Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Sri Lanka & Pakistan

Comments

• Options
    236-6 12 needed off 3 overs
  • Options
    England win - comprehensively in the end. Good workout for Englnad who were in a bit of trouble at 77-4, but won quite comfortably in the end with 2 overs to spare.
  • Options
    'The widest wide ever seen' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37252713

Now, if it wasnt Pakistan..........
  • Options
    Final ODI today in Cardiff - England give a debut to Liam Dawson - another bowler who can bat.
    10.30 start.
    Pak win toss and will bowl first.
  • Options

Final ODI today in Cardiff - England give a debut to Liam Dawson - another bowler who can bat.
    10.30 start.
    Pak win toss and will bowl first.

A bit tough on Dawson playing on a green seamer after Moeen and Rashid had fun on the Headingley turner!
  • Options
    Eng 54-1 8 overs

Hales was out caught.
  • Options
    Some interesting things coming out of South African cricket.... only five white players allowed to play in any team on average over a season, i wonder if this could result in many more KP type situations over here - i think almost certainly it will - if you are on the fringe of getting into the SA national team or any other team in SA, then it will be incredibly hard and if you have British or Dutch or German heritage, then it would be better for you to come play your cricket in ENgland - then again, with Brexit, would that mean only British heritage?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/1053999.html
  • Options
    Eng 64-2 off 9.3 - Hales and Root out.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hales c Malik b Amir 23
    Root b Hassan 9
  • Options
    69-2 off 10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan c & b Imad 10

92-3
  • Options

Some interesting things coming out of South African cricket.... only five white players allowed to play in any team on average over a season, i wonder if this could result in many more KP type situations over here - i think almost certainly it will - if you are on the fringe of getting into the SA national team or any other team in SA, then it will be incredibly hard and if you have British or Dutch or German heritage, then it would be better for you to come play your cricket in ENgland - then again, with Brexit, would that mean only British heritage?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/1053999.html

It does seem extreme, and I really do fear the (continuing) influx of South African whites to English cricket, but when measured against the scale of historical wrongs that are being belatedly (if clumsily) righted, it doesn't seem so bad. Maybe some of these white players would be better off trying to get into the Test side on merit - there's still a place for them! De Villiers and Steyn can't go on forever. Besides, there may not be a need for a quota system in a few years, when the fault-lines of colonialism and apartheid have smoothed down a little.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Personally, i dont think that two wrongs make a right - but in the sporting arena, everything should be achieved on merit.I'd be pretty pissed off if i was the 6th best SA player, only not to play because an inferior player plays simply because of his colour.
  • Options
    That argument is predicated on the 6 best players all being white, which isn't, to be fair, quite the case. SA has a lot of issues of privilege - a lot of the white players who make it to the highest level have received the best coaching throughout their childhood - something often denied young black players. This quota system is an attempt to change the culture from the ground up. It is clumsy, agreed, but it's got its heart in the right place.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    But this is the problem with most meritocratic arguments - they cannot acknowledge where the merit comes from, or they fall apart.
  • Options
    As it is calculated on an average basis, there is a real likelihood of some non white players just being brought it for the less essential games

S Africa come on tour to England - normal team
    A couple of ODIs in Ireland - fill it with non white players
    Dead rubber in 5 match ODI series against Australia - fill it with non white players etc
  • Options
    Roy gone for 87
  • Options
    Of the current squad playing against NZ, of the 15, 8 are white...Van Zyl,Abbott,Morris,Steyn,Du Plessis,De Kock,Cook,ELgar...so, the likes of ABDV,Morkel,Miller i assume are either injured or rested. The remaining 7 are Amla,Bavuma,Duminy,Parnell,Philander,Piedt and Rabada.

I would expect, given a fully fit side, this would likely be the lineup on merit....
    Edgar,Amla,ABDV,Du Plessis,Duminy,De Kock,Philander,Morris,Morkel,Steyn,Piedt - so, 7 whites, 4 non-whites.
  • Options
    Morris ahead of Rabada? You're on drugs.
  • Options
    Bavuma's also been batting a lot better than Duminy over the last year, but that's a non-white for a non-white.

If the quota was set at 5, it'd make more sense, sure, given the current personnel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Getting back to this game...Roy out for 87 ...170-4off 29.3

Just know that Ben Stokes is gonna get out to an injudicious shot soon
  • Options
    Roy, you mean. All these quotas have confused you ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Morris ahead of Rabada? You're on drugs.

Ah, yes ,of course, forgot about Rabada (he'd probably get into any team right now), so that would make 6 whites.
  • Options
    Which is why a quota of 5 makes more sense right now. But it's 6, which does cause a problem.
  • Options

Getting back to this game...Root out for 87 ...170-4off 29.3

Just switched it on. Stokes' strike rate looks pretty poor/sensible by his standards. Maybe Ballance has been giving him some coaching.
  • Options

Getting back to this game...Root out for 87 ...170-4off 29.3

Just switched it on. Stokes' strike rate looks pretty poor/sensible by his standards. Maybe Ballance has been giving him some coaching.
    He's hit a couple of sixes in that too.
  • Options
    Not sure about quotas... They deal with the symptom not the cause. Or is the aim to inventivise coaching and resources for non white players?
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    Still pissing myself. Thanks for that Stokes.
  • Options
    Stokes just played onto his stump