Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We are up for sale (Rumour)

Comments

• colin1961 said:

Hex said:

We have a one season shot at returning to the Championship before FFP kicks in hard so any owner would be wise to take advantage of that and do all that is possible to keep/build the best squad. A fire sale of players would give an immediate return but create a less competitive squad. Also, any takeover price will take into account the squad value and costs of turning it into a promotion chasing outfit so selling players to reduce the Staprix debt would make no sense.

But then I'm thinking logically and don't have RD's razor sharp brain.

Already kicking in next season in sub one where team can only spend 60% of income on wages .... Not sure if there is a period of grace for teams coming down ??
    There is an exclusion from the turnover (not income) of players with long contracts signed before September last.
  • Powell has proven himself at L1 level. One tiny proviso, is who did the scouting for those players? Some he would have known about through personal contact (Yann, Morro) but for the others he would have needed a lot of knowledge of L1 which is where most of the players came from.

Clearly a good scouting network is crucial, I imagine a lot of the work would have been done in the previous season, after Powell had just taken over.
  • I know, let's fight about who the new owners should appoint and go over the track record of a manager whose been gone for two years and whose record from four years ago we're debating (love man though he is)!

Or, let's just hope KM is reading emails from investors.
  • Thank God it might be someone else's fault finally, I'm still getting blamed for pushing the F5 button on the Takeover years ago.

Thank you all......

But, I will never be allowed to be abstained until @SoundAsa£ forgives me.
  • rikofold said:

colin1961 said:

TEL said:

Id certainly get Powelly back for next season....unite the fans, a Charlton man, previous knowledge on what it takes to get us out of League 1....but that's all fantasy like the 38 Million.

Would not unite fans , no to Powell you need someone who can take us up and be successful in the championship , already proved at two clubs that not Powell
    Chris Powell LITERALLY did that.
    Yes but he's no Bob Peeters is he...
    You can't have it all.
  • Southbank said:

There is nothing in RD's history which would suggest that he knows how to lift a club up to the level of the Championship from League One. He is much more likely to underestimate what is needed at every level, spending, wages, management experience.

When this shoe string approach fails he would most likely cut the club's cloth just to stay in league One and 'break even' to prove his brilliant business sense. Tiny crowds, tiny revenue, tiny wages= dropping further.

He has to be driven out by all legal means available.

To be fair he has/had no experience of British football which is why we were so lucky to have big dick murray as chairman or president or whatever. Having overseen our Premier years, our Championship years, our Div 1 years & again our Championship years at least he had the experience to ensure that we didn't underestimate the Championship.
  • If we end up in League two, Phil Parkinson has form there.
  • Hex said:

colin1961 said:

Hex said:

We have a one season shot at returning to the Championship before FFP kicks in hard so any owner would be wise to take advantage of that and do all that is possible to keep/build the best squad. A fire sale of players would give an immediate return but create a less competitive squad. Also, any takeover price will take into account the squad value and costs of turning it into a promotion chasing outfit so selling players to reduce the Staprix debt would make no sense.

But then I'm thinking logically and don't have RD's razor sharp brain.

Already kicking in next season in sub one where team can only spend 60% of income on wages .... Not sure if there is a period of grace for teams coming down ??
    There is an exclusion from the turnover (not income) of players with long contracts signed before September last.
    And you can put in as much equity as you choose, to raise the "cap". After all, the loan are "quasi-equity" anyway, according to David Joyes.
  • edited April 2016
    Sadly I don't think the club would be releasing that relegation statement or actively looking for a chief scout (which they appear to be) if they were intent on selling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

Sadly I don't think the club would be releasing that relegation statement or actively looking for a chief scout (which they appear to be) if they were intent on selling.

But then they can't really say, 'we want out' if they've got 38m to recoup. I think the terrible press/PR has seen to a tough start to negotiating this anyway. They need to show business as usual - or at least their version of it to inflate the price they can get back.

I'm pretty confident they won't be here long. But then I am about as far from ITK as it is possible to be.
  • Addickted said:

I understand the proposed computer system upgrade planned for the close season has also been shelved.

If you renewed I don't hold out much hope of your ticket arriving before the first home game then :smiley:
    Unless you're the lucky one to whom JJ will deliver by hand.
  • while it would be marvellous to get rid of RD and his SMT for a "better" owner it could completely muck up the club in the short term.
    It is only 3 months to the new season and it will be very difficult to conclude a deal in that period, in the meantime what does RD do whilkst he haggles, my guess is sell as many assets (that is players) as possible and not replace them sp we will begin next season in a very poor state and with the revised loan system not much chance of improving things if the sale is not completed before the window clo

I think I'd probably take all that Lancs if it means ousting Roly and co. I'm not sure it can get much worse - personally I'd take a couple of seasons in L1 if it means we become a Football Club again - rather than the laughable circus we are at the moment.

Think I would rather struggle with new owners than prosper under the current ones. It's gone beyond hate for me, and I'd actually feel quite resentful if the clowns somehow turned it around and and made us half decent.
    Cracking last paragraph.
    Exactly sums it up. So weird.
  • No idea if this has any substance, but a West Ham mate (one that doesn't bullshit!) just e-mailed me this;
    "I heard a rumour yesterday that John Humphries (the bookmaker) was trying to put a consortium together with Bernie Ecclestone of all people to buy the club. 25M was mentioned. I don’t know if that is a realistic figure but lets hope something happens soon."
  • The Charlton Grand Prix has a ring to it.
  • Well Bernie is probably fairly local. His F1 Management company are based a Biggin Hill, so can't imagine he lives that far away (or at least has a house somewhere nearby, probably lives somewhere like Monaco for the lower tax rates)
  • What was his tenure at QPR like ?
  • edited April 2016
    Good

• No idea if this has any substance, but a West Ham mate (one that doesn't bullshit!) just e-mailed me this;
    "I heard a rumour yesterday that John Humphries (the bookmaker) was trying to put a consortium together with Bernie Ecclestone of all people to buy the club. 25M was mentioned. I don’t know if that is a realistic figure but lets hope something happens soon."

Barmy Bernie? Out of the frying pan...

Surely it must be John Humphrey, as former players leading consortiums seem to be all the rage :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

Barmy Bernie? Out of the frying pan...

Surely it must be John Humphrey, as former players leading consortiums seem to be all the rage :smile:
    Roland only been at the ground 2 hours and he's already pissed Bernie off image
  • Could he be there to interview Lennie ?
  • Well Bernie is probably fairly local. His F1 Management company are based a Biggin Hill, so can't imagine he lives that far away (or at least has a house somewhere nearby, probably lives somewhere like Monaco for the lower tax rates)

Penthouse in Knightsbridge, above F1's London offices
  • Ecclestone would be same level/worse than Roland. He is stingey as hell with money.

Actually doing a very good job at Bradford and could pass us on the way up next month.

Actually doing a very good job at Bradford and could pass us on the way up next month.
    At the expense of "The Scum" hopefully!

• Ecclestone is overdue popping his clogs as well, but if he signs it all across to Tamara I wouldn't complain, she'd be a great (pair of) asset(s) to have around
  • They're now off to central London. Meeting with potential buyers?