Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We are up for sale (Rumour)

Comments

• Options
    I ve had a feeling for ages that Richard Murray might be involved in getting a consortium together. Explains his stance over the last year in trying to remain on the inside and not speak out and explains his reluctance for the club to speak with Peter Varney.

I suppose in reality it will come down to who his bedfellows are.
  • Options

I ve had a feeling for ages that Richard Murray might be involved in getting a consortium together. Explains his stance over the last year in trying to remain on the inside and not speak out and explains his reluctance for the club to speak with Peter Varney.

I had a nightmare thought this morning.

Knowing our luck, and looking at the history at SL, I got the terrible feeling that we'll end up with a consortium fronted by Elliott, R Murray as chairman, and the moneyman being Roland, at one remove...
  • Options

I had a nightmare thought this morning.

Knowing our luck, and looking at the history at SL, I got the terrible feeling that we'll end up with a consortium fronted by Elliott, R Murray as chairman, and the moneyman being Roland, at one remove...
    You're not alone in having that nightmare !
  • Options

seems then that RM has been laying low so as to position himself as Chairman for a new consortium, maybe Elliott's but I'm sure Elliott himself will want a role and was set for Chairman under Jiminez so why would he give that up? I wouldn't be happy with Murray remaining, he's lost ALL credibility. I just hope that Varney can bypass Murray and get to RD directly, put in the best offer and then we can be rid of all the rotten apples, Murray included.

Elliott wants to be director of football, I understand.
  • Options

seems then that RM has been laying low so as to position himself as Chairman for a new consortium, maybe Elliott's but I'm sure Elliott himself will want a role and was set for Chairman under Jiminez so why would he give that up? I wouldn't be happy with Murray remaining, he's lost ALL credibility. I just hope that Varney can bypass Murray and get to RD directly, put in the best offer and then we can be rid of all the rotten apples, Murray included.

Is this a role you think he would perform decently in?
  • Options

Is this a role you think he would perform decently in?
    You could only make that judgement based on his experience, I guess. I don't know him.
  • Options

Curbs with Powelly as his assistant please. The dream team!

If the new owners want to be loved by the fans then that would be the way to do it...and jobs for Lennie and Mark Kinsella as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016

From Twitter

Interesting. I'm aware of the work he's done with the FA and anti discrimination bodies, but what exactly has Paul Elliott been doing for the last 20 years? He earned good money as a player, but nowhere near the levels of modern players, does he have business interests as well?

(Yes I know he's just fronting the consortium, but the public roles he's had don't seem like the positions to maintain his lifestyle what has his main income from the last 20 years come from)

Edited
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    my feeling is this may happen---i have no inside knowledge at ALL----its a feeling although it could be the piles.

* The Puppet gets moved by RD to somewhere else(who fecking cares where)
    * Elliot comes in as the new CEO
    * RD sells some of his stake (45%)
    WE have new "owners"
    * LennyL comes in as "football director"
    * we get a Brit manager
    * we sign8/9 known brit players re the above 2

RDs ego is saved he hasnt run away with his tail between his legs and unfortunately means he could well have another go at his Pan Euro model in the future.He can "sell" the above as listens to the fans when in fact its just a bigger smoke screen

As for the tour of Austria well makes a change from Austria touring Belgium
  • Options
    What's his lifestyle then ?
  • Options

What's his lifestyle then ?

Perhaps the wrong word, what I was getting at was wondering what Paul Elliott's main income for the last 20 years been?
  • Options
    Has been working for the FA
  • Options
    If Murray stays in any capacity, CARD has to continue.
  • Options
    I'm clinging on to the delusional hope that they've agreed to formally open discussions with one or more of the interested parties and are going to announce this fact at some point before 2.15 tomorrow in an attempt to pour cold water on the protests.

Wibble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

There are some criteria I would want (as I'm sure we all would) in any new owner(s).

Essential
    - They leave the footballing decisions to people who know
    - They have sufficient financial clout to cover losses and necessary investment to at least get us out of League 1 and consolidate in the Championship
    - They understand and accept that our history is important to all of us
    - When they communicate to fans they are telling the truth

Desirable
    - They are Charlton fans

Now if all the essentials are ticked (and the desirable!) I don't care who it is - Reg, Elliot, Humphreys, Steve Davis (has time on his hands now), even Jim Davidson. As long as we get our club back.

So they're basically an ATM? Obviously few are like Roland, but I think it's a bit of a pipe dream for new owner(s) to come in and say, "alright, here's £20, £30m whatever for the club, and another £10m to cover operating costs for the next 1-2 years."

One of the most important things in being in a leadership position in business is understanding how and where to hire the right people for the right market to get things done. But as investors, chances are they're going to want to have strict oversight on how their investment is spent.

I fear that there is a lot of hope that some sort of fairy godmother type solution will come along, wipe out our debts, cover us running at a loss, hire the best British-based staff, coaches, and players (all of whom will come at a premium) and not question their decisions, and we'll all live happily ever after.
  • Options
    Paul Elliott has made money from property deals, also ran a academy back in the day which spotted talent and got them into clubs, Chris Eagles was one player who made it through his academy.
  • Options

If Murray stays in any capacity, CARD has to continue.

