Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Crofts - now (2021) Brighton U23 manager (p9)

Comments

• Options

O hara would be the son of signing that would make me excited

We signing his Dad? Any good?
    Bloody iPad auto correct
  • Options
    I'm convinced both Buxton and Foley will sign. A goalkeeper (Moore) ? Plus a couple of loans.

All I can say is the loans better be pretty awesome because adding Buxton and Foley to this squad won't cut it.

• Options
    If you believe the current Gk's are good enough to be league players, then you only need an experienced back up just in case. If you believe they are not league material then why the hell do you get rid of 3 goal keepers who were ?????
  • Options
    We probably need two goalkeepers, particularly if one is on loan with the possibility of a recall.
    OHara would be good but as someone else said, OHara, Dawson, Crofts and Jackson is a slow set of midfielders in their 30s.
  • Options
    We won't sign 2 keepers. We'll sign a senior keeper and Phillips will be back up.
  • Options
    We are sooooooo fucked.
  • Options

We won't sign 2 keepers. We'll sign a senior keeper and Phillips will be back up.

Wasn't Dillon Phillips expecting to go on a season long loan back to Cheltenham Town, newly promoted back to League 2 ?
    Very highly rated there, after an excellent season in their title winning 1st team.

• Options
    edited July 2016

We are sooooooo fucked.

That is probably the best summary of the situation
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    seth plum said:

Part of yesterday's initial reaction to Crofts signing was influenced by the announcement of Henderson leaving on a free transfer. The Croft announcement hard on the heels of Henderson leaving may be coincidental, but it looked to me yesterday that the regime were embarrassed by the Henderson situation and were throwing out a crumb.
    I have only seen a little of Croft when I have consciously paid attention to his game, and he may turn out to be OK. May be more of a Mark Bowen in his impact, than a Mark Gower.
    I could be wrong about the events of yesterday, but we may well have something like the signing of Buxton to distract from the departure of Lookman for instance.
    Croft starts with a clean slate (but Rojo has previous!).

Crofts has come to play football. He's not on bail for manslaughter.
  • Options

O hara would be the sort of signing that would make me excited

HaHa really ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

O hara would be the sort of signing that would make me excited

HaHa really ?
    Quite frankly I don't think Bob gives a damn :smiley:
  • Options

Even if we signed Dawson and O'Hara once again we're without a creative centre midfielder who's actually going to bring the ball up the pitch.

Dawson's more creative than Cousins, more of a footballer.
  • Options

Really pleased with Crofts the last 2 games I've seen. Hard worker who puts in a shift, a player which for the opposition is a nightmare to have, an in ya face player.

Wasn't too happy on Saturday, but definite improvement last night ... positive signs.
  • Options

Really pleased with Crofts the last 2 games I've seen. Hard worker who puts in a shift, a player which for the opposition is a nightmare to have, an in ya face player.

He's a rock and instead of chasing after the ball will just stand there and let the player run into him
  • Options
    Works hard and a lot goes unnoticed. ...
    Very solid..
  • Options

He's basically the opposite of Ba - nothing spectacular but he's composed, has a good first touch and pass, makes good decisions, but is hardly blusterous in midfield. Exactly the kind of player we need to get out of this league in my opinion.

Spot on.
  • Options

He's basically the opposite of Ba - nothing spectacular but he's composed, has a good first touch and pass, makes good decisions, but is hardly blusterous in midfield. Exactly the kind of player we need to get out of this league in my opinion.

Albeit as long as he is supported/paired with players who do spectacular - or try it at least. Water carriers are vital, but so are hoses.*

*I am not entirely 100% convinced that this analogy works.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crofts rated very highly by our youngster Hanlan in the programme
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Albeit as long as he is supported/paired with players who do spectacular - or try it at least. Water carriers are vital, but so are hoses.*

*I am not entirely 100% convinced that this analogy works.
    Wouldn't sprinklers be a better choice?
  • Options
    Genuinely believe he is going to be a very good player for us this season. Cannot guarantee Diarra or Kashi being fit when they're back and he's comfortable on the ball and tackles well. Personally like him and would do very well with a box to box/creative midfielder next to him. Although we looked better with Jackson in middle with him yesterday which was positive at least.
  • Options
    Yes he played well last night & Jacko was decent as well. A massive turnaround from Cheltenham last week, where they were both truly awful. It shows what a lack of a decent pre season does.
  • Options

Yes he played well last night & Jacko was decent as well. A massive turnaround from Cheltenham last week, where they were both truly awful. It shows what a lack of a decent pre season does.

Crofts, Foley, JJ, and Holmes played in just about all of pre-season, and looked incredibly pedestrian (with the exception of Holmes) throughout.

I think Crofts should be better than how he played in preseason and the first couple games, and playing alongside Foley and in front of RoJo and Pearce (neither good on the ball) doesn't help, but does he have the range of passing and vision to create from midfield at this level? It's fine if not, but it means that he will be a holding/shielding midfielder who is better than average at bursting forward. At the end of the day we still need a midfielder who can either get up and back, or who has vision and range of passing to create, or ideally both.
  • Options
    Noticed against Shrewsbury that he has a tendency to get pretty deep when we're defending, part of the reason they got a bunch of pop shots off from the edge of the box 2nd half. Not too concerning, but adds to argument that he needs more of a harrier next to him.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Scoham said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/23254/exclusive-charlton-athletic-midfielder-triggers-contract-extension/

SLP saying he's triggered a contract extension after playing a certain number of games.

Good... We need experience in the side and even if its coming on from the bench he's certainly someone with bucket loads - Despite not having a great season I wouldn't say he's been awful and would be happy to see him staying.
    I'm lukewarm on him but he has experience and we will need squad depth next season with all the players we're losing. Plus, people like you FA, who watch the team more regularly, seem to feel he's improved/worthy of an extension.

For most of his career he was not a natural holding midfielder, and OYB's post from August rings very true for much of the season. He tended to back off and go missing when he was asked to sit in front of the back four. He was awful/non-existant against Swindon, for example. But it sounds like under Robinson, and having two midfielders around him, he has grown into the role more. If he can get better at linking midfield and defense he could be a real asset.