Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Irish citizenship

Hi guys - quick one for any Irish passport holders out there.

So my father is - I think - an Irish citizen or passport holder who was born in Kent, to an English father and Irish mother. This makes me eligible for an Irish passport and citizenship as well I believe.

Does anyone know what faff I might have to go through/documentation I might need in order to set the wheels in motion for acquiring Irish citizenship myself?

Cheers

Comments

• Adios Paddy. I'll miss your doughty batting
  • Why do you want it? Seriously?

What benefits do you believe it will afford you?
  • Leaving a sinking ship
  • PaddyP17 said:

So my father is - I think - an Irish citizen or passport holder who was born in Kent, to an English father and Irish mother. This makes me eligible for an Irish passport and citizenship as well I believe.

Does anyone know what faff I might have to go through/documentation I might need in order to set the wheels in motion for acquiring Irish citizenship myself?

Cheers

You will first need to take Irish citizenship before getting a passport. Think it's a few hundred quid or similar.

I googled it a few months ago. There is plenty of info on Irish gov website.

I'm seriously thinking of doing the same.

• WSS said:

Why do you want it? Seriously?

The first time I went to China a visa for a British subject was £44 but for an Irish citizen it was £4.
  • I have now held an Irish passport for well over 20 years so I know PaddyP17 will get one eventually. There are a lot of positives and I have no regrets letting my British passport lapse.
  • WSS said:

Why do you want it? Seriously?

I might want to retire to Spain or France.

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't take Irish citizenship.

Can you really not do that as a British citizen? Now or in 10 years time? I genuinely don't know.

People seem to "retire" to places outside Europe with no problems.
  • Take the long term view and get a Mars passport.

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2016
    PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

My daughter got her Irish citizenship early this year, she was thinking of going to Trinity College Dublin at one stage.

You will need your father's birth cert, marriage cert (death cert, if he has passed) passport of a current form of photo id for him. You will need your long form birth cert, your marriage cert and a current photo ID. Also you will require your divorce papers if you have been divorced. You will also need the same for your grandmother.

I think it cost about £130 for the citizenship, had to get a postal order for it. Give the Irish embassy a ring and ask for the forms ( might be busy today) You may be able to do this on line.

Once you get your citizenship, you can apply for an Irish passport.

There is a large faff to it all, you don't just get it, because you've drank a pint of Guinness.
  • Henry. Your 'Chinese' quip is I hope simply that.
    I am pretty sure you are aware that Paddy is mixed race Chinese. So whilst you might have been intending to be amusing, it is a sensitive area to an extent. I would hate to think your quip is a version of 'go back to China', and indeed I really don't think you would sink so low.
  • seth plum said:

Henry. Your 'Chinese' quip is I hope simply that.
    I am pretty sure you are aware that Paddy is mixed race Chinese. So whilst you might have been intending to be amusing, it is a sensitive area to an extent. I would hate to think your quip is a version of 'go back to China', and indeed I really don't think you would sink so low.

I think he meant as the chinese economy looks set to grow and grow he would be better off being a chinese citizen? I may be wrong.
  • I can understand wanting Irish citizenship as a hedge, but don't understand why anyone who intends to remain in the UK would let their British passport lapse. Irish citizenship office will be busy.
  • i really dont think he meant it in that way @seth plum so stop trying to cause an issue where there isnt one.

I am not trying to cause an issue. Read my post carefully, it is about clearing the air before it becomes clouded.
  • edited June 2016
    seth plum said:

i really dont think he meant it in that way @seth plum so stop trying to cause an issue where there isnt one.

I am not trying to cause an issue. Read my post carefully, it is about clearing the air before it becomes clouded.
    i have read the post and can understand it, just dont think theres any need for your comment.
  • Take the long term view and get a Chinese passport.

Mmmm Alsatian.
  • seth plum said:

i really dont think he meant it in that way @seth plum so stop trying to cause an issue where there isnt one.

i have read the post and can understand it, just dont think theres any need for your comment.
    My wife is Chinese, my son mixed race, that is why I commented.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

PaddyP = Seth Plum Junior?
  • IA said:

I can understand wanting Irish citizenship as a hedge, but don't understand why anyone who intends to remain in the UK would let their British passport lapse. Irish citizenship office will be busy.

It is because it is not necessary to have two passports. Unless you're a hit man or something. Bourne had loads of them.
  • .....you need to get up pretty early in the morning to catch me out AND I was up till 4am AND I been in collar since 8am

Base meself on Sherlock Holmes (Basildon Rathbone/Jeremy Brett) meets What Earp
  • seth plum said:

IA said:

I can understand wanting Irish citizenship as a hedge, but don't understand why anyone who intends to remain in the UK would let their British passport lapse. Irish citizenship office will be busy.

It is because it is not necessary to have two passports. Unless you're a hit man or something. Bourne had loads of them.
    Fair enough. I think I'd want the British one as backup.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes.
    Give us a like then, Seth
  • I have but I am not sure why. Grove Park has gone right shabby in recent years.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Sorry Paddy, the rules for Irish citizenship have changed.
    It's now mandatory to go to the Euros and tell everyone how "sound" and "deadly" the Irish are.
  • seth plum said:

I have but I am not sure why. Grove Park has gone right shabby in recent years.

Me leaving Grove Park was like the UK leaving the EU, watch it unravel before your very eyes