Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Great picture, of all the things I thought would die, my ginger has reappeared and looks like being a good year, but most things are well behind, but nobody said it would be easy lol.
  • Options
    Ok guys, I'm in need of a climbing Rose (Needs to be idiot proof) I've put some willow up the eyesore of a wall up to the front door.
    It gets sun virtually all day at this time of year with partial shade around now, anymore than watering I will kill it so as I said "Idiotproof"
    Can be in a pot or planted out.
    Cheers
  • Options
    David Austin is the big name in roses, well worth a look online and in some garden centres.
  • Options
    Planted out some climbing roses last week, now I’ve really found something I enjoy especially with so much time on my hands.
    I’m looking at greenhouses preferably a wooden one, with the high winds coming off the cliffs polycarbonate is ruled out also, I’ve a budget of around a grand any links would be appreciated. 👍
  • Options
    https://www.waltons.co.uk/products/8-ft-x-8-ft-combi-greenhouse?om=7164&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=1602405536&adgroup_id=132860565756&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz8GuBhCxARIsAOpzk8wI1TSercDkS4s_WLBrnwCIbE11EX_inYK4zxaXdXb4OTUpB8Au0mkaAnOoEALw_wcB

2 in one 

Wooden ones are expensive, suppose on account the expensive bits of timber you need for a shed or outbuilding you will still need for a greenhouse. Building your own is an option, head over to lakeside timber, get all the big bit then the smaller bits to set the glass into. My homegrown has been suffering, my lack of greenhouse is the main reason so all things being well we can go into partnership. Might settle Bowyer down too. When one of the cats ate a whole plant of white widow she slept for 15 hours straight 
  • Options
    Anyone recognise what might be wrong here, I was gifted this Camellia and the first flower to open is brown tinted, a second showing the same signs.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Options
    I'm not an expert but I think that is caused by wet weather. The outside petals get soaked and then dry out fusing together. If you peel away the outer petals then the inner ones should open out as normal.
    I notice some yellowing of the leaves. Are you growing it in acid soil? If not then you need to.
  • Options
    Thank you, it’s in a huge pot, I fed it yesterday with an acid type plant food.
     I only got it earlier in the week, it’s sat unattended in someone’s garden since early December so it’s had little or no care since then. 
  • Options
    I always feed my camelia with sequestered iron immediately after blooming and a more acidic feed in Feb..try that in future. Those buds might be a bit weak due to lack of acid in the soil but constant rain followed by a frost wdnt have helped .

Ditto for azealas and rhododendron but feed in March 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been a bit late in starting my tomato seeds off and they are only just coming up. Hoping they will catch up.
  • Options
    I've been a bit late in starting my tomato seeds off and they are only just coming up. Hoping they will catch up.
    Do you mean Ketchup ?

• Options
    I haven't done any from seed this year, too wet and cold. I'll do some in the propagator I use for the herbal medical plants once they have gotten big enough to transplant. Got some tumbling ones for baskets last year and they were excellent. Can't beat home grown fruit or vegetables for taste. Tomatoes and cucumbers don't just taste of water they have depth to them. I'm going to do some climbing vegetables like beans and peas as well this year. My indestructible strawberries are flourishing which is a surprise as they have been getting soaked. The babies grown from the long suckers are already making fruits in random pots and planters. 

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    Loving this gardening lark, it’s my new favourite thing along with cooking.
    Got my greenhouse 6x10, went with polycarbonate in the end purely from a safety perspective after watching Bowyer chase Valli around the garden, stones hitting our fence sounded like machine gun fire.
    Several people locally downsizing their gardens selling off established plants in pots giving me a bit of a head start. 
    5 Roses planted against the front of the house (Paul’s scarlet) Millie named after our 5 dogs, ironically the one she named Bowyer is the biggest and already getting out of control 😂
    2 Dublin bay roses also planted along front of the house. 
    Various seeds and bulbs in the greenhouse and new raised beds built, 2000lt of soil and compost being delivered tomorrow. 
    Expensive hobby but cheaper over the long run than a therapist so more power to you guys who got me hooked on it.
    Out in the garden for hours! 💪
    That's funny, because I have just planted some Paul's Scarlet, but mine are crategus (hawthorns), rather than roses.  

