Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you miss when you are abroad

Comments

• Options
    Yes, Curry!!
  • Options

masicat said:

Peeing standing up.

Took me a while...

Too subtle I fear. How's the weather down there ? Son left for Quinta an hour ago.

• Options
    1. The Pub
    2. English humour
    3. Song birds
    4.The Valley
    5. Mr. Kipling cakes
    6. My brother
  • Options

Public Realm. Foreign streets are always dirty, have shite pavements and limited street lighting. Cafes put seats out in the street, drains are exposed and there is generally little interest in making streets look nice.

We're great at that in the UK - even in places that are not important.

Try going to Santiago in Cuba, I have never seen such clean streets before anywhere, including the UK. I had some sweets, and was afraid to drop a wrapper in error because it would be noticed.
  • Options
    masicat said:

masicat said:

Peeing standing up.

Took me a while...

Too subtle I fear. How's the weather down there ? Son left for Quinta an hour ago.

Sunny but windy...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I miss Nandos
    The lazy day pub crawl
    Reggae reggae sauce
    London during Christmas
    Borough Market
    Greasy spoon
    Pie & mash
    Snow

I must say I think Hong Kong does tea better than us Brits. It's like hot creamy velvet. When I eventually move back to England I pray they have it in Chinatown.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

english boozers, although in Perth there are plenty of decent English themed and very decent Irish pubs.

Last time I was in Perth, it was noticeable that the town, all of it, closed, completely, at 6:15 prompt each evening.
    Have things improved or do you have to go out at lunchtime to enjoy yourself?
  • Options
    Drinking water!

Absolutely hate water from plastic bottles!

Although I do prefer my water with hops in!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Essex_Al said:

Drinking water!

Absolutely hate water from plastic bottles!

Although I do prefer my water with hops in!

Went off to Delhi with work about 15 years ago. A few of us had a skinful one night and we thought it would be funny to replace one of the other blokes bottled water with tap water - he was in absolute hell the following day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing I miss the most when I come back home is those bum guns they have in south east asia.
  • Options
    A decent cuppa
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Scratching my testicles.
    No, sorry that's another something you miss when you're a broad.
    One for our American cousins, there, and Masicat.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Public Realm. Foreign streets are always dirty, have shite pavements and limited street lighting. Cafes put seats out in the street, drains are exposed and there is generally little interest in making streets look nice.

Try going to Santiago in Cuba, I have never seen such clean streets before anywhere, including the UK. I had some sweets, and was afraid to drop a wrapper in error because it would be noticed.
    People knock Communism but fuck me if the streets in Cuba aren't pretty.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I miss Nandos
    The lazy day pub crawl
    Reggae reggae sauce
    London during Christmas
    Borough Market
    Greasy spoon
    Pie & mash
    Snow

I must say I think Hong Kong does tea better than us Brits. It's like hot creamy velvet. When I eventually move back to England I pray they have it in Chinatown.

What do you do in HK pal?
  • Options
    I miss a good Sunday roast, the Pleasuance and the two old guys I see there when we are all walking our dogs, my home and a decent cup of tea (Assam for preference)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Same in Singapore. Nothing beats the very real threat of death and a thrashing to keep that litter away
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Same in Singapore. Nothing beats the very real threat of death and a thrashing to keep that litter away
    Sometimes you've got to give a little to get a little, that's all I'm saying ;)
  • Options

I know a few people mention the obvious fact that nobody misses the weather but fuck me our climate is shite.

SD Addick will sing its praises but I spend a couple of months a year in Orange County CA and whilst I miss some of the bits people mention here, their weather is something else. Pure blue skies, no wind, warm sun on your face even in January.

Every time you land at Heathrow and look out the window it is mainly grey, low cloud, wet and shit.

Winter cold and wet, Spring cold and wet, Autumn cold and wet, summer not very hot and mainly cloudy.

Shit.

Why the bloody hell didn't our ancestors keep the convicts here and we all fucked off to Oz.

