Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

1232425262729»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 6
    Don’t use Jute lining on your planters if you have a bird friendly garden!!!!  Shredded inside two days!!  Little blighters  
  • Options
    Ideal to form a comfy nest.
  • Options
    My view this morning

and now! 

I live in a forestry area and sadly (in my view) a guy bought next door three months ago and had been felling trees in every direction. 

The machinery is as awesome as it is brutal. I bought the house a few years ago, as it had a lovely aspect surrounded by pine and birch forest on four sides, but came home at lunchtime today to see the last of about 40, 30 metre pines on one side of the house, coming down. It's quiet saddening to see a tree that took over 100 years to grow, cut down, stripped and neatly stacked in 3 pieces all in under a minute. 

I guess they are just crops. 

• Options
    My view this morning

and now! 

I live in a forestry area and sadly (in my view) a guy bought next door three months ago and had been felling trees in every direction. 

The machinery is as awesome as it is brutal. I bought the house a few years ago, as it had a lovely aspect surrounded by pine and birch forest on four sides, but came home at lunchtime today to see the last of about 40, 30 metre pines on one side of the house, coming down. It's quiet saddening to see a tree that took over 100 years to grow, cut down, stripped and neatly stacked in 3 pieces all in under a minute. 

I guess they are just crops. 

I wouldn't of thought it a good time of the year to fell so many trees from a wild life prospective. For the amount of money your neighbour is likely to get for his timber he might live to regret the damage he has inflicted on the environment.  
  • Options
    Would anybody be bale to advise me on how to deal with a lawn? It's not very big, the grass is very long and I think it was probably laid within the last year or two. When we tried to mow it a few weeks ago it was an absolute mess so we stopped straight away. I don't know how to tackle this! 

• Options
    Don’t use Jute lining on your planters if you have a bird friendly garden!!!!  Shredded inside two days!!  Little blighters  
    Are you sure it wasn't that fat Guinee Pig in the background (it looks pretty guilty)
    That Guinea pig has actually fooled a few people who’ve asked if it ever escapes or whether we worry about the big birds getting it. Seriously. 
  • Options
    edited May 7
    I'd strim about a 3rd of the length off, leave it to recover for a few days then mow on the highest setting and work your way down to the shortest every week or so. I believe you're not supposed to cut too much length off grass in one hit.

Sound advice. I’d only add grass is very resilient so as long as you don’t have your mower on the lowest setting you’d be unlikely to do much damage. 

A few days to recover / let the shorter grass get some sun and it soon comes back. 

I’m no expert but in my experience cutting grass regularly is the best thing to do more  generally and ongoing. 

I’d also spike it with a garden fork assuming it’s relatively wet. 
  • Options
    Thanks DaveMehmet and Nick. I will do exactly that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When we were living in France the local farmer offered to help cut down the grass in the garden, about 1/2 acre. He turned up couple of hours later with his flock of sheep, (don't worry we knew they were coming), and he and his dog ushered them into our garden.

We spent the evening watching them chomping their way through the grass, weeds, etc. We went to bed feeling smug at our ingenuity and listening to a few of the braver ones come right up to the back door snuffling around.

I get up in the morning and there's not a single one of the woolie feckers left in the garden. They'd found/created a gap in the fence and we found the entire flock down the road, eating their way through a neighbour's flowerbed.

Fortunately they were second homers so neither saw our pathetic, pointless attempts to herd them back into our garden nor who was responsible for the 1000's of poo pellets left behind after the farmer turned up and his dog effortlessly trotted them back up the road and into their field.

So I don't recommend borrowing a flock unless you have very good fences. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Would anybody be bale to advise me on how to deal with a lawn? It's not very big, the grass is very long and I think it was probably laid within the last year or two. When we tried to mow it a few weeks ago it was an absolute mess so we stopped straight away. I don't know how to tackle this! 

Get it as short as you can cut it. In stages if necessary and then scarify it and aerate it. Thin layer of topsoil and lawn sand and overseed it.
  • Options
    My grass is something I’m particularly pleased with this year. It won’t stay this way when we get hot weather but for now I’m well happy.