Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you miss when you are abroad

Comments

• Options
    road rage
  • Options
    Definitely the humor and warmth of the British people. Linda McCartney pies. Quorn everything--though we do get a fair amount of Quorn products, they're definitely designed for the States. Cider has come a long way in the states in just the last five years, which has been nice. San Diego has a big IPA Microbrew community, which helped me to appreciate bitter. Probably biggest thing is just going down the pub with mates or going to the Valley then The Bug.
  • Options
    Pubs, beer, live music, live sport, comedy, arts and culture, friends and family, even The City, where I worked for most of my life. I miss London in general.

Don't miss the winter weather (all nine months of it), corporate politics, the rougher element of London's streets and the prices.

• Options

road rage

If road rage ever makes it here there will be a punch up at every road junction the driving here is abysmal.
  • Options
    Real bread, cheese, live music & football.
  • Options
    Don't miss much at all. Bangkok has it all and there is nothing I can not get. Even the British pubs are good and now serve a decent selection of Ales and IPAs. I used to live in Reading and barely saw family back in Tonbridge. Now I spend more time with the family as they come to visit for weeks at a time and we talk alot more via Skype.

The last time I was in London I felt very lost and uncomfortable, so I guess I'm stuck out here now.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Definitely the humor and warmth of the British people. Linda McCartney pies. Quorn everything--though we do get a fair amount of Quorn products, they're definitely designed for the States. Cider has come a long way in the states in just the last five years, which has been nice. San Diego has a big IPA Microbrew community, which helped me to appreciate bitter. Probably biggest thing is just going down the pub with mates or going to the Valley then The Bug.

Aah, okay, I'd always assumed you were in South Dakota!
  • Options
    Bacon - i don't understand why so many countries don't bother with it. Spain in particular, the food is generally superb, they have an infinite list of things they can make out of a pig, but no bacon. Why?!
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Not relevant now but I used to miss teletext when abroad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    British countryside, humour, food and being at home. There are many shit things about Britain but it's home.
  • Options
    Probably a big list would be what I don't miss TBH. However I tend to miss the change in seasons. Football I miss the live element but anywhere +4 hrs watching on tv is a nice time.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Probably a big list would be what I don't miss TBH. However I tend to miss the change in seasons. Football I miss the live element but anywhere +4 hrs watching on tv is a nice time.

I do - wish we had him in the team now
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

SDAddick said:

Aah, okay, I'd always assumed you were in South Dakota!
    No no, grew up and have lived most of my life in California. Not the "outdoorsy" type, would probably get eaten by a bear or a squirrel in ten minutes in South Dakota.
  • Options
    Real ale, going to Charlton on every other Saturday, decent shops, central heating, good public transport (though I appreciate that plenty of places in the UK are the same, a main holiday town the equivalent of Albufeira would have buses that ran after 7PM...), the advertising of events, good music (the last time there was anything resembling a proper international artist here was Roger Hodgson in about 2009), and rockabilly clubs.
  • Options
    Sounds more backwards than China, @Algarveaddick
  • Options

Sounds more backwards than China, @Algarveaddick

They could do so much Stu, but they refuse to listen to any suggestions or advice (sound like anyone we know?).

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Gotta be a decent cup of tea. I spent a few months in south America... All those cows and the milk was all uht, it was all lipton yellow label... And in brazil they put sugar in everything without asking you. When I had a cuppa in new Zealand (which is basically England in the 80s) with fresh milk... Pg tips... I actually groaned.

Definitely this. The lack of decent milk and Lipton being the best tea are the things that have always bugged me in the years I've spent out of the UK
  • Options
    Peeing standing up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your wife
  • Options
    Chips and gravy
  • Options
    Throwing the used toilet paper in the pan rather than in a bin after having a dump in Greece.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Peeing standing up.

Took me a while...

• Options

Real bread, cheese, live music & football.

Don't miss much but when I do, this covers it.
  • Options
    M&S Coleslaw. Aussies just don't do decent dressings for salads.
  • Options
    Miss......

M&S Food also.

The impromptu after work pint (or seven).

Talking absolute nonsense with my pals.

Kirsty and Phil.

The 5 or 6 glorious days of summer.

Having a bet.

London.

Me mum.

Don't miss...

Getting dark at 3:30 in the winter.

The daily commute with Southeastern.

Lairy twats in the pub.

Hairy twats in the pub.

Miranda.