Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New SLP Articles: Roland didn't tell Powell to pick players & FFP changes are a disaster

Comments

• Options
    Didn't Colin accidentally reveal his oracle of inside information recently, it was the u8 goalkeeping coach or some such minion!
  • Options
    That's almost funny it's so mad. So he's protecting us from mega bucks Chinese investors because they're 'foreigners' and don't understand us!?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

That's almost funny it's so mad. So he's protecting us from mega bucks Chinese investors because they're 'foreigners' and don't understand us!?

As a defence it has some rather obvious weaknesses IMHO
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

He's treading on very thin ice, there. Some people might think his comments about Chinese and Arab owners were racist, but we know by now that a thinly-veiled superiority complex is an established feature of the regime.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

MrLargo said:

Dansk_Red said:

Begs the question who selected the head coaches, if he left the management of the club to KM, or is it just another lie?

Don't think it's even worth analysing it that closely. RD and KM contradict each other all the time - the truth is presumably somewhere halfway between Roland's lies and Katrien's lies.

I suspect Katrien was given responsibility for recruiting coaches, with assistance from Roland, probably something like this:

RD: Katrien, I'm giving you full responsibility for selecting our new head coach. Pick anyone you like from the following shortlist -

1. Karel Fraeye
    2. Mr K Fraeye
    3. Fraeye K, Esq
    What's for sure is that Katrien had zero input on appointing Bob Peeters as manager. She was literally in tears when she was told it was happening. But, with regards to the idea to appoint the Upjest guy as our manager a month ago, I suspect (and this is simply a guess) that she actually played a big part in ensuring that it didn't happen and that Riga came back.

Rob62, How do you know Meire was in tears, at Peeters being appointed ?
  • Options
    More bollocks. When's it going to stop Roly? Nobody likes you, nobody believes you and nobody wants you.
  • Options
    “If you want to be a good boss in an organisation you should leave the decisions to the management.

There you go it's all Pinnochio's and Dick head Murray's fault.
  • Options
    Good to find out that the lies start at the top.

Having said that, I agree with him on FFP. It's a disaster and the FL should not have changed the goalposts, especially in a way that encourages irresponsible spending.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor Ole Mel B.
  • Options
    FFP is always going to be a disaster. Of course it is. Money makes the world spin round, people will be scaring them away from any sanctions left right and centre.

The game is also changing and it won't fit with Roland's dream, he's a few years too late on his thinking. Lower league teams will consistently be purchased by rich men and this will even further toughen the competition, while Roland tries to make a profit selling players just as we see them growing as a player. Lots of Middle-East consortiums and soon to be China will be investing in football and all that comes with it. It's not going to work for RD, and the more chance it has of working, the lower league the club will be in and the lesser the attendances or general care anyone will have for what he is doing to our great club.

The positive is, the man is 69..... can't be too many years till the bucket is kicked. :- )
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    The thing about excluding the Chinese from "foreign" - could this be a reference to the 'knight Dragon' firm who are developing Greenwich peninsular?
    Long way off but I guess it makes sense...
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

“I never read that he [Powell] said that,” responded Duchatelet. “But if he did, it is certainly wrong.

First line and a lie

“I did discuss on occasions about players - there were also problems at the time with key ones who wanted to leave, like Yann Kermorgant.

Another lie. I believe Powell over RD any day, and Powell said Yann was having to hold on for the right deal. We still don't know to this day if the deal tabled to Yann was good enough or acceptable to him to stay. But what we do know is he wanted to stay.

This guy is just a tosser, through and through.

We all know he never told Powell to pick players Alex Dyer told us that after Powell left ...... Yann chose the money instead of signing the new deal , think what people need to remember is the Bournemouth deal was on the table before RD took over ....as Powell said the old owners had already said they were not going to offer Yann or Stephens new deals

Be interesting next week if he gets treated like Parker will do tomorrow ??
    Alex Dyer was still an employee of the club at the time so would have toed the company line.
    Did he lie ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

Dansk_Red said:

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

“I never read that he [Powell] said that,” responded Duchatelet. “But if he did, it is certainly wrong.

First line and a lie

“I did discuss on occasions about players - there were also problems at the time with key ones who wanted to leave, like Yann Kermorgant.

