Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you miss when you are abroad

Comments

• Options
    Proper Danish pastry
  • Options
    Thing is I wouldn't mind seasons. East coast of America gets cold winters (well Virginia and up) but also glorious long hot summers.

We are just shit all year round with a couple of just about acceptable days in between.

So cal may be quite similar all year - but would rather it was 72 sunny and clear on most days, than 50, cloudy and grey most days.

Anyway - some other non weather answers (based on my regular US travel):

English breakfasts (sweet and savour together? Burritos for breakfast? Not for me)

Having sweet food that doesn't send you into a coma with one sniff of artificial sweeteners

English fruit juice

English crisps (more flavours than just ready salted, cheese, or bbq)

English toilet cubicles - would rather a queue of people couldn't wave at me whilst I am wiping my arse thanks.

English chocolate. Hershey's - what the feck is that all about?
  • Options

I know a few people mention the obvious fact that nobody misses the weather but fuck me our climate is shite.

SD Addick will sing its praises but I spend a couple of months a year in Orange County CA and whilst I miss some of the bits people mention here, their weather is something else. Pure blue skies, no wind, warm sun on your face even in January.

Every time you land at Heathrow and look out the window it is mainly grey, low cloud, wet and shit.

Winter cold and wet, Spring cold and wet, Autumn cold and wet, summer not very hot and mainly cloudy.

Shit.

Why the bloody hell didn't our ancestors keep the convicts here and we all fucked off to Oz.

friend of mines brother is a lineman - the guys who maintain electical cables. Got sick of New England winters and moved to So. Cal.

72 & sunny most days. After a year, he moved back because he missed weather.

I'm going to start by saying I'M VERY SORRY IN ADVANCE, but I'm sort of over the weather in Southern California. It can be absolutely beautiful, I completely agree. But increasingly, we get 25+ degree temps year round. The last two summers have been awful, with 30+ degrees for weeks on end.

I should add that I am of Ashkenazi Jewish stock, and am 5'8'' tall and about the same across, have an old fashion Neanderthal barrel chest. I was a creature made for cold winters, and my body is like a furnace. I personally love the rain and the grey. Once my dog's heart health is better, we're moving up to Oregon which has a climate far more similar to the UK.

Again, I apologize, I know I'm spoiled rotten. If anyone can convince UK Immigration to do a "one in, one out" (like some shit nightclub on a Saturday night), I'd be happy to change places with you ;)
  • Options

TEL said:

I know a few people mention the obvious fact that nobody misses the weather but fuck me our climate is shite.

SD Addick will sing its praises but I spend a couple of months a year in Orange County CA and whilst I miss some of the bits people mention here, their weather is something else. Pure blue skies, no wind, warm sun on your face even in January.

Every time you land at Heathrow and look out the window it is mainly grey, low cloud, wet and shit.

Winter cold and wet, Spring cold and wet, Autumn cold and wet, summer not very hot and mainly cloudy.

Shit.

Why the bloody hell didn't our ancestors keep the convicts here and we all fucked off to Oz.

Its not all milk and honey mate. We just had the hottest summer here....if you need to work outside its hell....40C and 90% humidity just makes you ill. Apparently the weather broke some sort of record here in Sydney the most consecutive days with temperatures not falling below 26C......at night!

Autumn and winter here are ok.....we are just into Autumn and its now between 25C and 28C which after the summer we have just had is feeling cool. Winter days of between 18 and 20C and occasional mid 20's is lovely.

Australia....come if youre a young person with a skill.....over 45 forget it. As Ozzaddick said....the young Australian female of today has the looks but is so up themselves. However, youre far more likely to meet a classy foreign girl here.
    Kunming is spring 9 months of the year, you get a month of summer (30) and two months of winter (-3 this year, the coldest on record) the rest of the year it's mainly sunny and clear, living on the top of a mountain is great, although the air as bloody dry.
    Eternal spring sounds great mate.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Shit.

friend of mines brother is a lineman - the guys who maintain electical cables. Got sick of New England winters and moved to So. Cal.

I'm going to start by saying I'M VERY SORRY IN ADVANCE, but I'm sort of over the weather in Southern California. It can be absolutely beautiful, I completely agree. But increasingly, we get 25+ degree temps year round. The last two summers have been awful, with 30+ degrees for weeks on end.

I should add that I am of Ashkenazi Jewish stock, and am 5'8'' tall and about the same across, have an old fashion Neanderthal barrel chest. I was a creature made for cold winters, and my body is like a furnace. I personally love the rain and the grey. Once my dog's heart health is better, we're moving up to Oregon which has a climate far more similar to the UK.

Again, I apologize, I know I'm spoiled rotten. If anyone can convince UK Immigration to do a "one in, one out" (like some shit nightclub on a Saturday night), I'd be happy to change places with you ;)
    Steady mate your sounding a bit like me....I once counted how many days we had without rain, (it was 38) and when it did finally rain I went out for the most glorious walk you can imagine, soaked to the skin but as happy as a pig in poo.
  • Options
    TEL said:

SDAddick said:

Shit.

