Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Wood was out of it, don’t think he’d have recovered in the minute or so he’d have had in the corner - think Davison made the smart decision for his fighter

What a fighter Lara is by the way, 24 years old & has TKO’d both Wood & Josh Warrington 
  • Options
    Ben Davidson should not have thrown the towel in there, these guys are featherweights, world level fighters and there was about 10 seconds left in the round then a minute to recover. 

Lara is a banger, absolutely decimated Josh Warrington in their first fight and whilst he was looking very ragged he had his feet planted as firm as they go into the canvas when that hook landed 
  • Options
    What's interesting is that a number of pros have come out today to defend Davidson's decision. 10 seconds fighting essentially undefended against Lara could have been dangerous.

Easy for us to say it's early but that doesn't seem to be the consensus from those who know best. 
  • Options
    Such a tough one, at first I thought it was ridiculous, I didn’t expect him to be able to recover in the corner but at least there would be more time to assess properly. But then thinking about it, if the trainer was certain he’d pull him out anyway, why risk further damage pointlessly. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What's interesting is that a number of pros have come out today to defend Davidson's decision. 10 seconds fighting essentially undefended against Lara could have been dangerous.

Easy for us to say it's early but that doesn't seem to be the consensus from those who know best. 
    Then I don’t think we are too far off fights being over on a knockdown. Literally thousands of fights and careers wouldn’t have progressed if a boxer wasn’t given the ability to shake off a wobble. This was a world title fight, that he was winning, with 10 secs to a bell and reset. 

I get why Davidson did it, and you have a split second to make those decisions. I’ve seen loads of fights a responsible trainer should have thrown in a towel and stopped his boxer taking further punishment, but it was no where near that point last night. 
  • Options
    I will never criticise a corner throwing the towel in - nobody knows the fighter better than the trainer and the trainer's primary concern during a fight is the safety and well being of his fighter.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Croydon said:

Then I don’t think we are too far off fights being over on a knockdown. Literally thousands of fights and careers wouldn’t have progressed if a boxer wasn’t given the ability to shake off a wobble. This was a world title fight, that he was winning, with 10 secs to a bell and reset. 

I get why Davidson did it, and you have a split second to make those decisions. I’ve seen loads of fights a responsible trainer should have thrown in a towel and stopped his boxer taking further punishment, but it was no where near that point last night. 
    I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration. If you watch it back and watch the entire 8 count, he didn't know where he was to lift his gloves at the first time of asking. He's got a rematch clause, why risk getting hurt?
  • Options
    They've seen him in sparring too, they'll know if he's capable of coming back after a knockdown and getting dazed or not. 
  • Options
    There isn't really a right nor wrong here, Carl Froch upon looking back at the situation said it was stopped prematurely which made me chuckle as it was Howard Foster who has previous for some generous stoppages in favour of ticket sellers and Carl had been the very famous recipient of one such stoppage 

@AFKABartram is right as is @Croydon and @bobmunro my personal opinion of the fight last night was that is was stopped early given all the factors that me and Afka described, world title fight, light weight fighters, 10 seconds of the round left but I wasn't in there and its easy for me to be brave sat on a chat forum 

Bixing is a brutal, brutal sport and whilst I want to see good, competitive, exciting fights and knockouts I hypocritically dont want anyone getting seriously hurt and getting repeatedly punched by someone trained to an elite level to do just that is a dangerous way to make a living 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Tyson Fury has placed a £100,000 bet on his brother knocking out Jake Paul this weekend.
  • Options
    If he doesn't Tyson will be knocking out Tommy.
  • Options
    Just seen pictures of the crowd at the Floyd Mayweather 'fight' last night at the o2. Looks empty

I'm pleased to see people voting with their feet for these things. They are farcical & i have very little interest in them. 

Looks like a lot of people feel the same

• Options
    Anyone got a stream for the fight tonight?
  • Options
    Obviously that "script" that was online early was rubbish how can you script an eye swelling up 🤣

But some people clearly believing it, Paul to win in round 8 has gone from 33/1 this morning to 12/1 now 🤣
  • Options

Can't believe I've been sucked in by this... Crolla has had a mare, what's going on with that barnet
  • Options
    Obviously that "script" that was online early was rubbish how can you script an eye swelling up 🤣

But some people clearly believing it, Paul to win in round 8 has gone from 33/1 this morning to 12/1 now 🤣
    If you let Mike Tyson give you a whack maybe you can find out...
  • Options
    Well thats a first, every celeb ringside announced to the crowd (well, I've never seen that before tbh!)
  • Options

Exactly my point Jake Paul is not Mike Tyson accuracy or power

You can't script a eye swelling 

However it can happen if he gets hit by a great punch in the perfect spot, but the fact people are believing its scripted to happen is ridiculous 

How many fights have you watched where people have taken punch after punch and not had any swelling especially enough for the ringside doctor to get involved 🤣

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Exactly my point Jake Paul is not Mike Tyson accuracy or power

You can't script a eye swelling 

However it can happen if he gets hit by a great punch in the perfect spot, but the fact people are believing its scripted to happen is ridiculous 

How many fights have you watched where people have taken punch after punch and not had any swelling especially enough for the ringside doctor to get involved 🤣

You could easily stage manage a clash of heads, this guy is a scourge of modern media. He has clearly made a phenomenal amount of money to be staging this sack of tits tonight and got so many people on board but in boxing money is the only language that means anything, ticket sellers have always got wonky decisions and where a promoter holds a monopoly like Hearn does in the UK people want to ensure his big expe side showboat is kept afloat, this won't be any different. The amount of money that has been invested into tonight will soon wipe any indignity off a member of the Fury family's mind. David Haye didn't seem too bothered about surrendering his legacy in 2 absolute bullshit fights with Tony Bellew. 
  • Options
    The lack of quality on display is really something 
  • Options
    This is awful lol
  • Options
    8 rounds of faking and cuddling = draw = payday 2
  • Options
    Fury doing himself no favours here even if he wins. Has to absolutely spark Paul out for any credibility 
  • Options
    You just know the judges will score this terribly 
  • Options
    Paul relying on clinching way too much.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The lack of quality on display is really something 
    What did you expect??
  • Options
    Fury walking to a decision here, can see the judges giving a draw. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    This ref as well. Knew it would be farcical but it's just so much worse than I thought it would be