Another lie. I believe Powell over RD any day, and Powell said Yann was having to hold on for the right deal. We still don't know to this day if the deal tabled to Yann was good enough or acceptable to him to stay. But what we do know is he wanted to stay.

We all know he never told Powell to pick players Alex Dyer told us that after Powell left ...... Yann chose the money instead of signing the new deal , think what people need to remember is the Bournemouth deal was on the table before RD took over ....as Powell said the old owners had already said they were not going to offer Yann or Stephens new deals

Alex Dyer was still an employee of the club at the time so would have toed the company line.
    Did he lie ?
    Nope. Read the article.
  • Options

PL54 said:

Dansk_Red said:

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

First line and a lie

Did he lie ?
    Nope. Read the article.
    Which one
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Dansk_Red said:

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

First line and a lie

Did he lie ?
    Nope. Read the article.
    Which one
    The one with a link to it a few pages back
  • Options
    Yet another pointer to things being out of control at the club, with the news that Bloomy is leaving to go to Forest, its another backroom person that has jumped ship!! The list is growing and they are clearly going for a reason and I would suggest that reason is RD. Perhaps he who speaks with a forked tongue, meddles in more than just team matters. Another piece of cost cutting for RD, and I'm telling you now if we go down, it'll be years before we come back, because if he doesn't change his tack re FFP, then it'll be more of the same in League one, except this time next season we will be fighting relegation to League 2.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

As for the 'picking the team' thing; which of us who worked in the corporate world did not suddenly find themselves with a new boss, one who had very definite ideas that he or she was determined to implement? You then came under great pressure to be positive about these great new ideas, even if you had misgivings. Flag up doubts, and you would be labelled as a negative influence in various guises. I am sure this is what happened here, not least because RM indicated as much at the time. Technically, legally, RD may be right. Any emails may not say exactly "play Thuram" or whatever. But they may well say something like "I don't understand why you don't play Thuram". In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle. It's a fight you always lose. And the real losers are us.

I think you want to believe this because it allows you to persist with your belief that Richard Murray is an honest broker in all this. In fact, I suspect Murray has persuaded himself that this is what happened.

Let's be clear then - Duchatelet brought in players behind Powell's back and made clear he expected them to play. Thuram and Nego are two examples. He made clear he did not rate Kermorgant and Hamer very early on. His interference in team selection went well beyond the views that had been expressed by Jimenez, who was the very definition of an opinionated owner. It was not in any way a normal situation.
    Rick for Christ sake don't jump on me when there is the slightest whiff, on a half reading of a post, that I may have departed from a tightly scripted line that you want everyone to adhere to on pain of death or at least banishment.

What part of

In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle.
    did you not understand?

I 100% believe that RD unacceptably interfered with team selection (and certainly with squad recruitment, which is just as bad) and that if I was in SCP's shoes I would have resisted. The point remains that the employee never wins, and I know this well because I've been in SCP's shoes and as it happens my "boss" was Belgian too. And time has shown that I was right, as SCP was. But it was inevitable that we would both go.

It therefore does not really matter if there is a nuanced difference in what the emails say, as I suggest. And the last thing anyone should be tempted to do is persuade SCP to release the emails just to make the point, as to do so will damage his chances of future employment (look at Curbs after his action for constructive dismissal). There is no material difference between us on this point so, FFS let's not ruck on here about nothing.
    @i_b_b_o_r_g and the rest of us neanderthals who enjoy the argument thread would like a ruck about nothing :wink:
    Yes, we would. Friday night after all
  • Options

cabbles said:

As for the 'picking the team' thing; which of us who worked in the corporate world did not suddenly find themselves with a new boss, one who had very definite ideas that he or she was determined to implement? You then came under great pressure to be positive about these great new ideas, even if you had misgivings. Flag up doubts, and you would be labelled as a negative influence in various guises. I am sure this is what happened here, not least because RM indicated as much at the time. Technically, legally, RD may be right. Any emails may not say exactly "play Thuram" or whatever. But they may well say something like "I don't understand why you don't play Thuram". In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle. It's a fight you always lose. And the real losers are us.

I think you want to believe this because it allows you to persist with your belief that Richard Murray is an honest broker in all this. In fact, I suspect Murray has persuaded himself that this is what happened.

