Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Crofts - now (2021) Brighton U23 manager (p9)

Comments

• Options
    He will be made captain and will be asked to tutor the young players around him during games.
    Now that his contract extension has been triggered it will be put to Robinson that we don't need an experienced midfielder any more. Wasn't something similar put to Slade when Diarra was still on the books?
  • Options
    Underwhelmed
  • Options
    oh joy!
  • Options
    He's a decent player and is good enough to be part of a promotion team in my opinion.

We're a long way off that now, but I think he offers plenty of experience and enough quality for this league. Quietly pleased we'll have him next season.
  • Options
    I'm hearing rumours the contract extension is for 4 years on £15K p/w. No way KM was going to risk losing him at the end of the season. :smile:

Maybe he will get a coaching role instead of playing. With Barker leaving we are a little short.
  • Options

He's a decent player and is good enough to be part of a promotion team in my opinion.

We're a long way off that now, but I think he offers plenty of experience and enough quality for this league. Quietly pleased we'll have him next season.

I think his performance in the last few games suggest he can certainly do a job for us
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I think his performance in the last few games suggest he can certainly do a job for us
    I'd say that I've generally been 'pro-Crofts' most of the season, but I think people are generally coming around to him now.

His passing distribution is the main thing, he does put himself about and makes tackles as well - all in all I think they're a key thing to have in a balanced team.

He never ever dribbles, and my main criticism is that he sits too deep when we're off the ball and it invites pressure. I'd pop him the deepest in a midfield 3 and see how it goes... I've missed a couple of games lately but perhaps that's what KR's done recently and it's got a bit more out of him?
  • Options

Noticed against Shrewsbury that he has a tendency to get pretty deep when we're defending, part of the reason they got a bunch of pop shots off from the edge of the box 2nd half. Not too concerning, but adds to argument that he needs more of a harrier next to him.

Oops, broken record... :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a decent game at Chesterfield. Not his biggest fan but as already said he brings some experience to the midfield.
  • Options
    I've never really been sure each game what his role is, not sure he knows sometimes either.

We know he's not a winger, we know he's not an attacking midfielder, so that pretty much leaves him as a holding midfielder, his tackling is hit and miss, his distribution is equally hit and miss. For all Crofts experience Aribo is a better player after about 20 pro games compared to Crofts 400+ even if he does make the odd naive mistake.

I'm sure for next season he didn't fit into Robinsons 1.3.2.4. formation or whatever he's trying next, on that basis I doubt had there been a decision to be made Robinson would have kept him.

That said, he puts in a shift, doesn't hide which is a start, but unlike say a youngster coming through who will improve its games, thats unlikely to happen here and probably the opposite.

So thats probably 5% of the wage bill available taken up........
  • Options
    I think he is a below average Div 1 midfield player but at least he does not shirk or hide, just gives the ball away too much or passes sideways. Maybe he will mentor Aribo a bit.
    I can't see us going up with JF-C and Crofts in the same midfield.
  • Options
    Getting deep is the role of the modern CDM. He drops in and basically forms a back 3 with him as the sweeper who brings the ball out of defense. This is to enable the fullbacks to get forward more.

It's particularly common in formations that don't have natural wingers more 'inside forwards' such as Karl's favoured 4231 or formations where instead of wingers we pack the CM area such as a 442 diamond.
  • Options
    Darel Russell also played in central midfield that season, on loan. Hollands that season faded after becoming a father, while Dale wasn't that brilliant either
  • Options
    Great news. I might be his biggest fan.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Where would he fit into the 11/12 squad? He'd be no more than a back up player, and the closest player you could compare him to would be Andy Hughes.

Correct. Similar to Hughes. But Hughes still had a role to play in that season. He played 13/14 games plenty off the bench but was important in shoring us up at the end of tight matches. He also started a few games alongside Hollands when Stephens was injured and brought the best out of Hollands (in my view). We saw the best of Hollands the creator and attacker then. He also played a key role as a senior player off the pitch Powelly has credited him a lot for that!

Take him out that season and would we have one the league? No one knows. But he played a part in our success.

If Crofty can do similar then brilliant.

One of our biggest criticisms of the regime has been no squad depth. This is someone who will provide depth and backup from the bench. I can't complain with that.