But, I have just spent a few minutes googling roses and now I am tempted to buy some*.  

*loads 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Dad having Paul's Scarlet in his garden years ago it was bred in 1915 apparently.  A real old favourite.

I'd recommend Sunny Sky which won 'Rose of the year' in 2016. It's a very vigorous and free flowering HT bush rose.  I took 7 cuttings of my one 6 years ago and they all took!  After three years I made a hedge of them in the front garden.  Unfortunately my photos do no justice to it, but it has been magnificent for the last two years.  Well ... with my rose tinted glasses on anyway.

It looks a beautiful rose. 
    I’ve never taken cuttings of roses - is it the same method as doing them from fruit bushes?
  • Options
    Love my gardening albeit I am hampered by my mobility. I have now found a way to kneel on an upturned portable bench with my prosthetic leg so I can now get back to weeding and pruning duties. I can do basic strimming much to Mrs SB’s horror although I have reassured her that it will be difficult to cut my leg off so long as I lead with the metal one!!  It is frustrating that some of the tasks that I used to love are now beyond me and we have had the shittiest of winters so we are way behind. That said, I am blessed to have such a wonderful cottage garden with some gorgeous very established rose bushes (and some newer ones courtesy of @Fanny Fanackapan) that give us so much pleasure. The hardest thing with roses is to bring yourself to cut them back ferociously hard in January. You will feel awful doing this but you will be rewarded spectacularly if you do it properly. Infestations of wild garlic (pretty but very invasive), ground elder (not the least bit pretty and horrendously invasive) and bindweed (the devil’s own work) need to be dealt with and I’m out there between the storms and rains yanking them out by the handful. We’re lucky they we can get away with “wild” rather than manicured given the cottage setting and the bluebells are finally rising above the weed  so it’s gonna be pretty colourful in another week or two. 
    We have some lovely hellebores, purchased very cheaply a few years ago albeit very small , that have flourished in a small border area. 

Also, a small bed of geraniums - " Rozanne" - which I believe is one of the most expensive varieties and again originally just purchased 3 small plants soon after we moved here in 2015. 

IMO, it's worth starting small & cheaply with the end results much more satisfying than spending loadsa money on established plants. 

Lovely garden, SB ! x
  • Options
    I remember Dad having Paul's Scarlet in his garden years ago it was bred in 1915 apparently.  A real old favourite.

I'd recommend Sunny Sky which won 'Rose of the year' in 2016. It's a very vigorous and free flowering HT bush rose.  I took 7 cuttings of my one 6 years ago and they all took!  After three years I made a hedge of them in the front garden.  Unfortunately my photos do no justice to it, but it has been magnificent for the last two years.  Well ... with my rose tinted glasses on anyway.

Almost passes for the ecru kit 😉
  • Options

Absolutely beautiful..do they have a perfume? 
  • Options

It looks a beautiful rose. 
    I’ve never taken cuttings of roses - is it the same method as doing them from fruit bushes?
    I took the cuttings towards the end of the growing season, the thickness of a pencil, about ten inches long, removed leaves, noted top from bottom (cut straight at bottom and slanted the top).  Then I scraped about an inch off the skin at the bottom, dipped into water then rooting powder and planted deep - about 4 inches or so.  I put 4 cuttings per flower pot and then put them out of the way somewhere for - two years. 

I have to say though I wasn't successful with other varieties that I took.  I think Sunny Sky is particularly robust and vigorous. I may have just got a bit lucky.

• Options
    lolwray said:

Absolutely beautiful..do they have a perfume? 
    It's described as a 'delicate' fragrance by rose growers - tbh it's too delicate for my hooter to pick up.
  • Options
    edited April 12
    I have a couple of Peony’s that are now a couple of feet high. They produce lots of large headed flowers but sag dreadfully when in flower, especially after some rain. I have the metal hoops but they only come up about a foot or so above soil level and frankly not much use when the peony is full height ( 4 feet) and in flower. I’ve tried staking and using twine but this only seems to bunch the stems together spoiling the effect of the plant. Advice gratefully received with thanks in advance.