Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Sri Lanka & Pakistan

Comments

• Options
    Jake Ball must have impressed for the Lions too.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Got Sunday tickets for both tests.

Same here

A bit of pressure on both Hales and Compton, I imagine every England qualified opener will be fancying their chances of a call up

• Options
    edited May 2016

Pedro45 said:

Same here

A bit of pressure on both Hales and Compton, I imagine every England qualified opener will be fancying their chances of a call up

And that's the 'problem' , - they're only playing Sri Lanka and Pakistan - so likely to score tons of runs. However, in saying that didn't we lose to Sl the last time they were here ? (seem to remember Jimmy holding out til the last over) - if that's the case then we should recapture some points for the Test League.
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Same here

And that's the 'problem' , - they're only playing Sri Lanka and Pakistan - so likely to score tons of runs. However, in saying that didn't we lose to Sl the last time they were here ? (seem to remember Jimmy holding out til the last over) - if that's the case then we should recapture some points for the Test League.
    Yes we lost to Sri Lanka at home and Pakistan away. Two series wins will go down nicely, so I hope they don't experiment too much
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Same here

Sri Lanka are nowhere near the team they once were though, nearly all of their big names have now retired. This scorecard for their match against Essex doesn't suggest they're that good...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO39243

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Cook needs 36 runs for 10,000 test runs - would be the youngest ever, beating Tendulkar by 6 months (though in more Tests I'm sure!).
  • Options
    Jake Ball omitted.
  • Options
    Brian Lara, Kumar Sangakkara, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardene, Sunil Gavaskar, Jacques Kallis, Allan Border, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Steve Waugh are the other batsmen to reach the milestone.

"It will be a nice moment and you get to join an elite band of Test cricketers," Cook told BBC Test Match Special. "Those guys are far better batters than me.
    Typical Cook modesty. Looking at that list (plus Tendulkar), none of them were openers, facing the new ball, which is much harder than striding out at 82/2 after 25 overs
  • Options

Brian Lara, Kumar Sangakkara, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardene, Sunil Gavaskar, Jacques Kallis, Allan Border, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Steve Waugh are the other batsmen to reach the milestone.

"It will be a nice moment and you get to join an elite band of Test cricketers," Cook told BBC Test Match Special. "Those guys are far better batters than me.
    Typical Cook modesty. Looking at that list (plus Tendulkar), none of them were openers, facing the new ball, which is much harder than striding out at 82/2 after 25 overs

Agree, and playing in England on green tops.
  • Options
    England? Green tops? Not since Cook started off, really
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously a great player though
  • Options
    Leuth said:

England? Green tops? Not since Cook started off, really

Okay, fair enough, bowler friendly conditions then..
  • Options

I'm trying to decide who is the best batsman on that list. My favourite is Brian Lara.
  • Options
    The greatest sporting arena in the world. Yet everyone seems to insist on spelling it wrong.

It's Lord's.
  • Options
    Thomas Lord's Cricket Ground III.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    McBobbin said:

I'm trying to decide who is the best batsman on that list. My favourite is Brian Lara.

Lara is my favourite by a mile - I was lucky enough to see him live a few times when I was a kid and my Grandpa took me up to Edgbaston to watch Warwickshire, loved it.
  • Options
    That Lara back lift, classy classy player.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Lara is my favourite by a mile - I was lucky enough to see him live a few times when I was a kid and my Grandpa took me up to Edgbaston to watch Warwickshire, loved it.

Second best batsmen of my lifetime, after the truly great Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards.
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Same here

Sri Lanka are nowhere near the team they once were though, nearly all of their big names have now retired. This scorecard for their match against Essex doesn't suggest they're that good...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO39243

Jayasuriya, Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Muralitharan just to name a few big names.

And other shorter names such as Vaas and Dilshan
  • Options
    On a more serious note if we beat both Sri Lanka and Pakistan then we'll be holding all the Test trophies available to England so surely this ought to put us at the top of the world rankings?

Might even be worth a punt at the bookies of whitewashing them both - weather permitting of course!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

On a more serious note if we beat both Sri Lanka and Pakistan then we'll be holding all the Test trophies available to England so surely this ought to put us at the top of the world rankings?

Might even be worth a punt at the bookies of whitewashing them both - weather permitting of course!

Not sure how the points system works, but I heard on the radio that if we beat these two we will get points "back" so that would make sense
  • Options
    I'll be at Headingley on Friday. Can't wait. Weather up here has been atrocious all day though so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Be honest, ever since the world rankings have been introduced have you ever been that bothered about them?
    Unfortunately due to T20, Test cricket for the likes of Sri Lanka, Pakistan, NZ and even India will become less and less a priority over the next few years.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Be honest, ever since the world rankings have been introduced have you ever been that bothered about them?
    Unfortunately due to T20, Test cricket for the likes of Sri Lanka, Pakistan, NZ and even India will become less and less a priority over the next few years.

It's a real shame and I think we've seen it effect India already.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Agree generally Riv, however, not with NZ - they will always have Test cricket high on their agenda.
  • Options

Interesting, mght be worthwhile going for whitewash of both, but also winning both series.
  • Options
    Pakistan I think will be harder opponents, they gave England a good test last winter, and Sri Lanka have drawn the short straw in terms of time of year and locations.

"Test matches in May and early June, when it's cold and windy, let's send them to Leeds and Durham, ha ha ha"
  • Options
    Riviera said:

When did WI stop caring about tests? Can't fault their t20 skills. But they used to be awesome in tests
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Riviera said:

When did WI stop caring about tests? Can't fault their t20 skills. But they used to be awesome in tests
    As usual...money.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Riviera said:

As usual...money.
    When not why.... why is self evident... though maybe competition for players is involved. Lots of skilled sportsman choosing sports like basketball. Cricket had already long been drawing talent from a limited pool in England.