Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Words most people use incorrectly

1235»

Comments

• I must have this wrong but I can't figure out why commentators on boring football matches inveriably describe them as turgid when flaccid should be used to my mind.
  • arks and not ask
  • many of these will feature above, for sure.

Get real.

OMG.

Nuff said.

To be fair

To be honest

You have got to be kidding me

U make me so horny Hun xxx

Have not heard the last one for a while!
  • arks and not ask

Innit.
  • Star.

As used by various publications to describe people I've never heard of who once appeared on some reality show I've never heard of.

Or as used to describe any of Charlton's players.....
  • Interpretated
  • edited July 2016
    People that say "texts is" because they're incapable of saying the plural of text message without chucking an is on the end.
  • Chizz said:

Other examples?

Disassociated v unassociated
    Disappoint v unappoint
    distend v untend

I've run out, the two prefixes are intended for different things.

"Disassociated".

It's not a word. It's dissociated.
    You can use either I believe.
  • Strategy
  • People being interviewed, normally research scientists, who start the answer to every question with the word 'So'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Other examples?

Disappoint v unappoint
    distend v untend

"Disassociated".

You can, indeed. But only one of them is correct.

;-)
  • Ironic.

It was even used incorrectly in an advert, Citroen I think, about dancing robots, the man in the Citroen factory said "and with delicious irony, this ones doing the robot"

A robot dancing the robot is not ironic.

That bint who's name I can't spell wrote a whole song about irony in the 90's and most of what she calls ironic in the lyrics aren't ironic at all. I suppose that's ironic in itself.

Many years ago Ed Byrne did a great stand-up bit where he dismantles that song line by line and explains how each could be made into an ironic statement.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ed+byrne+ironic
  • Resign and re-sign. People talked about us resigning Roger Johnson in January and it was very misleading
  • edited July 2016
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Other examples?

Disappoint v unappoint
    distend v untend

"Disassociated".

You can, indeed. But only one of them is correct.

;-)
    Hmmm, doubting myself I resorted to looking them up, they both appear in OED and Cambridge dictionaries.
  • 'Dinner' when referring to lunch. Where were these people dragged up ?

As a youngster living in a good working class area, we had three meals a day, breakfast, dinner and tea. It was only when I was elevated above the status of my birth by going to a grammar school that I learnt about lunch.
    I come from a very working class family and we always called the evening meal dinner. To us it was northerners who called it tea.

• Ironic.

It was even used incorrectly in an advert, Citroen I think, about dancing robots, the man in the Citroen factory said "and with delicious irony, this ones doing the robot"

A robot dancing the robot is not ironic.

That bint who's name I can't spell wrote a whole song about irony in the 90's and most of what she calls ironic in the lyrics aren't ironic at all. I suppose that's ironic in itself.

Many years ago Ed Byrne did a great stand-up bit where he dismantles that song line by line and explains how each could be made into an ironic statement.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ed+byrne+ironic
    Nice one mate. Will have a watch

• Pacific for specific.
    Click for clique.
  • My kids being taught to pronounce the letter aitch to sound like haitch, also being taught chimley instead of chimney.
    I informed them on both accounts their teacher is wrong
  • "Undisclosed" instead "a pittance".
  • My kids being taught to pronounce the letter aitch to sound like haitch, also being taught chimley instead of chimney.

I've heard this crap from my brothers' kids. When I was telling them how to spell a word I used the normal letters then they insisted the teacher makes them say the letters phonetically e.g. aah, ber, ker, der, eh, fff, guh etc. What a load of shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Transfer rumours
  • seth plum said:

Pacific for specific.
    Click for clique boom.

• When people use 'me mates' instead of 'my mates'. Excuse me while I find a revolver.

I used to accidentally use "me" sometimes but as it makes my daughter laugh I do it all the time now.

The other day she said to me "daddy, why do you say me instead of my. Is it because you're from the olden days?"
  • When people use 'me mates' instead of 'my mates'. Excuse me while I find a revolver.

I used to accidentally use "me" sometimes but as it makes my daughter laugh I do it all the time now.

The other day she said to me "daddy, why do you say me instead of my. Is it because you're a Scouser?"
  • Aint done nothing.

This literally makes my blood boil.
  • Mispronounced letters....

Haitch
    Jai
    Zee
  • That.

"It was Jimmy 85 that who pointed out this grammatical error."
  • Fiiish said:

My kids being taught to pronounce the letter aitch to sound like haitch, also being taught chimley instead of chimney.

I've heard this crap from my brothers' kids. When I was telling them how to spell a word I used the normal letters then they insisted the teacher makes them say the letters phonetically e.g. aah, ber, ker, der, eh, fff, guh etc. What a load of shit.
    You can't even spell fish.