Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Words most people use incorrectly

Comments

• Options
    Colin's favourite there when he means their.
  • Options
    I've noticed that "I mean" has become this generations "you know"
  • Options
    "In many ways" - usually the person saying this can't name more than two.
  • Options
    When my Mrs tells me to do summin and I say No, that appears to be incorrect
  • Options
    Defiantly... more so for people that can't spell definitely though. Quite a different word.
  • Options
    I think people are getting confused with the difference between "incorrect usage" and "second definition/colloquialism". Half these posts just demonstrate a generation gap as opposed to incorrect usage.
  • Options
    Indescribable
  • Options
    Anybody who can't say:

'The wicked cricket critic's gig-whip snapped'

Faultlessly, three times in a row at pace, irritates me.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Anybody who can't say:

'The wicked cricket critic's gig-whip snapped'

Faultlessly, three times in a row at pace, irritates me.

I can't even get passed 'the wicked' bit the first time. Hope that don't ruin what we got Setho
  • Options
    Know and now for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I now you
  • Options

Effect an affect - I still ain't got a bloody clue.

and

:smile:
  • Options
    'Shh, be quite, I'm listening to Katrien who's quiet a good CEO'.
  • Options
    'Dinner' when referring to lunch. Where were these people dragged up ?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Fewer vs less.

BBC journos saying "the data is...." It's a plural word you fuckwits.

The same journos saying "different to" rather than "different from". I'd like to smash them over the head with a rubber mallet while shouting "similar to, different from, get it now moron?"

'Different to' is absolutely fine. Unless the Oxford Dictionary and Jane Austen are 'morons'.
    Maybe, but it still grates. You'd never say "similar from" would you?

Anyway this is what the BBC style guide has to say on the matter:

Different

Say different from (rather than ‘different to’ or ‘different than’).

But then it says this about data:

Data

Strictly a plural - but follow common usage and treat it as a singular, taking a singular verb (eg: Data was collected across the country).

Which I just don't get. You'd never say Charlton play at a stadia so...
  • Options
    The trouble is, people do not know how to talk proper like what I does
  • Options
    Park as in selhurst, Upton, st James etc - they look nothing like a park
  • Options

Effect an affect - I still ain't got a bloody clue.

Effect means outcome, consequence or appearance. To affect means to transform or to change.
    (I've just lifted this from Grammar rules by Craig Shrives)
  • Options
    "Less" used instead of "fewer", as already stated.

"1 in 10 people are left-handed". No! One person in ten *is* left-handed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are instead of our
  • Options
    As stupid and irritating as some of these mistakes (loose/lose, brought/bought etc.) are, I think the OP was referring to getting definitions wrong, as opposed to spelling/grammar mistakes.

Crass - people on this forum love this word but it's rarely used in the correct context.

Shocking - someone recently said on here 'It was shocking, but not surprising'. Sorry, what?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Any word used with the intention of obscuring communication rather than facilitating it. Otherwise it's all good.

On the other hand: "No way! Shut up!" It's always fun to just clamp your mouth shut and refuse to speak again.
  • Options
    Please assist, which is correct?

'I left twenty bricks in my front garden overnight but none were/was stolen'

• Options
    I'm half guessing here but the 'none' refers to a collection, so it's 'were'.

If you said 'not a single one was stolen' then it would be 'was'. But I'm happy to be corrected!

• Options
    I keeping using the word incompetent wrongly with regards to our CEO and Owner-?i thought it meant F---wits who are screwing our club over
  • Options
    Fuckwit.

Implies someone who is attempting wit but fucks it up rather than someone with no wit whatsoever to start with.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Getting "bought" and "brought" mixed up. I instantly judge anyone on the wrong side of this.

A lot depends on how you were bought up.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    IdleHans said:

Please assist, which is correct?

'I left twenty bricks in my front garden overnight but none were/was stolen'

Was.

"None" is a contraction of "not one". So you would be saying "not one was stolen'.