Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you miss when you are abroad

1235»

Comments

• Options
    You can't get Lucozade in Sweden, although the women make up for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

A good old British brass!

Where you go for one of them then Dave? They was all jam rolls last time I had a go..
    Dave's a more Apple turnover kinda bloke.
    Cocks apple
  • Options
    Bcaddick said:

Bcaddick said:

1. The Pub
    2. English humour
    3. Song birds
    4.The Valley
    5. Mr. Kipling cakes
    6. My brother

At last - I've finally made the top 6!!! :smile:
    It was close mate; Ashford town centre almost kept you out ;-)
    Ashford Town Center? Started my work life at Ashford Motors on Middle street. There was a pie bakery one street up, baked twice a day. Could smell those pies all over Ashford, can smell them from here.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Bcaddick said:

Bcaddick said:

1. The Pub
    2. English humour
    3. Song birds
    4.The Valley
    5. Mr. Kipling cakes
    6. My brother

Ashford Town Center? Started my work life at Ashford Motors on Middle street. There was a pie bakery one street up, baked twice a day. Could smell those pies all over Ashford, can smell them from here.
    "Ashford motors on Middle street".....That must have been a few years ago, and a few more!!
  • Options
    Bcaddick said:

limeygent said:

Bcaddick said:

Bcaddick said:

1. The Pub
    2. English humour
    3. Song birds
    4.The Valley
    5. Mr. Kipling cakes
    6. My brother

"Ashford motors on Middle street".....That must have been a few years ago, and a few more!!
    It was 1965, but still can smell those pies.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

TEL said:

Schooner is $6 so about 3 quid...Im not sure how much a pint is back home to be fair. Also earnings are higher here so its all relative really.

Is that in Sydney Tel?
    :)
    Yes Ray..some places will do a happy hour at $5.....might find it more expensive in the city centre
  • Options
    Holly Willoughby
  • Options

ozaddick said:

ozaddick said:

cafcfan said:

ozaddick said:

english boozers, although in Perth there are plenty of decent English themed and very decent Irish pubs.

Last time I was in Perth, it was noticeable that the town, all of it, closed, completely, at 6:15 prompt each evening.
    Have things improved or do you have to go out at lunchtime to enjoy yourself?
    It's a bleeding nanny state in WA. How Ever It's gotten a lot better with a relaxation of liquor licensing laws, there's loads more bars opened up in the last 2 years. The city itself goes quiet after 6pm, unless you know where to go, Northbridge is ok. And you can still stubble out of a club at 6am if you wanna be out out.
    Problem is the male Aussies are right bell ends after a few beers.
    Fixed that for you mate... :wink:

Got a few mates in Perth, apparently you have to take out a mortgage for a beer in a pub?
    And you nailed it AA!!

Price for a jar is around 12 dollars, ludicrous prices.
    How the fuck would you know? Last time you bought a beer, they were still trading in pound notes!
    Keep that fridge of yours stocked up ya mug!
  • Options
    TEL said:

TEL said:

Schooner is $6 so about 3 quid...Im not sure how much a pint is back home to be fair. Also earnings are higher here so its all relative really.

It's £3-5 for a draught pint of imported beer here, or a local beer for about 50p.
    50p sounds cheap, but what do they earn locally?
    Average salary is around £300 a month.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    jamescafc said:

Chunes said:

I miss Nandos
    The lazy day pub crawl
    Reggae reggae sauce
    London during Christmas
    Borough Market
    Greasy spoon
    Pie & mash
    Snow

I must say I think Hong Kong does tea better than us Brits. It's like hot creamy velvet. When I eventually move back to England I pray they have it in Chinatown.

What do you do in HK pal?
    @jamescafc Advertising copywriter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

TEL said:

TEL said:

It's £3-5 for a draught pint of imported beer here, or a local beer for about 50p.
    50p sounds cheap, but what do they earn locally?
    Average salary is around £300 a month.
    Higher than I thought....do you have a good lifestyle out there?
  • Options
    I manage 5 schools in kunming now, taking almost 2k a month, I live a fantastic life and can bank over £1k a month.

Its not exactly a long term life here though.

• Options
    I get the impression it can be a bit lonely there from someone else I know, unless of course you speak the language or have family, but thats the same as being here....lol despite the language.
  • Options
    Kunming has a pretty big expat community and I've been here almost 4 years now, so I have a good amount of friends, Chinese and foreign.

The language is a pain as the general level of English is the lowest of any SEAsian country I have visited. I am almost at the point where I feel comfortable with my Chinese (spoken only, writing is a pain)

For me the long term problems almost entirely revolve around education..... it sucks here and no child of mine will go through the hell that is Chinese public school.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Holly Willoughby

That woman must spend a fortune having her roots dyed black.
  • Options

Kunming has a pretty big expat community and I've been here almost 4 years now, so I have a good amount of friends, Chinese and foreign.

The language is a pain as the general level of English is the lowest of any SEAsian country I have visited. I am almost at the point where I feel comfortable with my Chinese (spoken only, writing is a pain)

For me the long term problems almost entirely revolve around education..... it sucks here and no child of mine will go through the hell that is Chinese public school.

In which respect? All we ever hear is how well educated Chinese children are and how their numeracy skills are far superior to our school children etc...
  • Options

But thanks to pioneers like you, that will change in time...every little step helps.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

In which respect? All we ever hear is how well educated Chinese children are and how their numeracy skills are far superior to our school children etc...
    The elite few?
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Hong Kong also rates very highly. But the schools are pressure boilers. There's an awful child suicide rate - in 2011-2012 more kids killed themselves than died in accidents.

And they mostly teach and learn by rote. It's a schooling system that produces results rather than educated young adults. So yeah, it looks great when you do test score comparisons with other nations, but the reality is different.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ChiAddick said:

Exactly what Chunes said, it's all rote learning that leads to a total lack of creativity and individual thought. I have seen 6 year old in tears as they got 95% in an exam.

A normal English class will involve NO speaking, students do not learn, they are taught, there's a huge difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:

T.C.E said:

TEL said:

Is that in Sydney Tel?
    :)
    Yes Ray..some places will do a happy hour at $5.....might find it more expensive in the city centre
    Thats shocking Tel......encouraging overage drinking with cheap booze while I'm on my holidays, Bungalow 8 on Darling Harbour is the place to be. ;)
  • Options
    If we had known you were coming mate you could have used our self contained flat. We had Lars from Swedish Addicks and his girls staying here at Xmas.