Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Utterly shocked at how much interest there was in that match. Guess i'm getting old.
    It's called marketing...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Utterly shocked at how much interest there was in that match. Guess i'm getting old.
    It's called marketing...

AKA kidology.
  • Options
    It's the same reason that a football match between two teams of "Youtubers" easily sold out The Valley.
    My now 19 year old son had never shown any interest in watching boxing, but he made sure that he watched the fight between KSI and Logan Paul.
    I said to my wife last night that it is ridiculous and that these kids that are interested in these people are not living in the real world. She said that it is their real world, as they have grown up watching YouTube and not TV like our generation did. 
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure most people posting on this thread aren't kids.
  • Options
    It's the same reason that a football match between two teams of "Youtubers" easily sold out The Valley.
    My now 19 year old son had never shown any interest in watching boxing, but he made sure that he watched the fight between KSI and Logan Paul.
    I said to my wife last night that it is ridiculous and that these kids that are interested in these people are not living in the real world. She said that it is their real world, as they have grown up watching YouTube and not TV like our generation did. 
    The sad fact is that they are more interested in 'celebrity' than talent. Mediocre youtubers can command huge audiences for being bad at something.

It may be the way things are now but for me it's thoroughly depressing.

Bluster and bullshit are the winners here...

• Options
    The sad fact is that they are more interested in 'celebrity' than talent. Mediocre youtubers can command huge audiences for being bad at something.

Couldn’t agree more
  • Options
    Loads watched it free via a dodgy stream on a Sunday night when nothing else was on. Its really not that deep.
  • Options

if watching sport was all about talent you wouldn't be watching Charlton every week, you would be watching the Prem.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Yep. As a boxing fan, I really don't get the appeal of watching these reality TV stars & YouTube influencers have these "fights"

I assumed it was just kids that were interested, but judging by the talk on here & how excited some of my mates were about it, it's obviously bigger than that.

It baffles me  & devalues the sport IMO
  • Options
    Yep. As a boxing fan, I really don't get the appeal of watching these reality TV stars & YouTube influencers have these "fights"

I assumed it was just kids that were interested, but judging by the talk on here & how excited some of my mates were about it, it's obviously bigger than that.

It baffles me  & devalues the sport IMO
    The coverage it got on Talkshite was pretty amazing. If this is the way forward for boxing it will devalue the sport. 

Neither boxer would be taken seriously at professional level.

More hype, rigged fights and OTT marketing to follow.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I've read back on peoples comments and I cant see anyone taking it that seriously. In fact, most were critising and saying how shite it was.
  • Options
    Well I've read back on peoples comments and I cant see anyone taking it that seriously. In fact, most were critising and saying how shite it was.
    It still got far more coverage in the mainstream media and a bigger audience than most professional fights. 'Celebrity' seems to be the main selling point...
  • Options
    I don't mind celebrity boxing (didn't watch last night but in general) - the charity fights a while back, Ricky Gervais v Bob Mortimer, that sort of stuff.  Vaguely interesting to see how well (or otherwise) they can do with a bit of training.

The issue with the fight last night and similar ones is them trying to dress it up as serious sport.
  • Options
    It still got far more coverage in the mainstream media and a bigger audience than most professional fights. 'Celebrity' seems to be the main selling point...
    Welcome to the 21st Century. 
  • Options
    Still showing an interest. I'm guessing the PPV figures will be very impressive. It was a mainstream event unlike the Woodley rematch which was considered a disaster.

Mayweather fought at the O2 on Saturday, one post saying the place was empty.
  • Options
    I watched it purely because I think Jake Paul is a twot and I wanted to see him get knocked out, I know a lot of my friends similar so there’s defo a variety of reasons for watching.

That said I wasn’t expecting much in terms of quality going in so I wasn’t disappointed at the quality on show so maybe it also depends on expectations.
  • Options

Have you just worked out how the media works ? :) 
  • Options
    Still showing an interest. I'm guessing the PPV figures will be very impressive. It was a mainstream event unlike the Woodley rematch which was considered a disaster.

Which was an exhibition bout, just as bad no? I don't get the big deal personally, some people will prefer Fury v Paul to Fury v Usyk. Boxing fans will prefer the latter. Pretty obvious as to the reasons why and not unexpected. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hate reality tv and don't follow it. I watched the fight on Sunday. I found a stream. I didn't watch all of the hype. 

I'm not sure how to conclude this?
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Which was an exhibition bout, just as bad no? I don't get the big deal personally, some people will prefer Fury v Paul to Fury v Usyk. Boxing fans will prefer the latter. Pretty obvious as to the reasons why and not unexpected. 
    To me the two were about the same, however, Fury V Paul did attract the interest of hardcore boxing fans. Guess as Fury won they won't show any interest in Paul's next match. 
  • Options
    Just out of interest what belt did Fury win last night? Seen pictures of him holding one which must make him very proud. WBO Twatfest Champion or something?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Just out of interest what belt did Fury win last night? Seen pictures of him holding one which must make him very proud. WBO Twatfest Champion or something?
    WBC Diriyah Belt (name of the arena/town).

Perhaps the Diarrhea Belt would have been more apt to represent the shit they both talk.
  • Options

Mayweather fought someone from Geordie Shore who had had one boxing match before. It was an exhibition and had loads written into the contract about knockdowns etc. I'm glad the place was empty. 
  • Options
    Isn't this pretty normal?

Two of the most popular programmes on TV every year are I'm a Celebrity get me out of here and Strictly come dancing.
  • Options
    Anyone watching the boxing on DAZN?
    Never seen a boxer's ankle just snap like that.
  • Options
    I'm the first to acknowledge that boxing is pretty low down when it comes to my sporting knowledge but is Manny Pacquiao really coming out of retirement to fight Conor Benn? 
  • Options
    Eddie Hearn vs Simon Jordan has been a good listen on Talksport this morning.  They really don't like each other!
  • Options
    Battle of the well-spoken barrow boys!