Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Military coup in Turkey?

Comments

• Options

I have no idea really what is happening so no i couldn't say why.

That's never stopped any of us before !!
  • Options
    Just got in. Coup is against Islamisation of Turkey. So I am supporting the coup. But Obama is supporting the government. I am confused.com.
  • Options

I am confused.com.

You're not an insurance price comparison website
  • Options
    Looks like some soldiers have been taken down by the public and being marched through the streets. It's all really strange, especially when you don't know who's controlling the images you're seeing.
  • Options
    The scene showing on CNN is getting a bit tense.
  • Options

Looks like some soldiers have been taken down by the public and being marched through the streets. It's all really strange, especially when you don't know who's controlling the images you're seeing.

Definitely.

The FT is reporting that Gulenists have condemned the coup attempt. It had previously been suggested that Gulenists were behind it.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how much of the EUs policy has to do with this.
  • Options
    http://reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4t1eob/breaking_newsmilitary_coup_in_turkey/d5dtx8p

A nice summary of why this is happening can be found here. This user asked for ELI5 - standing for "explain like I'm five".
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Major implications regionally and especially in terms of Iraq and Syria. If the coup is successful I would expext major Turkish incursions into both.

I'm not sure that I'd agree. While the military could very easily move across their border, it's equally likely that there will be a reduction of Turkish activity.

For example, Erdogan's government has been very keen on supporting a range of rebel groups in Syria (some/many of which are not a million miles away from Nusrah/ISIS in ideology), the military may wish to pull back from this position. Though, in fairness, Turkish forces are already in Iraq, on a "training" mission, and they guard a mausoleum in Syria (there are allegations of Special Forces with rebel groups.

In addition, the military have been sucked back into a counter-terrorist conflict against the Kurds, in a conflict that has largely been restarted because of Erdogan's need to regain political supremacy in the face of a concerted challenge in the last few years, with the growth of the HDP (he had taken for granted support for the AKP).

I could see a situation where both military and PKK (depending on personnel) could take a step back; with the military concentrating instead on sealing the border to ISIS.

However, the coup has a long way to go before it succeeds...
    Perpetually surprised at how many people on here are knowledgeable of foreign affairs.

First, to the suggestions that the US are behind it, ah, it makes me nostalgic for the days of covert US support of coups. We haven't promoted a good Military Junta in a while. It's such a fun word to say, "junta." And when you look at the countries, nothing bad ever happened again in Iran, Vietnam, Chile, Guatemala, Columbia, Nicaragua, Argentina, Cuba, Cuba again but with less success cuz sometimes you need a "do-over," Panama, Laos...Oh.

But to NI's point, right now the US has a LOT of support for Turkey in the efforts against ISIS and in basically looking at Assad and going "yeah we know you're a genocidal cunt, no we've not forgotten, we'll get to you in a bit." They've even stared down Russia on a couple of occasions and then begrudgingly agreeing to get along. They are also, to put it bluntly, absorbing a lot of the refugee problem from Syria and the surrounding areas, and also absorbing a lot of terrorist focus.

It is almost impossible to imagine a more beneficial set-up for the US. This hasn't stopped covert forces in the past from acting against regimes, but our CIA doesn't have that Manifest Destiny approach anymore, at least not so blatantly, and they also lack the power they had up through the '90s.

To @Red_in_SE8's point, publicly, the US has to publicly back the democratically elected official until which-point it becomes clear that the coup will succeed. See: Egypt. Also, the Erdogen government has a less than stellar record on human rights and free press, but they're not exactly the Muslim Brotherhood who, when in power, weren't exactly the Imams of Iran, etc. They're not The Taliban or Al-Qaeda or ISIS. They are more religious in a traditionally secular-ish country.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    WSS said:

NBC reporting that President Erdogan's asylum request has been rejected by the Germans, he is thought to be flying to London

Does this mean another kebab shop in plumstead? Or barbers in Eltham?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not real something to take the piss out of, is it?

Or have we become so immune to tragedy / conflict it's now fair game?

Gallows humour?

• Options
    Well it seems that coup attempt lasted about as long as Charlton fans' hope during pre season that Roly might have changed his ways
  • Options
    Erdogan is an anti democratic, autocratic leader who plays politics by creating division and profiting from bloodshed & misery. Don't know anything about the coup attempt leaders motives but not sure anything good comes from a military coup. I can't see anything good coming from the present situation in Turkey.
  • Options
    Looks like it's failed.
  • Options

WSS said:

NBC reporting that President Erdogan's asylum request has been rejected by the Germans, he is thought to be flying to London

Does this mean another kebab shop in plumstead? Or barbers in Eltham?
    What interest have you got in barbers shops ;0)

• Options
    This coup makes Labour's attempt look well prepared and professionally executed.
  • Options
    Seen videos of soldiers taking a proper kicking. Must be a difficult decision for them to follow orders. What happened if you said no? Now the coups failed, there are government supporters now acting like animals in mobs, handing out beatings.
  • Options

That's the sort of filth we are supposed to welcome into the union, scum that turn helicopter weapons on to unarmed civilians

That force soldiers to obey orders then turn the civilians on to them

Shit country shit political parties in charge

It's exactly why Turkey are nowhere near being allowed into the EU and won't be for a generation.

• Options
    Thats not true though SHG they will be allowed in and it won't be in a generation within the next ten to 15 yrs they will be in, they are not taking refugees for nothing and they are not Pissing assad off for nothing either
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Old fashioned military coups are no match against a population armed with smart phones.

The military coup hand book needs to be updated. As well as taking control of the TV and radio stations you need to disable the mobile telephone masts and the internet hosting servers and cables.
  • Options
    .....The world is going bonkers.
  • Options

Thats not true though SHG they will be allowed in and it won't be in a generation within the next ten to 15 yrs they will be in, they are not taking refugees for nothing and they are not Pissing assad off for nothing either

They're nowhere near getting in to the EU and this sets them back even further. It'll take at least a generation until they come close.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

They're nowhere near getting in to the EU and this sets them back even further. It'll take at least a generation until they come close.
    Hopefully by then, there won't be no 'EU' to join.
  • Options
    Turkey have been applying for membership of the EU since 1987. They are no closer now to joining than they were then, especially after this attempted coup and their current government which is becoming increasingly dictatorial.

The country is miles behind in terms of human rights. There's absolutely no chance we will see them joining the EU.
  • Options
    For all their faults, the EU will never let in a country with such poor human rights and press freedom.
  • Options

That's the sort of filth we are supposed to welcome into the union, scum that turn helicopter weapons on to unarmed civilians

From one of your closest international allies!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

From one of your closest international allies!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Last time I checked I was not the king of England nor the pm

However right at the beginning of what you posted it talks about people armed within or near the group
  • Options

Nothing like a bit of scaremongering eh.