Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Irish citizenship

124»

Comments

• redsek said:

NIA - interesting times up North now I imagine with the popular vote being to remain.

Sorry for the delay.

I think that it actually will be very interesting, and not in a good way.

The EU has actually been very good for Northern Ireland. Beyond the normal subsidies, and all that, there are a series of funding regimes in place to help the peace process and improve infrastructure. So, the economic picture looks less rosy now.

Philosophically, I actually think that EU membership has been partly behind the increasing numbers of people self-identifying as Northern Irish, rather than Irish or British. IMHO, opinions, that were becoming less entrenched over time, will now be more polarised once more.

It was interesting to see that all the main political parties, other than the DUP, were clearly for Remain - and that even the DUP are advising people to get Irish passports as an insurance measure.

I'm not really sure that the timing of the referendum was good for here - we have far too many flags (flegs) causing problems as it is, and the EU flag was one of the few that did not instantly raise someone's hackles.

Despite the Sinn Fein line that they want a referendum on the border, I cannot see that happening, unless and until staying with the UK becomes too unattractive for the middle of the road voters.

So, it looks like you may lose Scotland, but be stuck with us...

And I should point out that, despite the exciting thought that there might be oil over here, the test borehole found nothing at the most promising site.
    Politically it's easier if it comes from somewhere "neutral" but there's no reason why the UK wouldn't continue that funding, which effectively comes out of the money we pay in to the EU anyway

Whether the Irish republic actually wants reunification is debatable as well, seeing that the North is subsidised by the rest of the UK, and that the "Troubles etc" would become their problem?
    There is no reason why it wouldn't I agree, but there is no reason, from looking at the history to assume that it would. And, while you may find it hard to believe, the EU flag on a sign beside a shiny new road/community centre, really doesn't get anyone's hackles up - the same could not be said for either the UK or NI flags.

I've never said that Dublin actually wants NI, clearly, on economic terms, that would be bonkers - politically, though a poisoned chalice, it might be difficult to say "no". But, I don't believe that a referendum for a United Ireland would work now, it might at some time in the future, though that will depend on what happens in the UK as a whole (and whether it stays whole). Scotland voting to leave could be quite traumatic for NI, and would be likely to increase the costs to the UK of NI.
  • redsek said:

NIA - interesting times up North now I imagine with the popular vote being to remain.

Sorry for the delay.

The EU has actually been very good for Northern Ireland. Beyond the normal subsidies, and all that, there are a series of funding regimes in place to help the peace process and improve infrastructure. So, the economic picture looks less rosy now.

Philosophically, I actually think that EU membership has been partly behind the increasing numbers of people self-identifying as Northern Irish, rather than Irish or British. IMHO, opinions, that were becoming less entrenched over time, will now be more polarised once more.

It was interesting to see that all the main political parties, other than the DUP, were clearly for Remain - and that even the DUP are advising people to get Irish passports as an insurance measure.

I'm not really sure that the timing of the referendum was good for here - we have far too many flags (flegs) causing problems as it is, and the EU flag was one of the few that did not instantly raise someone's hackles.

Despite the Sinn Fein line that they want a referendum on the border, I cannot see that happening, unless and until staying with the UK becomes too unattractive for the middle of the road voters.

And I should point out that, despite the exciting thought that there might be oil over here, the test borehole found nothing at the most promising site.
    Hopefully not - I understand even Ian Paisley JNR is going to apply for an Irish passport. Did we ever think we'd see the day?
  • redsek said:

redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

Hopefully not - I understand even Ian Paisley JNR is going to apply for an Irish passport. Did we ever think we'd see the day?
    I don't think that he is, actually.

He is advising people to apply for Irish citizenship as an insurance policy (despite the DUP being the main backers of Leave over here); he will happily sign the proof of identity element.

As an aside, his sister Rhonda worked on an RTE TV show for a while in the 1980s/1990s.
  • redsek said:

redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

Love to see his face, if his application gets turned down.
  • redsek said:

Sorry for the delay.

Politically it's easier if it comes from somewhere "neutral" but there's no reason why the UK wouldn't continue that funding, which effectively comes out of the money we pay in to the EU anyway

Whether the Irish republic actually wants reunification is debatable as well, seeing that the North is subsidised by the rest of the UK, and that the "Troubles etc" would become their problem?
    There is no reason why it wouldn't I agree, but there is no reason, from looking at the history to assume that it would. And, while you may find it hard to believe, the EU flag on a sign beside a shiny new road/community centre, really doesn't get anyone's hackles up - the same could not be said for either the UK or NI flags.

I've never said that Dublin actually wants NI, clearly, on economic terms, that would be bonkers - politically, though a poisoned chalice, it might be difficult to say "no". But, I don't believe that a referendum for a United Ireland would work now, it might at some time in the future, though that will depend on what happens in the UK as a whole (and whether it stays whole). Scotland voting to leave could be quite traumatic for NI, and would be likely to increase the costs to the UK of NI.
    The EU flag on a community centre in England wouldn't get anyone's hackles up in England either. Nobody generally complains when they're a recipient!
  • Will be looking into applying for my Irish one as soon as possible. My Mam, born in Dublin and proudly Irish got us British ones on the basis that we were born here, and crucially, being Irish had few advantages of being British (at least in terms of passports). However, the case is now that my Irish nationality gives me opportunities that Brits simply do not have, so I am of course gonna join the Emerald Isle. To be honest, I've always considered myself British, but right now I think I have far more in common with my fellow Irishmen than those in Blighty, so am quite buzzed to be making the change anyway. Plus, can do without the distateful looks of French, German or other EU passport controls as I try to explain that although I'm British I didn't support the policy which sent their countries into economic decline. Think I'd rather the general smile that greets citizens of Eire instead.

