Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

French Open 2016

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ...and we're off, with Djok and Bautista Agut.
  • Options

Not looking good for day 10 either. Lashing it down. Had considered going this year. How gutted must people be who have spent on flights, tickets and hotels to be freezing cold, wet and pissed off in Paris in summer.

And with all the strikes in France as well...
  • Options
    An out of sorts Djokovic loses the first set. Shock on the cards.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So Murray will play defending champion Wawrinka in the semi final after beating Gasquet in four sets.

The other half of the draw is made up of Djokovic vs Berdych and Goffin vs Thiem. I believe those quarter finals will be played tomorrow.
  • Options
    Correct and semis on Friday .
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Christ, Murray does like a slow start. He won't get away with shenanigans like that against Wawrinka or Djokovic.
  • Options

Christ, Murray does like a slow start. He won't get away with shenanigans like that against Wawrinka or Djokovic.

I wonder if it's some psychological thing or an underlying physical problem as he's been pretty consistently starting off slow then finishing pretty strongly, intentionally or otherwise. But if he tries that against the really top players they are going to forge a huge advantage before he CAN get going and he's not so good that he can afford to give the likes of Wawrinka or Djokovic any sort of advantage at all in my opinion. Even against Gasquet you have to say he got at least a bit lucky.
  • Options
    Not sure if he got lucky, but I agree he can't afford to let Wawrinka or Djok get so much as a break up. He can fight back against the best, and has done many times. But he needs not to.
  • Options
    It does say something though, that Murray can have struggled so much and been so inconsistent...yes has made it through to the semis in Paris. Maybe the gods up there are on his side...
  • Options
    edited June 2016

It does say something though, that Murray can have struggled so much and been so inconsistent...yes has made it through to the semis in Paris. Maybe the gods up there are on his side...

In his whole career Murray hasn't had an easy run to a grand slam title. It's crazy that he's been making semis and finals for over a decade and he's never come up against a random lower ranked player or an injured opponent in the biggest matches. Maybe this is his year, gets some dumb luck and won't have to do it the hard way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In his whole career Murray hasn't had an easy run to a grand slam title. It's crazy that he's been making semis and finals for over a decade and he's never come up against a random lower ranked player or an injured opponent in the biggest matches. Maybe this is his year, he gets some dumb luck and won't have to do it the hard way.
    Beat Novak in the finals to win his two Grand Slams and Federer in the Olympics to win his gold medal. He's certainly no flat track bully.

Not sure what is up with the slow starts, maybe that creaky old back of his taking a while to loosen up? I dunno.

He might... might get away with is vs Wawrinka, but don't think he;s ever beaten Novak after losing the first set so he's got maybe one more match to get whatever the hell it is causing it out of his system.
  • Options

In his whole career Murray hasn't had an easy run to a grand slam title. It's crazy that he's been making semis and finals for over a decade and he's never come up against a random lower ranked player or an injured opponent in the biggest matches. Maybe this is his year, he gets some dumb luck and won't have to do it the hard way.
    Beat Novak in the finals to win his two Grand Slams and Federer in the Olympics to win his gold medal. He's certainly no flat track bully.

Not sure what is up with the slow starts, maybe that creaky old back of his taking a while to loosen up? I dunno.

He might... might get away with is vs Wawrinka, but don't think he;s ever beaten Novak after losing the first set so he's got maybe one more match to get whatever the hell it is causing it out of his system.
    I'm not denigrating Murray I just doubt he'll beat a fit Novak over 5 sets. If Novak isn't 100% Murray will deserve to catch a break for once.
  • Options

I'm not denigrating Murray I just doubt he'll beat a fit Novak over 5 sets. If Novak isn't 100% Murray will deserve to catch a break for once.
    I'm a huge Murray fan, but there's nothing really in the form book to suggest that it would be anything other than a Novak win over 5 sets. He has a good a chance as anyone else on the tour right now though.
  • Options
    To be fair to Andy... Having to go to five sets more than once that early in a Grand Slam is very uncommon from him, usually he'll blitz through the first rounds and then maybe have a four or five set match come the fourth round or Quarter-Finals so reckon his form at the French Open is more of a blip.

Really think he'll struggle against Wawrinka though and wont be surprised if he doesnt make the final.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Murray can do Djok over 5 sets. He is one of the fittest men on the circuit. I reckon he will beat Stan tomorrow.

Thiem could beat Djok in the semis if he can convert his break points - a major flaw last time they played.
  • Options
    Novak looks like he'll wrap this up pretty quick.
  • Options
    Comfortable 3 set win for Djokovic.
  • Options

Murray can do Djok over 5 sets. He is one of the fittest men on the circuit. I reckon he will beat Stan tomorrow.

Thiem could beat Djok in the semis if he can convert his break points - a major flaw last time they played.

Murray's problem is he is the second fittest person on the men's circuit. The fittest is Novak, almost super human in fact. Matches between the two are always wars of attrition, with multiple long rallies and deuce games. Somehow Djok always manages to just out last Murray and I'm not sure what Murray can do to get fitter, short of taking something illegal.
  • Options

Murray's problem is he is the second fittest person on the men's circuit. The fittest is Novak, almost super human in fact. Matches between the two are always wars of attrition, with multiple long rallies and deuce games. Somehow Djok always manages to just out last Murray and I'm not sure what Murray can do to get fitter, short of taking something illegal.
    As well as superior fitness Novak has a more reliable/effective serve (1st and 2nd) which is also crucial.
  • Options

As well as superior fitness Novak has a more reliable/effective serve (1st and 2nd) which is also crucial.
    I agree, though I think it's actually a bit of both. Both have almost ridiculous physical staying power but Djokovic even after an absolute marathon battle of a match keeps on providing reliable serves and consistent play but Murray struggles to keep the same level of composure - his body is willing but he flags mentally. Which is not really a criticism, because being second best to Djokovic is still far better than most players will ever be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Djokovic also manages to need an injury time out whenever he is down big to Murray.
  • Options

Djokovic also manages to need an injury time out whenever he is down big to Murray.

Yeah strange that isnt it... Its one of the reasons I really dont like him!!
  • Options
    Djok brought in Becker, who turned a great player into a winner

Murray brought in Lendl who also turned a great player into a winner. Then lost Lendl...

The 2 players match up really well, but it's mentally where Djok is stronger, that's the only real difference between the two
  • Options

Djok brought in Becker, who turned a great player into a winner

Murray brought in Lendl who also turned a great player into a winner. Then lost Lendl...

The 2 players match up really well, but it's mentally where Djok is stronger, that's the only real difference between the two

I'd say that physically Novak has an advantage over Murray too. Novak doesn't carry as much muscle ariund the court but still generates the same power as Murray. It makes a big difference over 5 sets
  • Options
    Murray one set up and with a double break in the second and 5-1 up. Absolute masterclass so far. Djok two sets up in other semi.
  • Options
    Wawrinka seems to have upped his game somewhat in the third set now. Which makes it a weird sort of inversion of just about every other game Murray's played in the tournament so far!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Wawrinka seems to have upped his game somewhat in the third set now. Which makes it a weird sort of inversion of just about every other game Murray's played in the tournament so far!

And after all the fixture problems Djok has had during the tournament, he's now into the final first!
  • Options
    Wawrinka won the third :-(

Hope Murray gets it done in the fourth.

• Options
    Already broken Stan...
  • Options
    Muzza 5-2 up in the fourth