Let's be clear then - Duchatelet brought in players behind Powell's back and made clear he expected them to play. Thuram and Nego are two examples. He made clear he did not rate Kermorgant and Hamer very early on. His interference in team selection went well beyond the views that had been expressed by Jimenez, who was the very definition of an opinionated owner. It was not in any way a normal situation.
    Rick for Christ sake don't jump on me when there is the slightest whiff, on a half reading of a post, that I may have departed from a tightly scripted line that you want everyone to adhere to on pain of death or at least banishment.

What part of

In terms of the pressure, it amounts to the same thing, and SCP was clearly the type who was going to fight his corner on principle.
    did you not understand?

I 100% believe that RD unacceptably interfered with team selection (and certainly with squad recruitment, which is just as bad) and that if I was in SCP's shoes I would have resisted. The point remains that the employee never wins, and I know this well because I've been in SCP's shoes and as it happens my "boss" was Belgian too. And time has shown that I was right, as SCP was. But it was inevitable that we would both go.

It therefore does not really matter if there is a nuanced difference in what the emails say, as I suggest. And the last thing anyone should be tempted to do is persuade SCP to release the emails just to make the point, as to do so will damage his chances of future employment (look at Curbs after his action for constructive dismissal). There is no material difference between us on this point so, FFS let's not ruck on here about nothing.
    @i_b_b_o_r_g and the rest of us neanderthals who enjoy the argument thread would like a ruck about nothing :wink:
    Yes, we would. Friday night after all
    But Saturday's alright for fighting.
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Dansk_Red said:

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

First line and a lie

Did he lie ?
    Nope. Read the article.
    Which one
    I don't doubt you're sitting in front of a laptop. Link me up....
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Dansk_Red said:

colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

First line and a lie

Did he lie ?
    Nope. Read the article.
    Which one
    I don't doubt you're sitting in front of a laptop. Link me up....
    here you go @PL54
    https://chicagoaddick.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/alex-dyer-tells-all/
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=115955&headline=

^ If you didnt read why Tony Watt left charlton. All behind the scenes etc interesting.

RD and his crazy ideas.

Im not even going to bother with the Powell stuff, that was simply just a load of gibberish and lies.

Really and truly, FFP is a good thing and if every club had to abide by it then it might be interesting and or more competitive (but maybe boring)

The problem is spending the money wisely and in the right areas. (directly related to the football) We are simply a shambles at that...so in the end FFP, whether in our favor or not, just becomes irrelevant. He wont stop going on about investment on the bloody pitch and stadium etc. Look at the league table, its time to stop making a prat of yourself now and get over that. Arguing these points and how terrible Charlton were before you bought us and how you pimped us up....no one cares and you are a fool for repeatedly bringing it up, especially at present.

“The main goal is that the fans and people see this as a place where they can have a great time - meet friends, enjoy the game, watch good football and see youngsters perform well.

“The question is what kind of football do you need? I think at the minimum Championship level. That’s what we definitely need.

“Then we have to see what will happen with this non-fair financial rules we have in the Championship and whether they will change or not. I hope they will, because it is a disaster for English football.

Im gana take what he says here at face value.

1st Sentence. The MAIN GOAL.....is just awful, the club has been going since 1905 it has history and is not something new, you cannot change it. Stop trying to outline reasons why people go to a football match its not going to differ in comparison to what it is now, why would it? Im pretty sure people already go charlton, meet friends and attempt to enjoy themselves etc. If that is the MAIN goal, something that already exists, then wow.
    Why people go football matches? Its f*cking obvious, isnt it... What do you think has been the point of fans going Charlton? In its most simpliest form they usually want to see the team beat other teams and have success... which you don't understand or refuse to accept. Do you know what competition is Roland...do you know what it means to be competitive and be able to say "We are the best". Everyone strives for that and if there is no hope, even if the tiniest smallest percentage in that ever happening, then give up now.
    He doesn't want people that attend charlton to be passionate fans. He wants that side of it wiped out. So sad.

A disaster for English football? You have only unsuccessfully spent 2 years being involved with English football and you don't even watch the games. Your opinion on it and how bad it might get, is irrelevant, and borderline nothing to do with you.

f*ck off you old c*nt

Even in saying that, this FFP interview has probably been Rolands best so far. The dickhead.

A stopped clock tells the right time twice a day