in any way a normal situation.
    Rick for Christ sake don't jump on me when there is the slightest whiff, on a half reading of a post, that I may have departed from a tightly scripted line that you want everyone to adhere to on pain of death or at least banishment.

What part of

In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle.
    did you not understand?

I 100% believe that RD unacceptably interfered with team selection (and certainly with squad recruitment, which is just as bad) and that if I was in SCP's shoes I would have resisted. The point remains that the employee never wins, and I know this well because I've been in SCP's shoes and as it happens my "boss" was Belgian too. And time has shown that I was right, as SCP was. But it was inevitable that we would both go.

It therefore does not really matter if there is a nuanced difference in what the emails say, as I suggest. And the last thing anyone should be tempted to do is persuade SCP to release the emails just to make the point, as to do so will damage his chances of future employment (look at Curbs after his action for constructive dismissal). There is no material difference between us on this point so, FFS let's not ruck on here about nothing.
    @i_b_b_o_r_g and the rest of us neanderthals who enjoy the argument thread would like a ruck about nothing :wink:
  • Options

OK, Here is Chris Powell's side of the story - from CAS Trust News a year ago.

I think the more time passes the more depressing that interview gets
  • Options

To be fair to RD, inviting young kids to attend games for free is truly revolutionary and for this he should be complimented.

Don't know why we ever got rid of the u16 for a quid adverts in the news shopper years back. Got me attending regularly before I could afford a season ticket
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

“I never read that he [Powell] said that,” responded Duchatelet. “But if he did, it is certainly wrong.

First line and a lie

“I did discuss on occasions about players - there were also problems at the time with key ones who wanted to leave, like Yann Kermorgant.

Another lie. I believe Powell over RD any day, and Powell said Yann was having to hold on for the right deal. We still don't know to this day if the deal tabled to Yann was good enough or acceptable to him to stay. But what we do know is he wanted to stay.

We all know he never told Powell to pick players Alex Dyer told us that after Powell left ...... Yann chose the money instead of signing the new deal , think what people need to remember is the Bournemouth deal was on the table before RD took over ....as Powell said the old owners had already said they were not going to offer Yann or Stephens new deals

• Options
    edited February 2016
    colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

First line and a lie

You really are a muppet, aren't you? Somehow you appear to have got every "fact" completely wrong.

1. We all know he did tell Powell to pick the players. In addition to Alex Dyer telling us that, so did Chris Powell himself on talkSPORT.

2. Powell said that the new owners had specifically said there was going to be a new deal for Yann; this didn't materialise after Roland bought the club.

Come on, Col. You're making it too easy.