Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New SLP Articles: Roland didn't tell Powell to pick players & FFP changes are a disaster

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Has this one from the SLP about playerz n the hood passed under the CL radar so far? Among other gems, it almost contains a criticism of our beloved CEO.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116222&headline=Charlton scouting needs improvement - Roland Duchatelet aims to "strengthen" department&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

Charlton scouting needs improvement - Roland Duchatelet aims to "strengthen" department

Friday, 19 February 2016 By Richard Cawley in Football

Charlton look set to strengthen their scouting structure in England - after Roland Duchatelet admitted it has not been effective enough at senior level.

Chief scout Phil Chapple left for a similar role at Fulham in October with Mark Stow, who had performed the role at academy level, stepping up.

One of the major criticisms of fans is that too many new players have been brought in from overseas - either not being up to scratch or unprepared for Championship football.

Jorge Teixeira (Standard Liege) and Rod Fanni (Al-Arabi) both arrived at the end of the last transfer window while Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo had been on loan at Ajax and has only managed 21 Premier League appearances since joining from Auxerre in July 2013.

Duchatelet said: “What we want to do is strengthen the scouting.

“We have scouting in England but we are not totally satisfied with it and we’re willing to strengthen it - especially targeting players who could be quite interesting in the neighbourhood, but also maybe a bit further away.

“That is something we want to do, in addition to what we have done so far.

“In regard to the work we have done in England with the youth scouting, I think it has gone quite well so far.

“Adult scouting has not been that good. We didn’t contribute enough to the potentials which we could utilise.”

Charlton’s mistakes ultimately hit Duchatelet in the pocket.

They terminated Piotr Parzyszek’s contract last month and even prior to that were heavily subsidising his loan moves.

Andre Bikey’s deal was also ripped up earlier this season.

And there have also been signings like Loic Nego and Christophe Lepoint, who failed to make any impact in SE7 before being sold to Videoton and SV Zulte Waregem.

Duchatelet said: “The system is basically that the management of the club is responsible. In this case it is essentially Katrien [Meire] who works with the scouts.

“It is not so easy - these players are not just waiting in a box to be recruited. It’s a moving target recruiting.

“It works in parallel from a scouting perspective and getting contacts with the players to see if it is possible or not.

“In some cases I am involved and in some cases I am not.

“We have the advantage that we have a club in Spain, a club in Hungary, one in Germany and also capabilities in Belgium, which is next to France.

“We have scouts on the continent and we do scouting watching games on video. But also we do live scouting.”
  • Options
    It has taken him too long to work that out and you have to ask the question whether he has actually worked it out. What he says and what he does are never the same.
  • Options
    you might, but the table doesn't lie Roland, we are bottom for a reason.
  • Options
    What we need to do now (but won't) is to start watching and identifying players who can do a job for us next year in League 1. There is going to be a mass exodus from the current squad and if the necessary groundwork is not done now, we are going to be in big trouble.
  • Options

RD can't even get his non-football matters right. Grasping at straws he claimed that his ownership is one which is based on the benefits of a shared Anglo/Belgian cultural heritage

I know we are all happy Europeans, but aside from chocolate, what exactly have Belgium contributed to culture or heritage?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

RD can't even get his non-football matters right. Grasping at straws he claimed that his ownership is one which is based on the benefits of a shared Anglo/Belgian cultural heritage

I know we are all happy Europeans, but aside from chocolate, what exactly have Belgium contributed to culture or heritage?
    Tin-tin, beer, Victor Horta and Rene Magritte...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mogodon said:

Terrorists.
  • Options
    As is the norm, don't rich men that have lies spoken or written about them pursue the matter through the correct legal channels?
  • Options

Actually agree with what he says about the new FFP rulings, it is ridiculous and we'll likely see more and more clubs end up like Bolton as a result.

However, it's unlikely to change so if you don't like it Roly, please fuck off.

Exactly. I agree with him on this. But the rules are like that and you can't try to play by a different set of rules or you end up losing.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Missed It said:

cafcfan said:

comes across as a lying twat, but his point on FFP is a valid one.

It is a fair point that he thought FFP would mean other clubs couldn't spend more than they earn and that would help us.

But when the FFP rules changed Roland made no attempt to change his business plan. He can't just go on as he did before and moan that it's not fair.

He bought the wrong club.
    I'm in two minds about FFP. On the one hand it's nice for us fans if there's a level playing field, it gives us lesser mortals a scintilla of hope.

On the other hand - and let's use the restaurant analogy (again):

One restaurant owner spends a fortune making his restaurant a very pleasant place to be; opens 7 days a week so that people can ring in to book a table; stocks up his cellar with the best wine; buys the best local produce; employs a Michelin-starred chef; top quality waiters; a qualified Sommelier; a Maître d' that knows what the hell they are doing; and has a maximum score under the local council's food hygenine scheme and the all-important linen tablecloths and napkins.

Another has a great venue. But he spends no money on decent food and drink; no one ever answers the phone or looks at emails; the chef is just out of college; the waiters don't speak English and don't even unscrew the top off the wine, let alone let it breathe or decant it; the food is so-so; the Maître d' used to be a paralegal and has no relevant skills; the table cloths are plastic while the napkins are paper serviettes and there are mouse droppings everywhere.

Which one deserves (and will) succeed?
    Trouble is, under the current rules both fail. One collapses under a mountain of debt and the other withers away from lack of custom.

Duchatelet makes a fair point about the lunatic finances of English football but he has failed to adapt his original plan to the new situation. He doesn't want to be the first example, but will end up being the second instead.
    Your only hope its to negotiate from a position of strength. Attempting to change the rules when you're bottom just seems like whinging.
    In an interview with Sir Jackie Stewart, he said that he wanted to lobby for changes to reduce the death rate in Formula One, but felt that unless he was World Champion that he would not be taken seriously
  • Options
    Fair play to rob, i honestly do not think I will have the same restraint if I ever bump into her. Think I would really let loose (verbally of course), just don't think I would be able to stop myself. Probably wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. But hats off to you rob just because you were polite about it your action still represents as much fury as it would screaming at her.
  • Options
    Reminded me of Roland.