If only we knew what we know now we'd all be claiming to be Jack The Ripper!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Our first day in Singapore and people looked at us like we were nutters as we ambled across the road not at the traffic lights but in a lull in the traffic.
  • Options
    Lived abroad a lot in various countries over the last 5 years or so and one of the main things I missed was the knowledge of where to go for certain things. Getting medicine, a beer, even something like a light bulb - it is such a pain in the arse when you have no idea where you need to go for things.

Free health care too. The NHS is much derided but when you are being sorted out in some dodgy side street "medical centre" in Indonesia you soon come to realise quite how fantastic it is
  • Options

I know a few people mention the obvious fact that nobody misses the weather but fuck me our climate is shite.

SD Addick will sing its praises but I spend a couple of months a year in Orange County CA and whilst I miss some of the bits people mention here, their weather is something else. Pure blue skies, no wind, warm sun on your face even in January.

Every time you land at Heathrow and look out the window it is mainly grey, low cloud, wet and shit.

Winter cold and wet, Spring cold and wet, Autumn cold and wet, summer not very hot and mainly cloudy.

Shit.

Why the bloody hell didn't our ancestors keep the convicts here and we all fucked off to Oz.

Its not all milk and honey mate. We just had the hottest summer here....if you need to work outside its hell....40C and 90% humidity just makes you ill. Apparently the weather broke some sort of record here in Sydney the most consecutive days with temperatures not falling below 26C......at night!

Autumn and winter here are ok.....we are just into Autumn and its now between 25C and 28C which after the summer we have just had is feeling cool. Winter days of between 18 and 20C and occasional mid 20's is lovely.

Australia....come if youre a young person with a skill.....over 45 forget it. As Ozzaddick said....the young Australian female of today has the looks but is so up themselves. However, youre far more likely to meet a classy foreign girl here.
  • Options

Shit.

friend of mines brother is a lineman - the guys who maintain electical cables. Got sick of New England winters and moved to So. Cal.

72 & sunny most days. After a year, he moved back because he missed weather.

• Options
    So had to think about this. After 24 years you miss less.

1. Friends & family. Although they all turn up, it's the inability to all get together when you feel like it that you miss.
    2. CAFC. Although I had plenty of other interests they all had to fit around the fixture list.
    3. Humour. Sorry my American friends, but most of you just don't get it. Especially the sarcasm and one liners.
    4. Pubs. Not beer, plenty of good beer, but pubs where people know each other are a rarity here.
    5. Fish and chips. They just can't do it right.
    6. Bacon. American bacon is an abomination.

But having said that, I can't imagine ever moving back.
  • Options

Shit.

Just for the sake of clarity, Sydney had 1337mm of rain last year. That's just a little above average. It rained on 166 days.
    In Southern England by comparison, there was 758mm of rain and it rained on 133 days.

It rains more in Sydney than it does in Manchester. It is generally warmer rain though!
  • Options
    Bcaddick said:

1. The Pub
    2. English humour
    3. Song birds
    4.The Valley
    5. Mr. Kipling cakes
    6. My brother

At last - I've finally made the top 6!!! :smile:
  • Options
    Wow, Mr Kipling posts on here !
  • Options
    TEL said:

Shit.

Its not all milk and honey mate. We just had the hottest summer here....if you need to work outside its hell....40C and 90% humidity just makes you ill. Apparently the weather broke some sort of record here in Sydney the most consecutive days with temperatures not falling below 26C......at night!

Autumn and winter here are ok.....we are just into Autumn and its now between 25C and 28C which after the summer we have just had is feeling cool. Winter days of between 18 and 20C and occasional mid 20's is lovely.

Australia....come if youre a young person with a skill.....over 45 forget it. As Ozzaddick said....the young Australian female of today has the looks but is so up themselves. However, youre far more likely to meet a classy foreign girl here.
    Kunming is spring 9 months of the year, you get a month of summer (30) and two months of winter (-3 this year, the coldest on record) the rest of the year it's mainly sunny and clear, living on the top of a mountain is great, although the air as bloody dry.