Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ebbsfleet V Maidstone for a place in the conference

Comments

• Options
    BDL no axe to grind with Ebbsfleet, but as Maidstone are doing it the hard way and right way and delighted for them, got a lot of memories as a kid going and watching them when Dickie Guy played in goal as his brother lived next door and went all the FA Cup games (apart from when we beat them in the replay).Always had fantastic support.
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet shouldn't have found themselves in the playoffs today, massive bottle job to not win the league, too many draws against average teams.

For a team with the budget they have, to only play well for the last 15 minutes of normal time is poor, playing 4-5-1 at home in a final is inexcusable, and Ebbsfleet only have themselves to blame.

Delighted for the Stones, be a real test in the National for them, is the Gallagher being extended now?
  • Options
    What'll be interesting is if Maidstone win the National League as they're not allowed into League Two with their pitch
  • Options

What'll be interesting is if Maidstone win the National League as they're not allowed into League Two with their pitch

Likely to change in the next 18 months, loads of pressure being put on by League 2 clubs to be allowed to install them
  • Options
    Never forgive Maidstone for the what they did to Dartford although realise it wasn't their supporters. Don't like Ebbsfleet, not only because of rivalry with Dartford but basically because of the money they have. Relatively more than Chelsea and Man C together playing against teams of Charlton budgets
  • Options

cfgs said:

Maidstone are my local team and I used to watch them a fair bit, strange to think we could be playing them next year.

This - Maidstone were effectively bust and playing Sunday league level when I started going to football (mid 90's) hence I was taken to Charlton by by Dad (Gillingham was never an option). But I've always followed them home and away even at those levels a few times a season and have a lot of passion for them and the support. Remember taking nearly 1,000 down to places like Folkesrone and Dover in the 8th and 9th tier.

With the state of Charlton atm I'll prob spend my season split between Charlton and Maidstone away games next year.
    Saw Maidstone play at Gosport in September.

Incredible support, they must have had 200-250.
  • Options

cfgs said:

Maidstone are my local team and I used to watch them a fair bit, strange to think we could be playing them next year.

With the state of Charlton atm I'll prob spend my season split between Charlton and Maidstone away games next year.
    At the moment, that looks like exactly what my Son and I will be doing.

• Options
    Football was the winner. Fair play to Maidstone.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Still have no idea where the ref got 2 added mins from at the end of extra time, Stones scored 30 secs from end to take it to pens.

Don't get the hate from some quarters for Ebbsfleet, genuinely pleased for Maidstone though given what they have been through.

Cos theirr idiots mate.
  • Options

Didn't even realise Maidstone had gone up last year let alone done well this year. Very happy that Ebbsfleet haven't gone up though, disgrace of a club.

Why
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA1 said:

The sooner that fella flattens Stonebridge Road for the paramount theme park and webbedfeet die the better.

This is the type of idiot i am referring too. Now i know who palace refer too when they call us cclowns.
  • Options
    redman said:

Never forgive Maidstone for the what they did to Dartford although realise it wasn't their supporters. Don't like Ebbsfleet, not only because of rivalry with Dartford but basically because of the money they have. Relatively more than Chelsea and Man C together playing against teams of Charlton budgets

Do you know the size of their budget and what a ridiculous statement to make regarding Chelsea and man city.

Well done maidstone you held your bottle when fleet lost theirs.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Still have no idea where the ref got 2 added mins from at the end of extra time, Stones scored 30 secs from end to take it to pens.

Don't get the hate from some quarters for Ebbsfleet, genuinely pleased for Maidstone though given what they have been through.

My nephew was playing for The Stones a couple of years back and they were in a very difficult place at the time. Good to see they've finally come good.

• Options

Football was the winner. Fair play to Maidstone.

Now I know what name Jimmy Bullard logs on under!! :smile:
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Ebbsfleet shouldn't have found themselves in the playoffs today, massive bottle job to not win the league, too many draws against average teams.

For a team with the budget they have, to only play well for the last 15 minutes of normal time is poor, playing 4-5-1 at home in a final is inexcusable, and Ebbsfleet only have themselves to blame.

Delighted for the Stones, be a real test in the National for them, is the Gallagher being extended now?

Yes a new 2k terrace is to be built.

North of the border @Miserableoldgit 's team East Sterlingshire lost to Edinburgh City, the 2 clubs swap league status'.
  • Options

Rothko said:

North of the border @Miserableoldgit 's team East Sterlingshire lost to Edinburgh City, the 2 clubs swap league status'.
    It's about time - apologies MOG, but east sterling should have been relegated years ago!
  • Options
    As someone who is not in the know regarding the history of Maidstone, Dartford and Ebbsfleet I'd like to know the following:

Why do so many people hate Ebbsfleet?

