Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Irish citizenship

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016

WSS said:

Why do you want it? Seriously?

What benefits do you believe it will afford you?

I might want to retire to Spain or France.

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't take Irish citizenship.

I was hoping to do this. It wouldn't be possible for me to go at the moment, but I'd hoped in about 10 years it would.

Perhaps there'll be some way of making it happen in the future, but for me with no Irish option, it feels like a dream died this morning.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Henry. Your 'Chinese' quip is I hope simply that.
    I am pretty sure you are aware that Paddy is mixed race Chinese. So whilst you might have been intending to be amusing, it is a sensitive area to an extent. I would hate to think your quip is a version of 'go back to China', and indeed I really don't think you would sink so low.

It was a "quip" although semi-serious as in the long term the Chinese economy looks like becoming stronger and stronger so if he were looking for an alternative passport/citizenship is might be a better option.

Certainly wasn't a "go back to China" or similar remark. I know Paddy has mixed parentage and Chinese heritage of which is quite rightly proud.

I had one grandparent born in what was then Russia and is now Poland and another who might have been born in Dublin or in New York (or Hackney) but i'll stick with my UK passport for the time being.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I am pretty sure you are aware that Paddy is mixed race Chinese. So whilst you might have been intending to be amusing, it is a sensitive area to an extent. I would hate to think your quip is a version of 'go back to China', and indeed I really don't think you would sink so low.

It was a "quip" although semi-serious as in the long term the Chinese economy looks like becoming stronger and stronger so if he were looking for an alternative passport/citizenship is might be a better option.

Certainly wasn't a "go back to China" or similar remark. I know Paddy has mixed parentage and Chinese heritage of which is quite rightly proud.

I had one grandparent born in what was then Russia and is now Poland and another who might have been born in Dublin or in New York (or Hackney) but i'll stick with my UK passport for the time being.
    Yeah in fairness Seth I don't think HI was attempting to imply xenophobia or anything
  • Options
    WSS said:

Should we leave the EU, as looks inevitable, then I would presume being Irish and having the option of freedom of movement within that zone is an advantage to have.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Hi guys - quick one for any Irish passport holders out there.

So my father is - I think - an Irish citizen or passport holder who was born in Kent, to an English father and Irish mother. This makes me eligible for an Irish passport and citizenship as well I believe.

Does anyone know what faff I might have to go through/documentation I might need in order to set the wheels in motion for acquiring Irish citizenship myself?

Cheers

My daughter got her Irish citizenship early this year, she was thinking of going to Trinity College Dublin at one stage.

You will need your father's birth cert, marriage cert (death cert, if he has passed) passport of a current form of photo id for him. You will need your long form birth cert, your marriage cert and a current photo ID. Also you will require your divorce papers if you have been divorced. You will also need the same for your grandmother.

I think it cost about £130 for the citizenship, had to get a postal order for it. Give the Irish embassy a ring and ask for the forms ( might be busy today) You may be able to do this on line.

Once you get your citizenship, you can apply for an Irish passport.

There is a large faff to it all, you don't just get it, because you've drank a pint of Guinness.
    That's a lot of things to consider - appreciate the advice. While I have drunk a few pints of Guinness in my time, there's definitely some actual bona fide Irish heritage and I'm not applying tenuously - after all, I'm probably as eligible as Matt Holland/Jon Walters et al...
  • Options

seth plum said:

I have but I am not sure why. Grove Park has gone right shabby in recent years.

Me leaving Grove Park was like the UK leaving the EU, watch it unravel before your very eyes
    Grove Park no longer exists. It's been renamed Gove Park as a tribute.
  • Options

IA said:

seth plum said:

IA said:

I can understand wanting Irish citizenship as a hedge, but don't understand why anyone who intends to remain in the UK would let their British passport lapse. Irish citizenship office will be busy.

It is because it is not necessary to have two passports. Unless you're a hit man or something. Bourne had loads of them.
    Fair enough. I think I'd want the British one as backup.
    Good thinking, hand the British passport into the police before all major football tournaments and travel on the Irish, also means if you get pinched by the local plod whilst fighting you can play the friendly paddy card and claim you were an innocent bystander who was picked on ! Brilliant, you've clearly put a lot of thought into this mate.
    I see you've been reading my diary
  • Options
    I think that at least one of your parents or at least one of your grandparents must have been born in Ireland.

Interestingly the grandparent could have been born in what is now Northern Ireland if they were born prior to partition.
  • Options

I think that at least one of your parents or at least one of your grandparents must have been born in Ireland.

Interestingly the grandparent could have been born in what is now Northern Ireland if they were born prior to partition.

That's because it was one country, at the time.
  • Options

That's because it was one country, at the time.
    er yes

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Under the Good Friday Agreement, I don't think that's restricted to grandparents born before partition.

Someone born in Belfast today would be eligible for Irish citizenship.
  • Options
    Henry I appreciate your response. Thank you. I wasn't thinking about economic stuff, just that a mixed race Chinese person started this thread talking about an Irish passport, and I consequently misunderstood what you were intending by your remark about getting a Chinese passport.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

So my father is - I think - an Irish citizen or passport holder who was born in Kent, to an English father and Irish mother. This makes me eligible for an Irish passport and citizenship as well I believe.

