Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Nigel Benn & Steve Collins have agreed a fight. Both men are in their 50s. Absolutely ridiculous!
  • Options

Nigel Benn & Steve Collins have agreed a fight. Both men are in their 50s. Absolutely ridiculous!

Agreed - but no more ridiculous (in fact I would say less) than the self-acclaimed best of all-time boxing a cage fighter.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Agreed - but no more ridiculous (in fact I would say less) than the self-acclaimed best of all-time boxing a cage fighter.
    Would prefer to see that than mayweather mccgregor. Winner to fight Eubank snr??
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Jesus, why?
    Pair of stupid sods.
  • Options
    No doubt they'll get licences from the Luxembourg Boxing Board.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Jesus, why?
    Pair of stupid sods.
    A mix of ego and money I would suggest - mainly the latter.
  • Options
    The usual 'unfinished business' bollocks?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Not just self-acclaimed. I don't think there's much question that's he's the best to have boxed this century.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Not just self-acclaimed. I don't think there's much question that's he's the best to have boxed this century.
    I wouldn't disagree with that - almost certainly the best pound for pound in the last 17 years. The best of all-time takes in another 100 years and there most certainly isn't agreement that he has that title. At least one, maybe both Sugar Rays, are above him in my opinion.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Collins is 2 up, I say it's finished, unless Benn wins and there's a rematch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

iaitch said:

Best of five?

At least Collins is honest and has come out and said that the only reason for him is financial.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

iaitch said:

Best of five?

At least Collins is honest and has come out and said that the only reason for him is financial.
    Steve Collins was such a good fighter it's a shame that he couldn't be financially sound. Don't get me wrong I'm not kept up at night worrying about his financial situation but quite often the way with professional sportsmen especially fighters who put a lot on the line, people around them end up a lot better off than them
  • Options
    Nigel and steve are in superb shape and have been sparring in the gyms for ages

The fight was due to be vs Eubank three yrs ago but chris did his normal bullshit

According to benn he finished his career in a shadow with drug addiction and numerous personal issues

He said it's for closure the interview with big kugan is very enlightening and shows a lot of insite into his reasons for fighting
  • Options
    but he says he is getting 1.5 mil for the fight I think that's more reason to fight than closure he also said the Eubank fight was worth double that
  • Options
    Despite it being announced I'm not convinced it will happen.
    Where is the money coming from to pay the purse?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    WBO, WBC, IBF, WBA....OAP?
  • Options

You could sell the crap out of the advertising on it and it would easily pull in a sponsor , fights like this on sport bible would generate a lot of views ,

Depending where and when if it was on a fight card with a decent headline you'd sell tickets also to generate a real amount of cash
  • Options

You could sell the crap out of the advertising on it and it would easily pull in a sponsor , fights like this on sport bible would generate a lot of views ,

Depending where and when if it was on a fight card with a decent headline you'd sell tickets also to generate a real amount of cash
    Exactly, add to that the ghoulish curiosity of fight fans and as part of a show like Haye v Bellew 2 (please let this fight happen) it would get enormous pay per view sales. A hell of a lot of people, me included have nothing but love for Nigel Benn and whilst I think this fight is more suited to a nondescript white collar show I would travel to watch it having never seen Benn fight in the flesh. In fact it was probably Nigel Benn who got me into boxing.
  • Options
    Loved Nigel Benn. And the dust ups Collins had with Benn and Eubank were the hardest fought I've seen... Lots of respect for Collins
    This would be like watching the Rolling Stones I reckon
  • Options
    Thoughts on Eubank Jnr v Abraham last night?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thoughts on Eubank Jnr v Abraham last night?

I was reasonably impressed with junior's performance, although Abrahams is now a spent force. There's no question he has the moves but I'm not convinced he has the punching power at super-middleweight, some of those uppercuts should have troubled Abrahams more than they did (yes I know he's got a granite chin, but ...).

I would take George to beat Eubank fairly comfortably - I would also back Billy Jo to beat him again if they ever meet.

This may sound strange as nobody does really, but I don't think he likes getting hit! Most boxers will take a shot to land one whilst still maintaining their discipline - junior seems to get rattled when he's been hit and that is a recipe for disaster against someone with accurate and heavy hands (George).

The fight of the night was Robbie Davies Junior against Syrowatka. A real tear up and Davies lost in my opinion because he tried to be too macho - if he had stayed at distance he would have won on points comfortably. He looked to be in real trouble at the end of the fight but the reports from the hospital are I believe positive. A rematch would be worth paying to see.
  • Options
    Bobmonro bang on the money with the post above

JR does not carry the power his frame and PR videos suggest he should be causing opponents when he lands flush ,

He has the look and moves of a classy boxer but imo he will quit when the going gets tough last night he got hit 4 times in last nights fight and against a younger more mobile boxer he would have been tested more

Take nothing away from him the performance was very good , yet again he came through a good hard camp looking fantastic

has a real chance to dominate if he can somehow get the snap into his punches abs as I don't think there is a finer physical and fitter middleweight that starts fights so quick and intense

Groves and smith degale beat him currently relatively easily

Glad Robbie has tweeted his all clear

Performance of the night for me was Selby to fight at that level only 4 days after the death of his mum against a man who stole his big night from him only months ago simply amazing

Really pleased Martin J Ward won the belt out right very hard working and genuine kid

• Options
    Bizarre
  • Options
    cruz vs frampton 3 was worth a lot of money to a lot of people once Carl couldn't be mandatory due to missing the weight it's no surprise that the fight didn't go ahead

#justsaying
  • Options
    Just Broner Garcia to look forward to in the early hours then
  • Options
    Few rumours Carl came in over weight to avoid being made mandatory to Gary Russell Jnr.
    Would mean a third fight with Santa Cruz or even a fight with Selby would be much easier to make and for a lot more money too.
  • Options
    Gary Russell would smash Frampton.
  • Options

Gary Russell would smash Frampton.

That's not a bad call you know. If I was Carl Frampton I'd not be in a rush to get in the ring with Gary Russel junior

The Santa Cruz rubber is the right fight then think about Gary Russel junior
  • Options
    Garcia took Broner to school there tonight.