Just to recap - you can be a British Citizen and Irish Citizen simultaneously, you don't have to give one up to become a citizen of the other.

Yeh thanks for pointing out. Had realised that, but meant more symbolically now, given that I'll probably leave the UK, the passport isn't the only reason that I feel a bit more Irish - just will now have the passport to go with it ;)

Will be looking into applying for my Irish one as soon as possible. My Mam, born in Dublin and proudly Irish got us British ones on the basis that we were born here, and crucially, being Irish had few advantages of being British (at least in terms of passports). However, the case is now that my Irish nationality gives me opportunities that Brits simply do not have, so I am of course gonna join the Emerald Isle. To be honest, I've always considered myself British, but right now I think I have far more in common with my fellow Irishmen than those in Blighty, so am quite buzzed to be making the change anyway. Plus, can do without the distateful looks of French, German or other EU passport controls as I try to explain that although I'm British I didn't support the policy which sent their countries into economic decline. Think I'd rather the general smile that greets citizens of Eire instead.

Just to recap - you can be a British Citizen and Irish Citizen simultaneously, you don't have to give one up to become a citizen of the other.

Yeh thanks for pointing out. Had realised that, but meant more symbolically now, given that I'll probably leave the UK, the passport isn't the only reason that I feel a bit more Irish - just will now have the passport to go with it ;)
    http://

I do know what you mean. On a lighter note, my father was from Monaghan and nowadays I come via Belfast - I know I am back on Irish soil when I see the Tayto billboard at Belfast City Airport Pick Up Area. Greatest name for crisps ever invented!

imageimage
  • MrOneLung said:

Hmm. If you change to Irish citizenship does that automatically increase the number of immigrants ?

If you really felt Irish you would have had an Irish passport already.

I've always felt Irish but never had one. Easier to get British one and I'm not one of those people who thinks a nationality is defined by where you're born and definitely not by your passport.
  • edited June 2016
    WSS said:

Why do you want it? Seriously?

What benefits do you believe it will afford you?

My daughter took out an Irish citizenship (dual nationality) earlier this year. The reason being that Scotland wave their university fees, currently £9k per year introduced here by the tories

• Will be looking into applying for my Irish one as soon as possible. My Mam, born in Dublin and proudly Irish got us British ones on the basis that we were born here, and crucially, being Irish had few advantages of being British (at least in terms of passports). However, the case is now that my Irish nationality gives me opportunities that Brits simply do not have, so I am of course gonna join the Emerald Isle. To be honest, I've always considered myself British, but right now I think I have far more in common with my fellow Irishmen than those in Blighty, so am quite buzzed to be making the change anyway. Plus, can do without the distateful looks of French, German or other EU passport controls as I try to explain that although I'm British I didn't support the policy which sent their countries into economic decline. Think I'd rather the general smile that greets citizens of Eire instead.

Will be looking into applying for my Irish one as soon as possible. My Mam, born in Dublin and proudly Irish got us British ones on the basis that we were born here, and crucially, being Irish had few advantages of being British (at least in terms of passports). However, the case is now that my Irish nationality gives me opportunities that Brits simply do not have, so I am of course gonna join the Emerald Isle. To be honest, I've always considered myself British, but right now I think I have far more in common with my fellow Irishmen than those in Blighty, so am quite buzzed to be making the change anyway. Plus, can do without the distateful looks of French, German or other EU passport controls as I try to explain that although I'm British I didn't support the policy which sent their countries into economic decline. Think I'd rather the general smile that greets citizens of Eire instead.

http://

I do know what you mean. On a lighter note, my father was from Monaghan and nowadays I come via Belfast - I know I am back on Irish soil when I see the Tayto billboard at Belfast City Airport Pick Up Area. Greatest name for crisps ever invented!

imageimage
    But which Tayto do you prefer????

I have to admit, with me it varies by flavour.
  • No competition has to be

• Sponsored links:

• Tayto Wars
  • IA said:

Tayto Wars

Ok - let's set the scene first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSIV_nDeMo
  • edited June 2016

IA said:

Tayto Wars

Ok - let's set the scene first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSIV_nDeMo
    Kind of worrying, the "need" for subtitles.

And, for whoever did this, it's Mikado, not Mercado; craic, not crack...
  • Just to let you know the Irish Passport can be passed down indefinitely as long as the birth is registered. The British passport will not be passed down unless you live in Britain for at least three years.

I claimed a British passport through my mom, an Irish passport through my father and being born in Canada I also hold a Canadian :)
  • Was going through random old pages and noticed this thread.

So three months on from last post, who has got their Irosh Citizenship sorted?
  • MrOneLung said:

Was going through random old pages and noticed this thread.

Clinton 'ya get me' Morrison

Andy 'alwight guv'nor' Townsend

Word has it Adebayo Akinfenwa fancies one as well
  • MrOneLung said:

Was going through random old pages and noticed this thread.

As this whole process will take years, there's plenty of time to decide whether to bother or not!
  • My wife's getting hers, through her parents, then our son and I will get ours. Hassle-free entry into Europe once we've left the EU, cheap visas, what's not to like?
  • But will you consider yourself to be an Irish Citizen or still think of yourself as British?

I see see GB has visa free access to 175 countries and Ireland 172.

Obviously those amounts will change in Ireland's favour if the EU imposes visas on us when we leave.
  • Good grief!
  • Sponsored links:

• On my first visit to China in 1993 the visa for a British passport was £40, but for an Irish passport it was £4.