Does anyone know what faff I might have to go through/documentation I might need in order to set the wheels in motion for acquiring Irish citizenship myself?

Cheers

My daughter got her Irish citizenship early this year, she was thinking of going to Trinity College Dublin at one stage.

You will need your father's birth cert, marriage cert (death cert, if he has passed) passport of a current form of photo id for him. You will need your long form birth cert, your marriage cert and a current photo ID. Also you will require your divorce papers if you have been divorced. You will also need the same for your grandmother.

I think it cost about £130 for the citizenship, had to get a postal order for it. Give the Irish embassy a ring and ask for the forms ( might be busy today) You may be able to do this on line.

There is a large faff to it all, you don't just get it, because you've drank a pint of Guinness.
    That's a lot of things to consider - appreciate the advice. While I have drunk a few pints of Guinness in my time, there's definitely some actual bona fide Irish heritage and I'm not applying tenuously - after all, I'm probably as eligible as Matt Holland/Jon Walters et al...
    Both of those mentioned are British citizens, not Irish.
    Citizenship isn't required under FIFA rules (thank God).
    So Paddy already qualifies to play for Ireland - he just hasn't declared for either team.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Both of those mentioned are British citizens, not Irish.
    Citizenship isn't required under FIFA rules (thank God).
    So Paddy already qualifies to play for Ireland - he just hasn't declared for either team.
    I thought you had to have a passport from the country that you are playing for? This is how Tony Cascarino, found out his mother was adopted.
  • Options

seth plum said:

That explains a lot! :wink:
  • Options
    Can you get Irish citizenship through marriage?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Can you get Irish citizenship through marriage?

Only if your spouses goldfish is a fiddly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Cheers

Listen mate, if Clinton Morrison can get an Irish passport, any f***er can!!!
  • Options
    WSS said:

WSS said:

Can you really not do that as a British citizen? Now or in 10 years time? I genuinely don't know.

People seem to "retire" to places outside Europe with no problems.
    No they don't. They have to meet certain criteria to go and live in many countries, in most countries outside the EU their UK old age pension is frozen when they leave - Australia for example.

My (half English, half Northern Irish) Northern Irish mate told me he can get a republic passport and carry on with dual nationality no problem. At least, that's what he thinks.
  • Options
    I have had a British passport and an Irish passport for years for practical purposes. Have just found it useful to have the two as if one is being renewed I have always got a spare one. I just had to send a copy of my Irish father's birth certificate. Also the Irish one used to be a lot cheaper and also the form filling and photo bit was simpler than the UK process. In fact until the Irish economy went belly up the Irish passport was free when you reached pension age.
  • Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

Can you really not do that as a British citizen? Now or in 10 years time? I genuinely don't know.

No they don't. They have to meet certain criteria to go and live in many countries, in most countries outside the EU their UK old age pension is frozen when they leave - Australia for example.

My (half English, half Northern Irish) Northern Irish mate told me he can get a republic passport and carry on with dual nationality no problem. At least, that's what he thinks.
    The key here might be the Good-Friday-Agreement that entitles the Northern Irish to both passports (and citizenships).
  • Options
    There are parts of Europe full of retired UK citizens, indeed where their local economy depends of them, there's no way that some sort of agreement won't be reached

I've got Irish grandparents as well, I'd only thought about getting an Irish passport, as it might be politically easier when the UK was waging one of its wars...
  • Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

Cheers

Just read that Barbados and Mauritius don't freeze the UK pension. That'll do.
  • Options

There are parts of Europe full of retired UK citizens, indeed where their local economy depends of them, there's no way that some sort of agreement won't be reached

I've got Irish grandparents as well, I'd only thought about getting an Irish passport, as it might be politically easier when the UK was waging one of its wars...

Exactly. Can you imagine Spain saying UK citizens can no longer stay there. They're hugely dependent financially and jobs wise on expats.

I'd get a Scottish passport when they get independence and join the EU. Purely for the fact I love travelling around Europe and it may make it easier/cheaper depending on what changes happen.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    DRAddick said:

Exactly. Can you imagine Spain saying UK citizens can no longer stay there. They're hugely dependent financially and jobs wise on expats.

I'd get a Scottish passport when they get independence and join the EU. Purely for the fact I love travelling around Europe and it may make it easier/cheaper depending on what changes happen.

I don't see it having that much effect on holiday travel in Europe actually. We're not in Schengen, so have to show our passports when we first enter that area, but like everyone else can then move freely within the EU Schengen area. I imagine that we'll probably be allowed to travel for 3 to 6 months within Europe after entry
  • Options

DRAddick said:

I don't see it having that much effect on holiday travel in Europe actually. We're not in Schengen, so have to show our passports when we first enter that area, but like everyone else can then move freely within the EU Schengen area. I imagine that we'll probably be allowed to travel for 3 to 6 months within Europe after entry
    Yeah, we don't know how this is going to pan out and I don't think it will make huge differences for stuff like regular travel. But from a personal perspective I have been considering travelling extensively (again) or working/living in Europe for a bit. We never know what life brings and it never hurts to have options if you can have them. Duel nationality is a benefit used by many people for varying reasons.