Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Irish citizenship

Comments

• Options
    DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

There are parts of Europe full of retired UK citizens, indeed where their local economy depends of them, there's no way that some sort of agreement won't be reached

I've got Irish grandparents as well, I'd only thought about getting an Irish passport, as it might be politically easier when the UK was waging one of its wars...

Exactly. Can you imagine Spain saying UK citizens can no longer stay there. They're hugely dependent financially and jobs wise on expats.

I'd get a Scottish passport when they get independence and join the EU. Purely for the fact I love travelling around Europe and it may make it easier/cheaper depending on what changes happen.

I don't see it having that much effect on holiday travel in Europe actually. We're not in Schengen, so have to show our passports when we first enter that area, but like everyone else can then move freely within the EU Schengen area. I imagine that we'll probably be allowed to travel for 3 to 6 months within Europe after entry
    Yeah, we don't know how this is going to pan out and I don't think it will make huge differences for stuff like regular travel. But from a personal perspective I have been considering travelling extensively (again) or working/living in Europe for a bit. We never know what life brings and it never hurts to have options if you can have them. Duel nationality is a benefit used by many people for varying reasons.
    Working/living in Europe clearly is a different situation, which is up in the air.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DRAddick said:

There are parts of Europe full of retired UK citizens, indeed where their local economy depends of them, there's no way that some sort of agreement won't be reached

I've got Irish grandparents as well, I'd only thought about getting an Irish passport, as it might be politically easier when the UK was waging one of its wars...

Exactly. Can you imagine Spain saying UK citizens can no longer stay there. They're hugely dependent financially and jobs wise on expats.

I'd get a Scottish passport when they get independence and join the EU. Purely for the fact I love travelling around Europe and it may make it easier/cheaper depending on what changes happen.

Holiday makers will just be financially worse off - they will still be welcomed. The ex-pat community is quite heavily weighted towards the older generation, it is also pretty much concentrated along the coast. They are not that reliant on their job skills or the income from pensioners living on a budget. They are not hugely dependent as a whole - the big cities where a lot of the voters are won't give two hoots. If a Spanish government sees votes in making life difficult for retired ex-pats "clogging up their health system" they wont think twice about doing so. They don't care about making life difficult for their own countrymen in Algeciras and La Linea who depend in Gibraltar if they see a few votes in sabre rattling down there...
  • Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

Why do you want it? Seriously?

What benefits do you believe it will afford you?

I might want to retire to Spain or France.

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't take Irish citizenship.

Can you really not do that as a British citizen? Now or in 10 years time? I genuinely don't know.

People seem to "retire" to places outside Europe with no problems.
    No they don't. They have to meet certain criteria to go and live in many countries, in most countries outside the EU their UK old age pension is frozen when they leave - Australia for example.

My (half English, half Northern Irish) Northern Irish mate told me he can get a republic passport and carry on with dual nationality no problem. At least, that's what he thinks.
    Anyone born in Northern Ireland can choose to have either a UK or an Irish passport, which is why I have an Irish passport.

You can get citizenship via marriage and naturalisation.

Obviously, there is a very stringent loveliness test....
  • Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

I might want to retire to Spain or France.

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't take Irish citizenship.

Can you really not do that as a British citizen? Now or in 10 years time? I genuinely don't know.

People seem to "retire" to places outside Europe with no problems.
    No they don't. They have to meet certain criteria to go and live in many countries, in most countries outside the EU their UK old age pension is frozen when they leave - Australia for example.

My (half English, half Northern Irish) Northern Irish mate told me he can get a republic passport and carry on with dual nationality no problem. At least, that's what he thinks.
    The key here might be the Good-Friday-Agreement that entitles the Northern Irish to both passports (and citizenships).
    Even before that, anyone born on the island of Ireland was entitled to the passport.
  • Options
    NIA - interesting times up North now I imagine with the popular vote being to remain.
  • Options
    I'll be doing the Same @PaddyP17. My maternal grandparents (and all their ancestors back as far as we can see) are Irish, so me, my brother and sister will all be applying.