Steady mate your sounding a bit like me....I once counted how many days we had without rain, (it was 38) and when it did finally rain I went out for the most glorious walk you can imagine, soaked to the skin but as happy as a pig in poo.
    A man after my own heart. When we get rain here I'm always up early for a nice run in the rain.

It should be noted that the weather in Australia is far more severe than that of Southern California. I'm just prone to a good whinge.
  • Options
    Weather wise we just seem to have summer and winter;, spring and autumn (the nicest time of year) last about a fortnight. We go from bedsocks and hot water bottles to sleeping on top of the bed starkers, and still waking up sweating within a month...

(Sorry if that image has put you off your lunch)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Normal British prawns.

Stewart Lee - Emigrants by 99videos
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

ozaddick said:

english boozers, although in Perth there are plenty of decent English themed and very decent Irish pubs.

Last time I was in Perth, it was noticeable that the town, all of it, closed, completely, at 6:15 prompt each evening.
    Have things improved or do you have to go out at lunchtime to enjoy yourself?
    It's a bleeding nanny state in WA. How Ever It's gotten a lot better with a relaxation of liquor licensing laws, there's loads more bars opened up in the last 2 years. The city itself goes quiet after 6pm, unless you know where to go, Northbridge is ok. And you can still stubble out of a club at 6am if you wanna be out out.
    Problem is the male Aussies turn into right bell ends after a few beers.
  • Options

Proper vegetables. Nobody does veg like us.

When I used to go to Spain on a regular basis, they used to have potatoes that were grown on a farm in Swanley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bcaddick said:

1. The Pub
    2. English humour
    3. Song birds
    4.The Valley
    5. Mr. Kipling cakes
    6. My brother

At last - I've finally made the top 6!!! :smile:
    It was close mate; Ashford town centre almost kept you out ;-)
  • Options
    I will miss proper Root Beer when I get home.
  • Options
    My wife not being savaged by mosquitoes, and then having to listen to her moan all day
  • Options

Are we related?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

I will miss proper Root Beer when I get home.

Just lick some germaline.
  • Options
    For me, it's a good roast dinner and a proper fry up. Can't say that i really miss anything else.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

cafcfan said:

ozaddick said:

english boozers, although in Perth there are plenty of decent English themed and very decent Irish pubs.

Last time I was in Perth, it was noticeable that the town, all of it, closed, completely, at 6:15 prompt each evening.
    It's a bleeding nanny state in WA. How Ever It's gotten a lot better with a relaxation of liquor licensing laws, there's loads more bars opened up in the last 2 years. The city itself goes quiet after 6pm, unless you know where to go, Northbridge is ok. And you can still stubble out of a club at 6am if you wanna be out out.
    Problem is the male Aussies turn into right bell ends after a few beers.
    lol you know my views already.....Australia went from being like the wild west to a Nanny state in the blink of an eye. Im waiting for the farting tax to become legislated.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

My wife not being savaged by mosquitoes, and then having to listen to her moan all day

ah mate I do sympathize with her....I can wake up covered in bites and my Mrs will have none.
  • Options
    TEL said:

McBobbin said:

ah mate I do sympathize with her....I can wake up covered in bites and my Mrs will have none.
    Ask Mrs tel to be more gentle mate!

• Options
    A decent cup of tea and Charlton Ok just the tea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A good old British brass!

Where you go for one of them then Dave? They was all jam rolls last time I had a go..
  • Options

A good old British brass!

Where you go for one of them then Dave? They was all jam rolls last time I had a go..
    Dave's a more Apple turnover kinda bloke.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

cafcfan said:

ozaddick said:

Problem is the male Aussies are right bell ends after a few beers.
    Fixed that for you mate... :wink:

Got a few mates in Perth, apparently you have to take out a mortgage for a beer in a pub?
  • Options

ozaddick said:

cafcfan said:

ozaddick said:

Problem is the male Aussies are right bell ends after a few beers.
    Fixed that for you mate... :wink:

Got a few mates in Perth, apparently you have to take out a mortgage for a beer in a pub?
    And you nailed it AA!!

Price for a jar is around 12 dollars, ludicrous prices.
  • Options
    Schooner is $6 so about 3 quid...Im not sure how much a pint is back home to be fair. Also earnings are higher here so its all relative really.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Schooner is $6 so about 3 quid...Im not sure how much a pint is back home to be fair. Also earnings are higher here so its all relative really.

It's £3-5 for a draught pint of imported beer here, or a local beer for about 50p.
  • Options

TEL said:

It's £3-5 for a draught pint of imported beer here, or a local beer for about 50p.
    50p sounds cheap, but what do they earn locally?
  • Options
    TEL said:

Is that in Sydney Tel?
    :)
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

People speaking proper English.

Unfortunately I miss this in England a lot as well these days.
    Just come back from Croydon , what f****** country is that?!