But would need to change name to CARM??
    Or CARAM-O if you wanted to use his full name.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

bobmunro said:

There are some criteria I would want (as I'm sure we all would) in any new owner(s).

Essential
    - They have sufficient financial clout to cover losses and necessary investment to at least get us out of League 1 and consolidate in the Championship

Desirable
    - They are Charlton fans

Now if all the essentials are ticked (and the desirable!) I don't care who it is - Reg, Elliot, Humphreys, Steve Davis (has time on his hands now), even Jim Davidson. As long as we get our club back.

So they're basically an ATM? Obviously few are like Roland, but I think it's a bit of a pipe dream for new owner(s) to come in and say, "alright, here's £20, £30m whatever for the club, and another £10m to cover operating costs for the next 1-2 years."

One of the most important things in being in a leadership position in business is understanding how and where to hire the right people for the right market to get things done. But as investors, chances are they're going to want to have strict oversight on how their investment is spent.

I fear that there is a lot of hope that some sort of fairy godmother type solution will come along, wipe out our debts, cover us running at a loss, hire the best British-based staff, coaches, and players (all of whom will come at a premium) and not question their decisions, and we'll all live happily ever after.
    I walk into a BMW dealer and say 'That's a nice 5 series - I'll give you £2k and you pay for my petrol for the next 5 years'. Do you reckon I'll get a deal?

It's a given that the buyer would need a) the purchase price and b) the resources to cover the inevitable operating losses in the short-medium term. If they don't meet a) then no sale and if they meet a) but can't meet b) then administration beckons. I'm not a wide-eyed optimist who expects a fairy godmother to appear - I've been in business myself for longer than I care to remember to be that naive.

Of course I would expect owners to have strict financial oversight - that would be their duty as directors. They make available 'x' but the manager is paid to make the right purchase decisions within that given budget as opposed to having tin-pot players forced on him.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

SDAddick said:

bobmunro said:

Essential

Desirable
    - They are Charlton fans

I walk into a BMW dealer and say 'That's a nice 5 series - I'll give you £2k and you pay for my petrol for the next 5 years'. Do you reckon I'll get a deal?

It's a given that the buyer would need a) the purchase price and b) the resources to cover the inevitable operating losses in the short-medium term. If they don't meet a) then no sale and if they meet a) but can't meet b) then administration beckons. I'm not a wide-eyed optimist who expects a fairy godmother to appear - I've been in business myself for longer than I care to remember to be that naive.

Of course I would expect owners to have strict financial oversight - that would be their duty as directors. They make available 'x' but the manager is paid to make the right purchase decisions within that given budget as opposed to having tin-pot players forced on him.
    Understood, and well put, and I'm sorry for singling you out as being naive, I meant it more as an increasingly overarching theme I'm seeing here.

My "concerns," or reservations (and I openly admit to being paranoid) are twofold, and I should stress that these are symptoms of how poorly regulated and mismanaged the English game is as a whole, and are in no way limited to CAFC:
    1) Wiping the debts--obviously a new owner will need to buy out Roland and related company(s), but I would expect at least some of that to be done as debt against the club, as Roland did.

2) At what price does this influx of money come? This is something where we won't know for probably quite sometime even after a potential takeover. Because of the rise in money in the Premier League (which will lead to a further rise in cost through salaries, transfer fees, etc.), I only see it getting harder to run clubs in the lower division on an even keel. I fear this will only get worse as we see more and more foreign owners buy up clubs in the lower leagues (QPR, Bournemouth, Fulham, Forest, etc.) in an attempt to get into the Premier League. I would venture this will also drive up costs as the median salary for players continues to rise.

With all that, there doesn't seem to be any sort of revolutionary revenue stream coming in to the FL like there is with the Premiership--where it should be noted clubs have been running at losses for years/decades and that might be wiped out by the new TV money. But as lower league/smaller clubs attempt to keep pace, the cost of simply treading water is going to go up.

I know I'm all doom and gloom on this subject--and I openly admit to being paranoid. The first, and most important thing is to get Roland out, as he seems to have the uncanny ability to make the club less and less desirable with each passing week. But beyond that, we really need to hope for owners who are willing to deficit spend for potentially 5-10 years (eons in football) in order to get this club stabilized. People with that combination of money and patience are rare.
  • Options

From Twitter

Interesting. I'm aware of the work he's done with the FA and anti discrimination bodies, but what exactly has Paul Elliott been doing for the last 20 years? He earned good money as a player, but nowhere near the levels of modern players, does he have business interests as well?

(Yes I know he's just fronting the consortium, but the public roles he's had don't seem like the positions to maintain his lifestyle what has his main income from the last 20 years come from)

Edited
    Property investment. He's done pretty well too

• Options
    Thanks, I was wondering about Elliott's business background
  • Options
    Is Elliot still smiling ?