Sadly my father is Welsh, but we all have our crosses to bear.
  • Options
    redsek said:

NIA - interesting times up North now I imagine with the popular vote being to remain.

Isn't it less of an issue for Northern Irish (than for the Scots) as they can all just claim Irish passports and continue to live, work and travel in the EU ? Best of both worlds for them really ?
  • Options
    Don't understand why Ireland would want a swarm of English immigrants invading.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

WSS said:

The first time I went to China a visa for a British subject was £44 but for an Irish citizen it was £4.
    Now it's nearly 200 quid all-in
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

Henry. Your 'Chinese' quip is I hope simply that.
    I am pretty sure you are aware that Paddy is mixed race Chinese. So whilst you might have been intending to be amusing, it is a sensitive area to an extent. I would hate to think your quip is a version of 'go back to China', and indeed I really don't think you would sink so low.

It was a "quip" although semi-serious as in the long term the Chinese economy looks like becoming stronger and stronger so if he were looking for an alternative passport/citizenship is might be a better option.

Certainly wasn't a "go back to China" or similar remark. I know Paddy has mixed parentage and Chinese heritage of which is quite rightly proud.

I had one grandparent born in what was then Russia and is now Poland and another who might have been born in Dublin or in New York (or Hackney) but i'll stick with my UK passport for the time being.
    Yeah in fairness Seth I don't think HI was attempting to imply xenophobia or anything
    I'm more concerned Leuth was attempting to imply doughtiness of your batting, Paddy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Didn't go too well last time...
  • Options

Unless they need them to pad out their football team...
  • Options

Are you suggesting Ireland would ever pick someone who wasn't born and bred in Eire for their national team ? Surely not !
  • Options

seth plum said:

WSS said:

The first time I went to China a visa for a British subject was £44 but for an Irish citizen it was £4.
    Now it's nearly 200 quid all-in
    WTF, are you serious? I have to treck to Chongqing next month for a new passport, which is gonna cost me just over 1,000RMB, once that gets back it'll be another HK run, also my first time in China where I have to pay for my visa......

• Options
    edited June 2016
    se9addick said:

redsek said:

Isn't it less of an issue for Northern Irish (than for the Scots) as they can all just claim Irish passports and continue to live, work and travel in the EU ? Best of both worlds for them really ?
    ID checks (possibly even passport control) and delays at a newly policed border that presently people cross without even noticing does not suggest the best of both worlds. And that's just touching the surface.
  • Options
    Ireland a lovely country a great choice people----best get there before Geldorf goes back back--- great idea to go there tho.
    Cheerio
  • Options
    Feck off the lot of yers!
  • Options
    I have a Danish (EU) passport and am wondering whether I should apply for dual nationality and apply for a UK/ English and Welsh passport?
  • Options

se9addick said:

Are you suggesting Ireland would ever pick someone who wasn't born and bred in Eire for their national team ? Surely not !
    People in glass houses and that.
    It's not like the England football team haven't done it, let's not talk about their cricket & rugby teams.
    I was joking, but the Jack Charlton years were notorious for the number of plastic paddies in their team!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

I think that it actually will be very interesting, and not in a good way.

The EU has actually been very good for Northern Ireland. Beyond the normal subsidies, and all that, there are a series of funding regimes in place to help the peace process and improve infrastructure. So, the economic picture looks less rosy now.

Philosophically, I actually think that EU membership has been partly behind the increasing numbers of people self-identifying as Northern Irish, rather than Irish or British. IMHO, opinions, that were becoming less entrenched over time, will now be more polarised once more.

It was interesting to see that all the main political parties, other than the DUP, were clearly for Remain - and that even the DUP are advising people to get Irish passports as an insurance measure.

I'm not really sure that the timing of the referendum was good for here - we have far too many flags (flegs) causing problems as it is, and the EU flag was one of the few that did not instantly raise someone's hackles.

Despite the Sinn Fein line that they want a referendum on the border, I cannot see that happening, unless and until staying with the UK becomes too unattractive for the middle of the road voters.

So, it looks like you may lose Scotland, but be stuck with us...

