Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Sri Lanka & Pakistan

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Jordan can bowl at the death, might as well open with my bowling.

Thankfuly there won't be any death bowling as it will be all over in 2 overs!
  • Options
    Pakistan certainly ended with a bang. It's just as well there aren't any more matches, as England have really gone off the boil.

The batting score was miles off what they needed, unless Pakistan had a shocking start it was always going to be an easy chase
  • Options

OK, i've had enough of this shit - i'm going to bed. One of the most appalling performances i've ever seen.

I wouldn't want to be a dog in the presidents house tonight.
  • Options
    Imagine an in-form Pakistan team who were a few balls away from being World T20 Champions and had played white ball cricket with such skill and conviction over the past year had turned in a performance like England did tonight? There would have been all sorts of hidden accusations and snide comments. I'm sure England would have been pretty clear favourites to win with the bookies before the game. With the chance of not receiving winter fees this year maybe people made money elsewhere.......?
  • Options
    "There would have been all sorts of hidden accusations and snide comments"

*makes hidden accusations and snide comments*
  • Options
    Being stuffed in the manner they were with 5.1 overs left, in footballing terms equates to Charlton losing 7-0.
    It was a piss-poor performance - the most worrying being the almost gay abandon that the batsmen play the high-risk cross bat shots, like reverse sweep , regardless of the situation, and regardless of their ability to be able to play the shot, Stokes being the prime example.
    Jordan, well, dont get me started on Jordan.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

By all accounts it won't be long 'til 19 year old Haseeb Hameed
    gets his chance as England opener albeit via the Lions.

It seems that Haseeb is going to be replacing Hales in the Test side following the decision of Hales (who was probably going to be dropped anyway) not to tour. Morgan has come to the same decision so Buttler will captain the ODI team. Surprised because I though that Root was the obvious one for that job. Morgan may well not now play again for England.

We could also see three keepers in the ODI side with Billings potentially being added to Buttler and Bairstow.
  • Options

By all accounts it won't be long 'til 19 year old Haseeb Hameed
    gets his chance as England opener albeit via the Lions.

It seems that Haseeb is going to be replacing Hales in the Test side following the decision of Hales (who was probably going to be dropped anyway) not to tour. Morgan has come to the same decision so Buttler will captain the ODI team. Surprised because I though that Root was the obvious one for that job. Morgan may well not now play again for England.

We could also see three keepers in the ODI side with Billings potentially being added to Buttler and Bairstow.
    Interesting. I also thought Root was the natural understudy to Morgan
  • Options
    Morgans decision not to travel will, in my opinion, signal the end of his England career.

At the very least, I think it'll signal the end of his captaincy
  • Options

Morgans decision not to travel will, in my opinion, signal the end of his England career.

At the very least, I think it'll signal the end of his captaincy

I heard Graham Swann discussing this yesterday. He made it clear that he supported Morgan's decision and would have done the same himself. I think he also mentioned that an Australian tour had been actively targeted by terrorists in the last 12 months which would have been a big factor in his decision. It seems a hell of a risk that the ECB are taking. I just hope those who've made the call to tour are out there sitting on the bus with the players rather than sipping gin and tonics at home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would have made more sense if Morgan hadn't played in the IPL since he had been so scared by the terrorist attack when he was there.
  • Options

Would have made more sense if Morgan hadn't played in the IPL since he had been so scared by the terrorist attack when he was there.

Indeed - and the organisers of the Pakistan Super League announced yesterday that Hales had agreed to join James Anderson and Stuart Broad - especially as they are hoping to switch the final from Dubai to Lahore in February!
  • Options
    I would like to see Ben Duckett in the Test and one day squads. This bloke is the real deal. I have not seen enough of Hameed to decide.
  • Options

The threat levels in India and Bangladesh are quite different.
  • Options

The threat levels in India and Bangladesh are quite different.
    Was about to say the same. Sadly, Bangladesh is in a far worse state and it seems that Morgan and Hales weren't given any straight answers as to why the Aussie tour was pulled a year ago following security fears and concerns for player safety.

Hope @SantaClaus is right and the good and the great of the ECB are travelling everywhere with the players!
  • Options
    It'll be interesting who replaces Hales as opener in the ODI team, as Hales will almost certainly come back into the team in India. Will an existing batsman be moved up the order (e.g. Root, Stokes or Moeen) or will someone new come in?

With the way the ODI game has gone, openers play like middle order batsman anyway.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37340117

Borthwick is to leave Durham presumably to join Surrey. It'll be interesting if he gets to bowl more next season as a result
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I would like to see Ben Duckett in the Test and one day squads. This bloke is the real deal. I have not seen enough of Hameed to decide.

A Northants regular was telling me at Beckenham that this kid has the lot.
    full of confidence, can score runs all round the wicket. Has the build of
    David Warner and is Left handed. The Aussie is 5ft 7in, Ducket must be about the same.
    I hope losing his Driving licence and not being picked for 1 tour because of fitness issues is behind him because he has scored runs for fun this season in all forms of the game.
  • Options

Borthwick is to leave Durham presumably to join Surrey. It'll be interesting if he gets to bowl more next season as a result

As a Surrey fan, i dont feel comfortable with this. What with Stoneman joining too, it smells rotten.Money just talks.
    However, valid point that Borthwick says about Chester-le-street not helpting leggies.
  • Options

As a Surrey fan, i dont feel comfortable with this. What with Stoneman joining too, it smells rotten.Money just talks.
    However, valid point that Borthwick says about Chester-le-street not helpting leggies.
    Agreed, I was bemused when Stoneman joined as I think we have 3 good openers in Burns, Sibley and Harinath (Ansari has also done a job there). Suspect it will be the end for Harinath, shame as I rate him highly. Borthwick to me makes more sense.. Sanga is out of contract at the end of the year and I doubt he will come back (as much as I'd love him to) so Borthwick will bat 3 in all formats and will be second spinner in the early part of the season when you don't need 2 spinners. Also means we have 3 spinners all bowling different types of spin. Could be that we lose him to England a lot and so don't see much of him. Raises the question about next year's overseas player, if Borthwick replaces Sanga what do we go for as an overseas player? Obviously depends on who leaves (they'll have a good idea of this by now). I'd be happy to do without one for a season and see how we shape up.. maybe get a couple in short term to cover injuries.

