Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Good venue for a fight that
  • Options
    Lewison is some debut
  • Options

Lewison is some debut

Not sure Joyce has the time to hang around to be fair.
  • Options

Lewison is some debut

With someone like Joe Joyce I'm not sure there is much to be gained by notching up eastern European punchbags. Ian Lewinson can thump and will be a really good test, O don't think Joe Joyce will hang about
  • Options
    Should be a good test for Joyce, Lewison done pretty well against Whyte when they fought for the British title. He's an awkward fighter, wouldn't be my choice for a debut fight!
  • Options
    Yeah, I know Joyce will need to get a move on, I also believe he will overcome Lewison but thought maybe that would be a 2nd or 3rd fight with a quick turn around, maybe 3 fights in a couple of months sort of thing.
  • Options
    Has Joe Joyce turned professional then? I loved watching him at the Olympics, he was as scary as hell. He just hunted the opponent down. From what I read about him seems an intelligent, decent guy. I think he's in his 30s, so not sure what his plans are.
  • Options
    MVP is making his boxing debut on the haymaker card.

Obviously there is no market for mix martial artists to do boxing after the record breaking PPV numbers. :smiley:
  • Options
    Met Joe Cordina after his recent fight whilst on holiday in Gozo, Malta. Really nice humble guy, had time to talk, family man with 2 little ones. Started off his Pro career 4 and 0....I will be following how he gets on, next he says Oct 28th at the Millenium Stadium.
    He is of Gozitan decent!
  • Options

MVP is making his boxing debut on the haymaker card.

Obviously there is no market for mix martial artists to do boxing after the record breaking PPV numbers. :smiley:

I'm going just to cheer him up. Time to shake up boxing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Met Joe Cordina after his recent fight whilst on holiday in Gozo, Malta. Really nice humble guy, had time to talk, family man with 2 little ones. Started off his Pro career 4 and 0....I will be following how he gets on, next he says Oct 28th at the Millenium Stadium.
    He is of Gozitan decent!

Joe cordina is real quality imo silky skills and heart of lion will go a long long way

The Joyce fight will be tough but he will come through I ain't sold on Joyce by a long long way
  • Options
    I don't see what the fuss is about fighters from MMA or other combat backgrounds making careers in professional boxing

George Groves and Scott Quigg were both kickboxers, I think Groves was a world champ in fact.

Generally you can see or at least guess at those from a K1 or kickboxing background by how high and wide they hold their elbows
  • Options
    Just bought my tickets on O2 priority for the Joyce fight, £60 for decent floor seats, can't really argue with that for a night out
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Carter said:

I don't see what the fuss is about fighters from MMA or other combat backgrounds making careers in professional boxing

George Groves and Scott Quigg were both kickboxers, I think Groves was a world champ in fact.

Generally you can see or at least guess at those from a K1 or kickboxing background by how high and wide they hold their elbows

Not sure anyone is arguing with fighters from other combat disciplines making a career in boxing.

George's first fight was a six-rounder against Kirilas Psonko (not a household name I'm sure you'll agree). Two and a half years after turning pro he had his first 'real' fight against DeGale.

He is entering the Super Eight as a 9 year professional, a world title holder, and with 29 fights to his name.

His amateur record was 66 wins out of 76 fights with 40 stoppage victories - including two senior ABA titles.

A bit different than having your first fight in Las Vegas against one of the best PfP of all time in what was the richest fight in history.
  • Options
    Bob Monroe I salute that answer mate

It's the cross over that I don't like same as Curtis woodhouse wanting to fight the bama champ in a cage I don't see why he would want to and after chatting with him on sat I ain't sure he will and I said to him that i think it's not something I'd be interested in watching and nor would a lot of people who are serious about the sport of boxing ,
  • Options
    Carter said:

Both Klitschkos were epic kickboxers also if I remember the documentary about them right.
  • Options

He is of Gozitan decent!

Joe cordina is real quality imo silky skills and heart of lion will go a long long way

The Joyce fight will be tough but he will come through I ain't sold on Joyce by a long long way
    Only saw Joyce's Olympics fights, but he's a big guy and being talked up. Do you think he's more of an Audley than an Anthony then?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    That would be a fair comparison tbh, based only on the age and time that he left the amateur ranks

I think personally joe Joyce missed the boat he should not be having a pro debut at 31 in that division

The time for Joe to step up and out of the AJ shadow was 2015 after the European championships he done well enough and I know that he had both Eddie and frank interested

He chose to stay on the amateur platform and aim for an Olympics of his own

(This makes me question desire to be pro)

From memory i heard a buncey interview about Joe and a story about how he had smashed AJ around the ring and dropped him with head guards on no easy feat by anyone's standards

So if you have done that to the 2012 golden boy why wait until 2017 before you go pro and are 31

He is nowhere near mobile enough or light enough on his toes and the adage old dog new tricks will play out here

The difference between amateur and pro is vast and the biggest and worst down fall of all he has signed with haye
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Not sure anyone is arguing with fighters from other combat disciplines making a career in boxing.

George's first fight was a six-rounder against Kirilas Psonko (not a household name I'm sure you'll agree). Two and a half years after turning pro he had his first 'real' fight against DeGale.

He is entering the Super Eight as a 9 year professional, a world title holder, and with 29 fights to his name.

His amateur record was 66 wins out of 76 fights with 40 stoppage victories - including two senior ABA titles.

A bit different than having your first fight in Las Vegas against one of the best PfP of all time in what was the richest fight in history.
    I should have said in this thread again how much disdain I had for the McGregor circus. You are spot on in your assessment but the point I was making was it isn't always a song and dance when kickboxers or pugilists from not entirely exclusive boxing backgrounds quietly carve out careers as opposed to doing so with massive fanfare and calling people put purely to make a pound note
  • Options
    60,000 sold in first 90 mins of general sale for AJ V Pulev.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I doubt there is another country on earth that could do that for boxing.

AJ is going to retire a very rich man (and deservedly so).
  • Options
    got my tickets, its like a curse, looked up the football fixtures fucking millwall are playing cardiff away that day so will drive instead of training it, havent got time to go to the doctors for vaccinations, have got a premier inn overnight bit of a cab fare from the stadium but was only 37.50 each.
  • Options

Sold to fans or tickets agencies? Either way I have called this so horribly wrong.
  • Options
    Millwall in the city with 79,900 other football fans that night. Horrendous.
  • Options
    Anyone else heading to the copperbox on Saturday for the Billy Joe Saunders fight?

A month ago I'd have said he was going to struggle but his training camp under Ingle seems to have gone very well.
  • Options
    Im astounded by the lack of Canelo GGG build up over here.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Sold to fans or tickets agencies? Either way I have called this so horribly wrong.
    Probably a bit of both. It was a lot easier to get tickets than normal. So I think the fans got a lot more than say the Wlad fight.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    JT said:

The best thing Sky and Matchroom have is Sky Sports News. They really use it well to promote their shows.

Plus Warren is a promotional dinosaur.
  • Options

JT said:

The best thing Sky and Matchroom have is Sky Sports News. They really use it well to promote their shows.

Plus Warren is a promotional dinosaur.
    I think Frank Warren is a real gem and you won't find me slagging him off ;)
  • Options
    JT said:

Truely split I can't pick between them I go from GGG to canello daily

I am going to stick my next out and say canello but as I right this I can visualise a GGG ko of canello.

I can't wait for the fight

Billy Joe vs Monroe will be a slug fest billy bang in shape and in mean spirits I can tell you that