And I should point out that, despite the exciting thought that there might be oil over here, the test borehole found nothing at the most promising site.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    se9addick said:

That sort of thing just isn't cricket, it's reassuring to see that England wouldn't do it either...
  • Options

se9addick said:

People in glass houses and that.
    It's not like the England football team haven't done it, let's not talk about their cricket & rugby teams.
    I was joking, but the Jack Charlton years were notorious for the number of plastic paddies in their team!
    One of the greatest English cricket captains was South African and he's in good company over the years in lots of sports.

• Options

redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

The EU has actually been very good for Northern Ireland. Beyond the normal subsidies, and all that, there are a series of funding regimes in place to help the peace process and improve infrastructure. So, the economic picture looks less rosy now.

Philosophically, I actually think that EU membership has been partly behind the increasing numbers of people self-identifying as Northern Irish, rather than Irish or British. IMHO, opinions, that were becoming less entrenched over time, will now be more polarised once more.

It was interesting to see that all the main political parties, other than the DUP, were clearly for Remain - and that even the DUP are advising people to get Irish passports as an insurance measure.

I'm not really sure that the timing of the referendum was good for here - we have far too many flags (flegs) causing problems as it is, and the EU flag was one of the few that did not instantly raise someone's hackles.

Despite the Sinn Fein line that they want a referendum on the border, I cannot see that happening, unless and until staying with the UK becomes too unattractive for the middle of the road voters.

And I should point out that, despite the exciting thought that there might be oil over here, the test borehole found nothing at the most promising site.
    What did it find ?

• Options

redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

What did it find ?

Rock, I think (well, as soon as they'd got through the first few layers of shite, always plenty of that to be found over here)...

Nothing to excite anyone. Environmental protesters were convinced it was an undercover attempt to begin fracking, but, from what I hear, there's not even the sniff of any shale oil/gas to be found.
  • Options

Will be looking into applying for my Irish one as soon as possible. My Mam, born in Dublin and proudly Irish got us British ones on the basis that we were born here, and crucially, being Irish had few advantages of being British (at least in terms of passports). However, the case is now that my Irish nationality gives me opportunities that Brits simply do not have, so I am of course gonna join the Emerald Isle. To be honest, I've always considered myself British, but right now I think I have far more in common with my fellow Irishmen than those in Blighty, so am quite buzzed to be making the change anyway. Plus, can do without the distateful looks of French, German or other EU passport controls as I try to explain that although I'm British I didn't support the policy which sent their countries into economic decline. Think I'd rather the general smile that greets citizens of Eire instead.

Just to recap - you can be a British Citizen and Irish Citizen simultaneously, you don't have to give one up to become a citizen of the other.

• Options

Will be looking into applying for my Irish one as soon as possible. My Mam, born in Dublin and proudly Irish got us British ones on the basis that we were born here, and crucially, being Irish had few advantages of being British (at least in terms of passports). However, the case is now that my Irish nationality gives me opportunities that Brits simply do not have, so I am of course gonna join the Emerald Isle. To be honest, I've always considered myself British, but right now I think I have far more in common with my fellow Irishmen than those in Blighty, so am quite buzzed to be making the change anyway. Plus, can do without the distateful looks of French, German or other EU passport controls as I try to explain that although I'm British I didn't support the policy which sent their countries into economic decline. Think I'd rather the general smile that greets citizens of Eire instead.

Just to recap - you can be a British Citizen and Irish Citizen simultaneously, you don't have to give one up to become a citizen of the other.

Yeh thanks for pointing out. Had realised that, but meant more symbolically now, given that I'll probably leave the UK, the passport isn't the only reason that I feel a bit more Irish - just will now have the passport to go with it ;)
  • Options

redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

Politically it's easier if it comes from somewhere "neutral" but there's no reason why the UK wouldn't continue that funding, which effectively comes out of the money we pay in to the EU anyway

Whether the Irish republic actually wants reunification is debatable as well, seeing that the North is subsidised by the rest of the UK, and that the "Troubles etc" would become their problem?
  • Options
    Hmm. If you change to Irish citizenship does that automatically increase the number of immigrants ?

If you really felt Irish you would have had an Irish passport already.