Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deptford - Don' t you just love it!

Comments

• Options
    Marathon organisers this morning issued a statement saying " They were disappointed with the actions of some people" don't sound like they gave it away to me.
  • Options
    It's like a supermarket sweep or whatever - grabbing it manically is half the fun. You think they'd be doing this if they hadn't gotten carte blanche? It's exciting to grab and make off with free shit. They're souvenirs as much as anything!
  • Options

what is more galling, in my opinion, is Elite athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia, Eritea etc taking a couple of sips from a bottle and then throwing it away. Meanwhile their countrymen are desperate for water and dying through the lack of it. It's criminal.

What would you have them do?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Why does flag posting not work in this thread?

Although given this, I can probably say it now: you're all fucking cunts - racist cunts at that.

Last year, my gf and I made off with three six-packs of mini Buxton bottles at the Maryon Park water station. This was after pretty much everyone had gone and the station was being dismantled. We were told that the water was all going in the bin if we didn't grab it - probably not to be recycled either.

Look at the video. The Marathon is over. Everyone except the odd straggler has gone past. The station is unmanned. The road is filled with discarded bottles.

You're all fucking awful cunts. Fuck you.

Oh dear, rolling out the "racist" argument when fighting a losing battle. And such language too.. We seriously are going for it big time!

The station IS NOT unmanned, they are standing watching, and the original man who takes the footage is one of them and says straight to the camera that he can not stop them.

• Options
    cafckev said:

Leuth said:

Although given this, I can probably say it now: you're all fucking cunts - racist cunts at that.

Last year, my gf and I made off with three six-packs of mini Buxton bottles at the Maryon Park water station. This was after pretty much everyone had gone and the station was being dismantled. We were told that the water was all going in the bin if we didn't grab it - probably not to be recycled either.

Look at the video. The Marathon is over. Everyone except the odd straggler has gone past. The station is unmanned. The road is filled with discarded bottles.

Oh dear, rolling out the "racist" argument when fighting a losing battle. And such language too.. We seriously are going for it big time!

The station IS NOT unmanned, they are standing watching, and the original man who takes the footage is one of them and says straight to the camera that he can not stop them.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the whole story right there
  • Options
    Let's face it, no one here knows what exactly happened, the Mail certainly can't be trusted to report fairly and the photos have clearly been chosen to back a certain angle.

My only question is Why? What's the point in taking hundreds of bottles of water?

Also can't these watering stations just be some taps, paper cups, and volunteers to keep filling them? This is the 21st century, why help create even more waste and litter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

My only question is Why? What's the point in taking hundreds of bottles of water?

Bottled water is expensive, I suspect that lot was wheeled off to a local corner shop or two and sold on for a bit of cash in hand.
  • Options
    Be fair to these charming people, they probably
    need the water to pop their drugs with!
  • Options
    why can't i flaaaaggggggg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Curb_It said:

Making claims calling us all racist c's is an absolute fucking outrage. Who the hell do you think you are?

Oh, I'm an anti-racist chump, obv :)
  • Options
    The flag works for me
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Leuth said:

It's like a supermarket sweep or whatever - grabbing it manically is half the fun. You think they'd be doing this if they hadn't gotten carte blanche? It's exciting to grab and make off with free shit. They're souvenirs as much as anything!

Grabbing it is hardly stacking up 6 boxes as displayed in the photos. For what it's worth, if you opened your eyes and saw beyond your peculiar rage, you'd see that there are people here saying that did exactly the same thing when they were growing up and that the organisers probably allowed it.
    Leuth said:

i'm going on a different browser and THEN you'll all be sorry

You're a rather sad chap, aren't you? All that effort to click a button and take-away some imaginary internet points? Stop the morning drinking mate.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Leuth said:

i'm going on a different browser and THEN you'll all be sorry

well done Shirty, you'll get him going on homophobia now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent

*My flag button works @Leuth me old china
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Let's face it, no one here knows what exactly happened, the Mail certainly can't be trusted to report fairly and the photos have clearly been chosen to back a certain angle.

Also can't these watering stations just be some taps, paper cups, and volunteers to keep filling them? This is the 21st century, why help create even more waste and litter?

Fiiish said:

Have you seen the size of the marathon field?

The Mail made this the lead story on their website last night - how pathetic is that? We have massive tax evasion, refugee crisis, NHS falling apart but somehow the Mail thinks it necessary to put a story about a few bottles of unused water as its lead.
    Shows the power of the press to stir things up.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Fiiish said:

To be entirely fair to the Daily Mail - shocking I know - the Event Director for London Marathon Events Ltd hasn't exactly helped calm things:
    “It’s very disappointing to see water being stolen in this way from the official water stations for our runners.

“These water stations are staffed by volunteers and we are very grateful to them for their work on Race Day.

“We always brief our volunteers not to get into altercations if this kind of thing happens. We’ll investigate this further.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/people-caught-on-video-stealing-bottled-water-meant-for-london-marathon-runners-a6999026.html

As for the point of taking the water? Not a clue.

I think the Brighton marathon had refilling stations along the route last week - with runners carrying their own bottles. Obviously that isn't as good for the likes of Buxton who have paid for sponsorship rights though. Sponsorship money above the environment clearly.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

what is more galling, in my opinion, is Elite athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia, Eritea etc taking a couple of sips from a bottle and then throwing it away. Meanwhile their countrymen are desperate for water and dying through the lack of it. It's criminal.

What would you have them do?
    Put the lid back on and sip it while they're jogging round, it ain't rocket science
  • Options
    Just to confirm I wasn't hearing things on the news this morning........

*Hugh Brasher, event director for London Marathon Events, said: "It's very disappointing to see water being stolen in this way from the official water stations for our runners.

"These water stations are staffed by volunteers and we are very grateful to them for their work on Race Day.*
  • Options
    Leuth said:

HAHAHA.

HA.

Lol.

Oh Leuth, you've outdone yourself.

Hahahahaha.
  • Options
    ...on the original video that I see (with sound), the video was taken by what looked like one of the volunteers and it didn't seem like they had permission to dive in and help themselves by how how was talking
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Fiiish said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/people-caught-on-video-stealing-bottled-water-meant-for-london-marathon-runners-a6999026.html

To be entirely fair to the Daily Mail - shocking I know - the Event Director for London Marathon Events Ltd hasn't exactly helped calm things:
    “It’s very disappointing to see water being stolen in this way from the official water stations for our runners.

“These water stations are staffed by volunteers and we are very grateful to them for their work on Race Day.

“We always brief our volunteers not to get into altercations if this kind of thing happens. We’ll investigate this further.”
    With all the things going on in the world why has this received such attention? The agenda is pretty obvious.

The event director has hardly looked into it - a brief glance at the photos and the time show nearly the entire field is through. The water is not going to be used.

Read the comments page of the Daily Mail and see all the lovely bigotry on show.

Funny old world?

• Options
    Woohoo. My first ever flag!

I'm on my mobile so can't see who it was from.....but I'm hoping it was from Leuth as it should help to give him some closure.