If however the squad is left short and he is playing every match and starting lots then I can see reason theory complain there.
    Largely agree that he could do a Hughes-type role in a successful season - probably a slightly different player in that he's a bit more mobile and creative. But also lacking the defensive qualities and consistency that Hughes had.

Seems like one of the standout characters in our current crop too. If we have the players to keep him out the first XI it'll be a very good sign. Share the concern that this is probably unlikely though because our budget won't allow for a 'proper' squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like him. I know we all see things very differently but I think he does a lot of the work that you would not necessarily notice or appreciate. Thought he had a good game at Chesterfield and he certainly cares about this club. The fight Slade had to get him in against the wishes of the regime appeals too.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    People are forgetting that we are in League One I think... would he get into most teams or squads in this division? The answer to that is a yes.

He is limited, but unless you're someone like Lookman who is young and going to clearly leave the club, or Holmes who has developed later in his career, that's what most players are in this league.

I wouldn't have him as a starter, but someone on the bench or as a squad player, what's the harm in that? We have been moaning we have a squad which is either small or not very experienced. Just because he is going to be here next year doesn't mean he will be a starter.

A good player and character to have around in League One in my opinion.
  • Options
    I doubt he is going to get any better/quicker as he gets older - Brighton fans were already saying he was past his best when they brought in Dale Stephens.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I thought Freddie was the better midfielder when Robbo came in, but he preferred Croft. He then played some good games and then fell away a bit which made me think he had a bit of an injury?

What I do like about him is that he is a SCP sort of player. Honest, hard working, and a team player. We need a good squad and not just a 1st team. Pleased he is on board.

Those are the attributes i see in him. Wouldn't mind having those and a few more but as we can't afford (well Roland can but he won't) to be picky I'm ok with him staying.
  • Options
    It's that time of year again where we have to judge the merit of each individual signing before we have seen the full squad assembled. As @cantersaddick says he has potential to be an old head around the place and provide some experienced and reasonably reliable cover and depth. He also provides a bit of continuity around the place - something there hasn't been enough of recently, imho.

That is, however, reliant on him being cover and not a key first choice player. We've been saying similar things about Jacko for a few seasons, but each summer our midfield recruitment has been inadequate and we've ended up over reliant on him and, for all his extremely admirable qualities, we've suffered because no team is genuinely successful without a good midfield. It's no qcoincidence that the one half decent season we've had since this rabble bought the club was when we had Buyens and Cousins who were a midfield pairing genuinely up to the standard of the league we were in at the time, but both of them fell into the regimes lap via Liege and our academy. We haven't scouted a bought another good one since.

However, it's the close season (effectively anyway) so like every year I live in hope that this year will be different to the last, but I won't hold my breath.

None of that is Crofts' fault though. He seems an honest pro trying his best with the ability he has. We've had a couple of managers in the last 20 years who did some great things with squads full of that type of player, so in that sense I'm far happier with a Crofts than a Watt. And I've given up trying the judge just how good players are while they are playing here as we've had so many charltonised on arrival and decharltonised on departure that performance here seems be mutually exclusive of talent shown at other clubs.
  • Options
    All the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place and the stars aligning as we begin our charge to 16th place next season.....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

All the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place and the stars aligning as we begin our charge to 16th place next season.....

I do love a relegation scrap....
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scoham said:

Where would he fit into the 11/12 squad? He'd be no more than a back up player, and the closest player you could compare him to would be Andy Hughes.

I think Andy Hughes brought much, much more to the side that Crofts does. I don't remember Hughes ever giving the ball away. He was 32 and, in reality, his best days were behind him but despite his limits at that stage of his career he never put a foot wrong and hardly played in a losing side.

I've just looked into the two players stats and on the basis that Crofts played 44 league games the season Norwich finished 2nd in the Championship I'm going to accept that he can pay in a successful team if he has the right players along side him. If we could find a Wes Hoolahan at the peak of his career to play alongside Crofts I'd fancy us to have a decent midfield.

Still prefer him to be nowhere the first team though.
  • Options
    I don't think Hughes would have looked as good had he been a regular all season. He was also in a very strong team that had a way of playing that suited them.