Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

1222324252628»

Comments

• Options
    I have a couple of Peony’s that are now a couple of feet high. They produce lots of large headed flowers but sag dreadfully when in flower, especially after some rain. I have the metal hoops but they only come up about a foot or so above soil level and frankly not much use when the peony is full height ( 4 feet) and in flower. I’ve tried staking and using twine but this only seems to bunch the stems together spoiling the effect of the plant. Advice gratefully received with thanks in advance.

I bought 6m lengths of 5mm rebar, can shape it as you need too. Rusty so it blends quite well in the garden. I planted my mum's peony when we moved in 6 years ago. It had been in a pot for 13 years previously and it only flowered for the first time last year, it will flower again this year. The grumpy old sod didn't like to be moved. Bit like me.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    I have a couple of Peony’s that are now a couple of feet high. They produce lots of large headed flowers but sag dreadfully when in flower, especially after some rain. I have the metal hoops but they only come up about a foot or so above soil level and frankly not much use when the peony is full height ( 4 feet) and in flower. I’ve tried staking and using twine but this only seems to bunch the stems together spoiling the effect of the plant. Advice gratefully received with thanks in advance.

I bought 6m lengths of 5mm rebar, can shape it as you need too. Rusty so it blends quite well in the garden. I planted my mum's peony when we moved in 6 years ago. It had been in a pot for 13 years previously and it only flowered for the first time last year, it will flower again this year. The grumpy old sod didn't like to be moved. Bit like me.
    Thank you Red. That is exactly what I’m going to do. Not expensive either. 👍👍👍👍
  • Options
    Planted a Jostaberry plant three years ago and it's done nothing except grow foliage. Finally this year it's producing some blossom so I'm hopeful of a crop if I don't sell the house beforehand. Same goes for my dwarf cherry tree which has a clump of flowers for the first time. Promising!
  • Options
    I’ve got an ant problem. I’ve had it for a couple of years and they’ve got to go. They’re in my greenhouse. I could try nematodes but it says it deters them. I can’t imagine they will all just troop out the door. I would rather not kill them but…..
    any ‘kind’ methods of getting rid?
  • Options
    I’ve got an ant problem. I’ve had it for a couple of years and they’ve got to go. They’re in my greenhouse. I could try nematodes but it says it deters them. I can’t imagine they will all just troop out the door. I would rather not kill them but…..
    Put baking soda or bicarb wherever they are coming and going from. Apparently salt works too. Failing that you can dig them out until you find the nest and eggs and move them elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Err why?

• Options
    Err why?

Live and let live!
  • Options
    Err why?

Live and let live!
    I don’t use anything to kill what most people call pests. We get slugs, snails and all the usual others. We also have lots of snail shells missing their contents so something is eating them and others. 
    We came to gardening this way through laziness and  ignorance. When we bought our house we did nothing in the garden apart from cutting the grass, basically we didn’t have the time and money to do anything else. I think it’s worth sacrificing a couple of years of plants while attracting the predator species in. We have a few Hostas, which are slug bait, they grow well with little damage. Of course we are not immune to losing some of our bedding plants but doing nothing to control damage is easy  I prefer to let things live. 
  • Options
    To protect my ganja and tomatoes I plant Rosemary herbs and Marigolds next to them, they encourage ladybirds who then get fat on all the stuff that likes to eat medicinal plants. I do the same with bedding plants. Hosters are the one that I have to put wool pellets down on as they are catnip for slugs and I haven't seen a toad or hedgehog in our garden for years as they used to take care of the slugs. 

Pesticides are no good, I'm all in on making the garden as welcoming as I can for pollinators, I have a few buggerys and a big log bed for the insects to make a home in. 

Spraying everything is unhealthy to us as well as the insects being nerfed. Squirrels are an issue, I feed them and I must have some of the fattest squirrels in the country in my garden and the little bastards still dig bulbs up and dephile my lawn regularly. 

Rats and Buxus Bush caterpillars are the only exception to my no kill policy. The ones the cats don't get I pick off with a rifle (rats not the caterpillars) Sparrows also take care of the little bugs. I spray some stuff a couple of times a year on the buxus bush to deter the caterpillars as those invasive shits destroy buxus in this country and they aren't cheap to replace 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been a bit late in starting my tomato seeds off and they are only just coming up. Hoping they will catch up.
    don't think you're late. They shouldn't be put out until frosts have finished anyway -probably another month.
  • Options
    Currently visiting wife's family in Scotland, planning to purchase a few exotic plants up here in the hope they may be a bit more hardy than the stuff I get down south.
  • Options
    Currently visiting wife's family in Scotland, planning to purchase a few exotic plants up here in the hope they may be a bit more hardy than the stuff I get down south.
    Water them with Iron Bru
  • Options
    Scottish Alpine strawberries are really nice and they are even harder than my covid strawberries 
  • Options
    Is there anything in this post that ISN'T a euphemism?
  • Options
    Nice Sago. Bournemouth 👍
  • Options
    decking quite a sizeable area of my garden at the moment - very unsightly bit down the bottom which is uneven and would need a huge amount of work to dig up the concrete and crap in it, roughly 12m x 8m.....christ the price of materials!!
  • Options
    decking quite a sizeable area of my garden at the moment - very unsightly bit down the bottom which is uneven and would need a huge amount of work to dig up the concrete and crap in it, roughly 12m x 8m.....christ the price of materials!!
    All gone through the roof coz of covid. Glad I got my oak conservatory done just before, cost a fortune but dread to think how much now

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're having a couple of patios put in at the moment. As you say, prices have shot up.
  • Options
    Just finished this today!
    Slowly claiming the garden back from the dogs.

• Options
    Any ideas what this folks?
    Thank you

• Options
    edited April 29
    @T_C_E The plant is Solomon's Seal  (polygonatum hybridum to it's scientific friends)
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/89364/polygonatum-hybridum/details  
  • Options
    N01R4M said:v
    @T_C_E The plant is Solomon's Seal  (polygonatum hybridum to it's scientific friends)
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/89364/polygonatum-hybridum/details  
    Thank you 👍
  • Options

My garden has become my happy place 😂
    I think I’ll look at doing a tiered raised beds in the centre with a centre piece plant, any ideas what would look good?

• Options
    Old olive tree for me, nice job . 
  • Options
    edited April 29
    Old olive tree for me, nice job . 
    Would go well but £££'s to get something established of a decent size. With all the shingle I'd also be thinking something Mediterranean (or seasidey) @TCE . It's going to need to take full sun if it's going into the middle of the gravelled area.

Maybe something like a cordyline for some height or a phormium? Some interesting colours out there to chose from:

If it were me I'd probably go for an agave (maybe a bit spiky for the dogs?) or some sort of palm, which would sit well surrounded by shingle.