Ironically I can see us being short of keepers next year. Sanga leaving, can't see Wilson getting a new contract despite runs for Ireland, Davies wants to go elsewhere to be first choice with the gloves, Burns hasn't kept for years... that leaves us with Foakes who must surely be second choice test keeper by now. So our only cover would be the 18yrold Ollie Pope.

Yes wrong thread I know... bite me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agreed, I was bemused when Stoneman joined as I think we have 3 good openers in Burns, Sibley and Harinath (Ansari has also done a job there). Suspect it will be the end for Harinath, shame as I rate him highly. Borthwick to me makes more sense.. Sanga is out of contract at the end of the year and I doubt he will come back (as much as I'd love him to) so Borthwick will bat 3 in all formats and will be second spinner in the early part of the season when you don't need 2 spinners. Also means we have 3 spinners all bowling different types of spin. Could be that we lose him to England a lot and so don't see much of him. Raises the question about next year's overseas player, if Borthwick replaces Sanga what do we go for as an overseas player? Obviously depends on who leaves (they'll have a good idea of this by now). I'd be happy to do without one for a season and see how we shape up.. maybe get a couple in short term to cover injuries.

Ironically I can see us being short of keepers next year. Sanga leaving, can't see Wilson getting a new contract despite runs for Ireland, Davies wants to go elsewhere to be first choice with the gloves, Burns hasn't kept for years... that leaves us with Foakes who must surely be second choice test keeper by now. So our only cover would be the 18yrold Ollie Pope.

It was a strange decision by Davies to give up the gloves. There have been moments in the last 2 years when England have had a vacancy there, and the modern keeper/batsmen like Butler, Bairstow and Billings show that you don't need to give up the gloves to score runs.
  • Options

It was a strange decision by Davies to give up the gloves. There have been moments in the last 2 years when England have had a vacancy there, and the modern keeper/batsmen like Butler, Bairstow and Billings show that you don't need to give up the gloves to score runs.
    Agreed and I think he should have shown a bit of loyalty to Surrey. He made this decision out of the blue to give up the gloves and we allowed it. We stuck with him through all the tough times when he was in shambolic form. He regains form and starts saying he wants the gloves back. By that point he is behind two established keepers, we give him a couple games with the gloves over the season but can't give him it regularly. And he is off. Poor form in my eyes.
  • Options

Agreed and I think he should have shown a bit of loyalty to Surrey. He made this decision out of the blue to give up the gloves and we allowed it. We stuck with him through all the tough times when he was in shambolic form. He regains form and starts saying he wants the gloves back. By that point he is behind two established keepers, we give him a couple games with the gloves over the season but can't give him it regularly. And he is off. Poor form in my eyes.
    But then he never showed much loyalty to Worcs when he left them for Surrey...

• Options
    In the defence of Davies I would suggest that as he still has aspirations to play for England as a keeper/batsman he knows now that he isn't going to get that chance at Surrey. Buttler made the same decision to leave Somerset for Lancs because Kieswetter had the gloves. Billings will probably, unfortunately, have to move too.

There is only one opportunity to keep and whilst you can get in through the back door as a batsman it is difficult to always play 3/4 keepers in the side as it creates an imbalance.
  • Options

In the defence of Davies I would suggest that as he still has aspirations to play for England as a keeper/batsman he knows now that he isn't going to get that chance at Surrey. Buttler made the same decision to leave Somerset for Lancs because Kieswetter had the gloves. Billings will probably, unfortunately, have to move too.

There is only one opportunity to keep and whilst you can get in through the back door as a batsman it is difficult to always play 3/4 keepers in the side as it creates an imbalance.

Buttler was heavily encouraged to leave Somerset by the England management I recall, as they saw him as the future Test keeper/batsman...

On retrospect, things would have been a lot easier if he'd stayed put.

With Billings, England have so far only picked him as a T20/ODI batsman. He doesn't need Div 1 CC cricket, but rather to be in a successful white ball county
  • Options

Buttler was heavily encouraged to leave Somerset by the England management I recall, as they saw him as the future Test keeper/batsman...

On retrospect, things would have been a lot easier if he'd stayed put.

With Billings, England have so far only picked him as a T20/ODI batsman. He doesn't need Div 1 CC cricket, but rather to be in a successful white ball county
    Unfortunately that isn't Kent at the moment - it's now eight years since we got to the final of a T20 or One Day tournament. In the last five years' T20 only Derbyshire and Leicestershire have a worse record as we have only managed to reach the QF once in that time.
  • Options
    Has Davies gone?
  • Options

Seb isn't that near the first team is he?

:smile:
  • Options

Has Davies gone?

Steven to Somerset. Ryan is staying there too.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37401678

Wasn't sure which cricket thread to post this is, but it's interesting to see the arguments going on about Bairstow being prevented from playing for Yorkshire this week in a crucial match, bearing in mind he's hardly played in the last month and isn't on a full central contract.

Typically Bairstow WAS allowed to play in the 50 over match against Kent though. Slightly awkward that Andrew Strauss has stopped him playing against Middlesex (his former county) and rivals for the CC :wink: