Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Orient (pre-season friendly) Match Thread 23/7/16

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Interesting interview with Slade post Orient
    https://audioboom.com/boos/4853229-full-reaction-cafc-russell-slade-gives-his-assessment-of-the-goalless-draw-with-lofc

Wants 5 or 6 new players at least and says we're miles away from being ready. Playing too many kids in pre season.

A good interview, in which RS was pretty candid. He is clearly worried about the current paucity of our playing resources - let's hope his words don't fall on deaf ears.
  • Options
    Yep. The centre midfielder we bring in will be key for me as to how we play next season. That is where I would spend most of the budget. We need a captain type figure who can dictate play and add some desperately needed creativity.
  • Options
    Also said he'd like Foley and Buxton to join the squad, but we're balancing finances. Which if you're being positive may suggest those 5/6 are top players for this league in the Holmes/Novak/Ajose mould and take priority over the freebies.
    Or you might think he's being told he can't actually have that promotion pushing squad after all.
  • Options
    Based on that we will be hard working, tough to break down but with zero creativity. GK and RB look ok but clearly more players needed. Novak looks about 20 lbs overweight, played like it too.
  • Options
    RS should talk to some on here who know better. Pre season means nothing and we will be fine come the season.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I like what I hear from Russell Slade. But will he get a ticking off from her ladyship, like Dave Lockwood did, for being too honest?
  • Options
    That was shit. Crap performance crap midfield we are fucked.
  • Options
    Listening to that interview it sounds like he is up against it already . I think he now realises that he really has taken on a poison chalice .
    Good luck Russel you are going to need it.
  • Options

Listening to that interview it sounds like he is up against it already . I think he now realises that he really has taken on a poison chalice .
    Good luck Russel you are going to need it.

Yup, I like the guy but the best thing he could do for us now is to resign and show the footballing world what a fuck-up our management team and owners are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, that's why I tell myself every year not to bother with pre-season friendlies!

Konsa looked a good athlete and grew into the game after a few wayward passes early on.

Hanlan looks as though he could really blossom into a player, very quick and direct.

Harriet is still exactly the same as last year, hits row z in the first half when well positioned, pretty anonymous and moaning (although to be fair most balls were hit in the air to him) and then out of nothing he hits a cracking shot that the keeper did well to save.

Holmes looks neat and tidy and will hopefully settle in to the team, Novak battled well but had little chance in front of goal.

Ollie Muldoon did ok and was always ready to accept the ball, not ready yet though.

To be fair to him, Roger the old codger made a couple of great blocks, but the sooner Bauer gets fit the better.

Best thing of the afternoon was the new shirt, I like it!
  • Options
    Just listened to the interview and was expecting him to perhaps sound more down than that.

He interviews well and sounds surprisingly upbeat. If he doesn't get the 5/6 he wants then obviously that may change.

I actually think 6 is the minimum we need.

Goalkeeper

Right Back Cover

Attacking CM

Out and Out Winger

X2 Strikers

In an ideal world you'd add a centre back as well.

• Options
    Dreadful game. Dull as ditchwater with very worrying lacks of both skill and appetite. Sure, it was only a pre-season friendly and it was a hot day, but we are so far off fielding a side fit for League Two, let alone League One, it what beggars belief what's gone on in the past month or so. Man of the match was Orient's goalkeeper Alex Cisak who made a couple of unnecessarily acrobatic saves when simple catches would have sufficed which at least gave the impression that there was something to get excited about, even though there never was. No-one else on either side is worthy of a mention.

This afternoon was the most bored I have been since I spent three hours waiting in A&E with my mother-in-law's sceptic finger. The only good thing to come out of that match was a sense of relief that I won't have a season ticket this year. Pity the poor mugs who were suckered into buying them though. I fear they have a lot of pain ahead of them.
  • Options

Just listened to the interview and was expecting him to perhaps sound more down than that.

He interviews well and sounds surprisingly upbeat. If he doesn't get the 5/6 he wants then obviously that may change.

I actually think 6 is the minimum we need.

Goalkeeper

Right Back Cover

Attacking CM

Out and Out Winger

X2 Strikers

In an ideal world you'd add a centre back as well.

I'd say there's more chance of a CB than 2 strikers whilst Lookman is still here. We will only bring in 2 if he leaves.

Agree 100% with all the other suggestions though.
  • Options
    Reckon at least three of those six will eventually come from the loan market and will arrive once the season has begun
  • Options
    One of my fears with Slade is that he speaks very well, knows what to say, but how is he organizing a team? It's all well and good moaning that you don't have the players, but what has he done to develop the players we do have? A handful are clearly not up to scratch but from the sounds of things and watching the last two pre season matches we don't have patterns of play or ways to attack. We look nervous in possession and just lump it forward a lot. We play a very flat 4-4-2. Yes we'll probably be hard to break down, but I don't think that's going to be enough to win the league. As @seth plum pointed out very wisely, we have to hope that the way we play a flat 4-4-2 with long balls is better than how all the other sides in the division do it.

As an aside, and not laying this all on Slade, this is my problem with The British Manager. So much of it is about getting more players in, wheeling and dealing, and so on. There is far less focus on coaching and tactics, and working with what you have. Obviously in this case Slade absolutely needs more players of better quality. But simply focusing on that instead of how we want to be playing via coaching is an outdated way of doing things.
  • Options
    So where were all those hundreds and hundreds of people going after the match? Loads of birds carrying hula hoops and stuff. Very odd.
  • Options

by the way, why isn't lookman playing, is he injured or on the way out?

He's was with England U19s until Tuesday so wouldnt have returned to Sparrows Lane till Wednesday at the earliest so he's either going to be well behind with his pre-season or just wasnt quite ready for today
    If he's been playing competitive games for England over the past 10 days then surely he's ahead of the rest of our squad in terms of pre season, not well behind?
  • Options

Reckon at least three of those six will eventually come from the loan market and will arrive once the season has begun

The window of opportunity for loans is drastically reduced this year. They need to have done their business well before then.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

So where were all those hundreds and hundreds of people going after the match? Loads of birds carrying hula hoops and stuff. Very odd.

Noticed that too, was it one of those secret cinema things, they all get dressed up don't they? Some terrible beat boxing going on in that park by the stadium too, not that I would know if it was any good or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Orient (1 of 3)
    Very hospitable of Orient to name their bar after us. Also hospitable to give free teas to the crowd.

Orient (2 of 3)
    This sign is apparently a leftover from Orient's Mooney-Lisbie era.

Orient (3 of 3)
    Ineptitude from the officials as well was the players. Here the assistant ref has to put on a second top. Did no-one tell them that we were playing black?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Orient (1 of 3)
    Very hospitable of Orient to name their bar after us. Also hospitable to give free teas to the crowd.

Orient (2 of 3)
    This sign is apparently a leftover from Orient's Mooney-Lisbie era.

Orient (3 of 3)
    Ineptitude from the officials as well was the players. Here the assistant ref has to put on a second top. Did no-one tell them that we were playing black?

It's pre-season for the referees as well
  • Options
    2x keepers
    1x RB
    1x CB
    2x CM
    2x wingers
    1x striker

9 needed if we are to compete and that assumes no more leave. Won't happen though. Said something similar last pre season and got loads of lols at saying the squad was not big enough.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Off_it said:

Noticed that too, was it one of those secret cinema things, they all get dressed up don't they? Some terrible beat boxing going on in that park by the stadium too, not that I would know if it was any good or not.
    It was embarrassing just walking past. Did nobody tell then they weren't ready to sing in the bath, let along in public.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the beach volleyball going on the other side of the park?

Nobody has mentioned it so I'm guessing not.

Presume @DaveMehmet is still there watching it and giggling though.
  • Options
    vff said:

I like what I hear from Russell Slade. But will he get a ticking off from her ladyship, like Dave Lockwood did, for being too honest?

Yep, a bit of honesty about the state of things did for Riga the first time, Peeters and Luzon who after expressing publicly that more investment were needed, were fired shortly afterwards. Duchatelet expects his head coaches to work within the budgets he sets and not complain. I doubt Duchatelet will appreciate Slade being quite so honest.

Good to hear Slade not to sugarcoat where Charlton are as a team and squad though. I like the way he spoke and what he said about youth and knowing the right time to bring them in. He was honest and upfront about the need for more players and depth if Charlton are going to challenge at the upper levels of the table.
    Yep, see Henderson, they aren't keen on staff that don't fall in with the party line.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I luv chart on
  • Options

Slade must be gutted. Accepted we are miles away from where we need to be only two weeks away from kick off.

Why ? We've had weeks full in the knowledge of where we need to be. We are incompetent to the point of comedy. Top six squad my arse.

Do yourself a favour Russell and jump ship ASAP. No one will blame you. You seem a decent sort. Put it down to experience. You've been sold a pup. No disgrace.

As for Duchatelet and Meire. Do one.

Just watched his post match on YouTube. His body language says it all. Knows he is in a battle with the powers that be. He will either win the battle or be sacked in 6 months as I can't see him bottling it up.
  • Options

Slade must be gutted. Accepted we are miles away from where we need to be only two weeks away from kick off.

Why ? We've had weeks full in the knowledge of where we need to be. We are incompetent to the point of comedy. Top six squad my arse.

Do yourself a favour Russell and jump ship ASAP. No one will blame you. You seem a decent sort. Put it down to experience. You've been sold a pup. No disgrace.

As for Duchatelet and Meire. Do one.

Now that REALLY would put the crap amongst the pigeons....