Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Words most people use incorrectly

Comments

• Options
    Cosens said last week "I'm going to a MASSIVE club". Totally threw me, I thought he was going to QPR.
  • Options
    Cosens
  • Options
    Whose vs. Who's
  • Options
    Prescribe (recommend/authorise) and proscribe (forbid/limit).
  • Options

Prostrate gland

Don't talk to me about Prostate glands.
    I think half of the QEH have had their finger up my bum in the last. Year.
    Whatever floats your boat Mick ;0)

• Options

Prostrate gland

Don't talk to me about Prostate glands.
    I think half of the QEH have had their finger up my bum in the last. Year.
    And that's only the window cleaners and tradesmen.
  • Options
    When people use 'me mates' instead of 'my mates'. Excuse me while I find a revolver.

Any time someone uses hyperbolic and extensive words when a simple one would suffice. (<- A good example of hypocrisy, NOT, as some believe, irony.)

I also find grating people that refer to a helicopter's 'propeller' instead of its rotor blades. Come on, people, they're clearly different.

People that pronounce it pro-NOUN-ciation: please stop using the English language at once.

Finally, any American-ism. That includes incorrectly spelling coloUr, valoUr, jewelLery, honoUr and tYre.
  • Options
    "Uninterested" and "disinterested".

For me they are not the same thing, but many use "disinterested" when they mean "uninterested".
  • Options

For me they are not the same thing, but many use "disinterested" when they mean "uninterested".

Who cares ?
    Anyone who is interested!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who cares ?
    and not anyone who's uninterested
  • Options
    Aint done nothing.
  • Options

Who cares ?
    and not anyone who's uninterested
    Nor disinterested
  • Options
    Said this before but when people say 'I don't think' at the end of a negative sentence. Such as 'this isn't going well I don't think'.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Said this before but when people say 'I don't think' at the end of a negative sentence. Such as 'this isn't going well I don't think'.

The taffs very annoyingly put "is it" at the end, on a lot of what they say.
  • Options
    For free
  • Options
    Massive
    Disaster
    Fatal
    Crucial

You get the point, exaggerations.
  • Options
    many of these will feature above, for sure.

Get real.

OMG.

Nuff said.

To be fair

To be honest

You have got to be kidding me

U make me so horny Hun xxx

• Options
    I notice a lot of people using generally in place of genuinely.
    "I generally think that's the case" my Mrs does all the time, but she genuinely ain't gotta clue when it comes to grammar.
  • Options
    Ironic.

It was even used incorrectly in an advert, Citroen I think, about dancing robots, the man in the Citroen factory said "and with delicious irony, this ones doing the robot"

A robot dancing the robot is not ironic.

That bint who's name I can't spell wrote a whole song about irony in the 90's and most of what she calls ironic in the lyrics aren't ironic at all. I suppose that's ironic in itself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you sure she doesn't mean generally? As in most of the time I think that's the case but sometimes I think otherwise?
  • Options

Agreed EA. Disinterested is impartial, whereas the consequence of uninterested is something being boring, uneventful etc. The nuance of the English language is important and worth preserving where possible.
  • Options
    Other examples?

Disassociated v unassociated
    Disappoint v unappoint
    distend v untend

I've run out, the two prefixes are intended for different things.
  • Options

Prostrate gland

That's the one that makes you lie flat on your stomach, yes?
  • Options

brought instead of bought.

cant believe the amount of people who say it............its a different word & has a different meaning entirely

"its" when "it's" is meant, and vice versa.
  • Options

"Like" when used because a person can't string two sentences together.

"Like" as in, for example, "He was, like, hungry". So he wasn't hungry, rather he was in a state similar to being hungry but not actually hungry?
  • Options

'Dinner' when referring to lunch. Where were these people dragged up ?

As a youngster living in a good working class area, we had three meals a day, breakfast, dinner and tea. It was only when I was elevated above the status of my birth by going to a grammar school that I learnt about lunch.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm half guessing here but the 'none' refers to a collection, so it's 'were'.

If you said 'not a single one was stolen' then it would be 'was'. But I'm happy to be corrected!

Consider yourself corrected.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Fewer vs less.

BBC journos saying "the data is...." It's a plural word you fuckwits.

The same journos saying "different to" rather than "different from". I'd like to smash them over the head with a rubber mallet while shouting "similar to, different from, get it now moron?"

'Different to' is absolutely fine. Unless the Oxford Dictionary and Jane Austen are 'morons'.
    Maybe, but it still grates. You'd never say "similar from" would you?

Anyway this is what the BBC style guide has to say on the matter:

Different

Say different from (rather than ‘different to’ or ‘different than’).

But then it says this about data:

Data

Strictly a plural - but follow common usage and treat it as a singular, taking a singular verb (eg: Data was collected across the country).

Which I just don't get. You'd never say Charlton play at a stadia so...
    Indeed, and what if just one datum was collected?
  • Options

Other examples?

Disassociated v unassociated
    Disappoint v unappoint
    distend v untend

I've run out, the two prefixes are intended for different things.

"Disassociated".

It's not a word. It's dissociated.