What did Maidstone do to Dartford that is unforgivable?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Rothko said:

It's about time - apologies MOG, but east sterling should have been relegated years ago!
    They couldn't get relegated a couple of years ago! Strangely quite a few of the Lowland and Highland league teams have no intention of joining the league.
  • Options
    North Ferriby United is my village team (pop 3900) and I was there yesterday to watch them get promotion to the Conference Premier. Wonderful effort from all involved. Quite unbelievable really and restored my faith in the wonder of what is football.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

As someone who is not in the know regarding the history of Maidstone, Dartford and Ebbsfleet I'd like to know the following:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/06/24/nl_watling_feature.shtml

Maidstone ground shared at Dartford's old ground, went broke and took Dartford down with them, with the result that Dartford sold their ground and both clubs fell down the ladder.

I don't know if the council could have done more to keep Dartford and the Watling Street ground alive
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

redman said:

Do you know the size of their budget and what a ridiculous statement to make regarding Chelsea and man city.

Well done maidstone you held your bottle when fleet lost theirs.
    Don't understand what relatively means then no?
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/06/24/nl_watling_feature.shtml

Maidstone ground shared at Dartford's old ground, went broke and took Dartford down with them, with the result that Dartford sold their ground and both clubs fell down the ladder.

I don't know if the council could have done more to keep Dartford and the Watling Street ground alive

ChiAddick said:

I don't think anyone 'hates' Ebbsfleet. They have a long running rivalry with Dartford and there are a few Dartford people on here, but wouldn't take any words seriously.

Personally, as a Charlton fan i see that they are increasingly building a mini-Charlton down there and think they are a serious long-term threat to taking away a chunk of our current dissatisfied / future support. There is a large number of ex-CAFC staff, directors, sponsors, contacts now involved down there and I see that increasing further over the next 12 months.

With their resources and potential, they should have secured two promotions by now and be in League 2, the fact they still can't get out the Conf South i think has been a major underachievement, and be I'm not too unhappy about. It's nothing personal against Ebbsfleet or the people involved, I just don't think them doing well will be good for Charlton.
    Thanks for your answers.
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

I don't think anyone 'hates' Ebbsfleet. They have a long running rivalry with Dartford and there are a few Dartford people on here, but wouldn't take any words seriously.

Personally, as a Charlton fan i see that they are increasingly building a mini-Charlton down there and think they are a serious long-term threat to taking away a chunk of our current dissatisfied / future support. There is a large number of ex-CAFC staff, directors, sponsors, contacts now involved down there and I see that increasing further over the next 12 months.

With their resources and potential, they should have secured two promotions by now and be in League 2, the fact they still can't get out the Conf South i think has been a major underachievement, and be I'm not too unhappy about. It's nothing personal against Ebbsfleet or the people involved, I just don't think them doing well will be good for Charlton.
    I think there's a limit to how much support "leeches" down there. Ebsfleet is a long way from Charlton, and has a very different "feel". Clubs have a natural level, and while they can rise up through the divisions, they eventually sink back down to their natural level. Crawley were the big thing a few years ago, and now are a struggling L2 team. Luton by contrast were artificially low, but will start rising once their new ground is built.

Besides, many of us will have a "rival" second team, such as Welling or Dartford! Or Maidstone, Tonbridge etc
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet is a long way from Charlton, but very few Charlton fans live near Charlton and they are increasingly living nearer to Ebbsfleet
  • Options

Ebbsfleet is a long way from Charlton, but very few Charlton fans live near Charlton and they are increasingly living nearer to Ebbsfleet

I'm about 1 mile away, have no affinity with either them or dartford, south London born & bred
  • Options
    I've always thought of non-league football to have a bit of an 'unspoken etiquette' on how you run your club down there. You look at Dartford, Bromley, Welling etc. slowly developing, getting up to the conference (national league) in a fairly natural way. Then you get your Ebbsfleet pricing out teams a division or 2 above them with their ludicrous wages. It ruins the attraction to non-league football for me at least. I remember in welling's promotion season almost every player in the pub after the game, there was just a sense of community at the club even including the players. I think this is the case at quite a few non league teams, but it's not possible when you get in a load of money hungry mercenaries in who couldn't care less who their playing for. Yes those days have now gone at welling and very few of the squad if any remain. Ebbsfleet poached and quickly threw away Jamie Day and JT and ruined what they'd built at welling for the 3 years before. Now that welling have gone down and I'll be going to a lot less Charlton games and with Goldburg in I'm hoping they can get rid of the current lot of wasters and recreate the team spirit they had before, and that Ebbsfleet will never have no matter how much money they spend.
  • Options
    Quite amazing that Ebbsfleet have failed again to get out of that division
  • Options
    All local non league teams are potentially, to paranoid me , a small threat to our fanbase and being a miserable git I want them all to stay pony so as not to affect my club