Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just invested in Zynex shares to show my support for Sandgaard... Fingers crossed for Zynex's growth! 

Not sure when you made the investment but two large rises in two days.

Big tech and alternative energy bounceback overnight, though still down overall this year.
  • Options
    Salad said:
    I've been drip feeding some recent pension money into a Fidelity Investment ISA, various funds, not even half way to allowance yet, have to put in, wondering whether to put it into cash and increase drip feeding or if any fund types are a good bet to spread some of it around right now - any thoughts appreciated.
    Both Equity & Bonds have dropped over the past 6 weeks - my SIPP is down by around 6% since the start of February. If you want to maximise your ISA allowance before April 5th then no harm in putting money in now  so no need to drip feed. 

I'm actually up about 2% since Feb, but that was in part taking profit out of some of the US/BG funds but also two share holdings of Tullow Oil and Go Ahead had risen considerably so did very well for me.
  • Options
    @golfaddick. Hope you are well. How have you been assessing and managing portfolios of late? Have you held to current products or rebalanced?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @golfaddick. Hope you are well. How have you been assessing and managing portfolios of late? Have you held to current products or rebalanced?
    Very good question  !!

It's been very tricky of late. Over the last 6 months I've been rebalancing client portfolios quite a bit (lockdown meaning I was at home more & not out seeing clients). Before xmas it was mostly trimming holdings in US equities (BG American being the main one that had grown exponentially) and re-weighting holdings in UK equities. However, the US has come off quite a bit (esp BG American) and losses in that area haven't been good. To compound the problem the recent falls in Bonds have now led me needing to look at where else money CAN go if I need to move money out of top heavy equity portfolios. A couple of my favourite Bond funds (Allianz Strategic and Vanguard Long Dated Gilt) have lost around 10% since the start of Feb.......although this past week have shown some signs of recovery and the above 2 funds have clawed back half of those loses.

It's a hard nut to crack. I tell my clients that they should have a well diversified portfolio, with Equities for growth and Bonds for security, and that when one asset class falls another will rise. The past month has shown that not to be true & I'm now even doubting myself as to where money should be at the moment. I think the main thing to take from it all is that you have to be looking at the long term (5 years+) and that as long as you have a portfolio that broadly matches your attitude for risk then everything should be just fine. Over that time period (from the referendum to now) my clients portfolios are averaging 8%-10% on a 60/40 asset split basis, so I dont think they can be too unhappy seeing as we've had 3 general elections, Brexit, Trump & a Pandemic during that time.
    S&P 500 ETF's are doing reasonably well. The 500 Started the year at 3,700 and currently around 3,950, that's where I've moved a lot of my US from the likes of BG to, that I wanted to still keep in the US (about 50% of initial holding).

Like you I've also put some into bonds and have also moved some into Vanguards Lifestyle funds 60/80 and I do think Gold is undervalued and topped up some in the UK funds and a bit in Asia.

I'd be down a couple fo % probably this year if it wasn't;t for Go ahead, Tullow Oil and a couple of others. Am trying not to fiddle too much but do find it hard when I see 30-40% growth in some funds over a relatively short period not to bank some of that profit, glad I did that with the US one's a while back.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2021
    I’ve recently taken out 1/3 of my holding in BG but really not sure where to put it. Just left it in cash at the moment.

Probably could just leave it as I don’t really care for the next 20 years but trying to become a bit more ‘scientific’ about it all at the moment.

Just doesn’t seem anywhere obvious to throw it in.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Very good question  !!

It's been very tricky of late. Over the last 6 months I've been rebalancing client portfolios quite a bit (lockdown meaning I was at home more & not out seeing clients). Before xmas it was mostly trimming holdings in US equities (BG American being the main one that had grown exponentially) and re-weighting holdings in UK equities. However, the US has come off quite a bit (esp BG American) and losses in that area haven't been good. To compound the problem the recent falls in Bonds have now led me needing to look at where else money CAN go if I need to move money out of top heavy equity portfolios. A couple of my favourite Bond funds (Allianz Strategic and Vanguard Long Dated Gilt) have lost around 10% since the start of Feb.......although this past week have shown some signs of recovery and the above 2 funds have clawed back half of those loses.

It's a hard nut to crack. I tell my clients that they should have a well diversified portfolio, with Equities for growth and Bonds for security, and that when one asset class falls another will rise. The past month has shown that not to be true & I'm now even doubting myself as to where money should be at the moment. I think the main thing to take from it all is that you have to be looking at the long term (5 years+) and that as long as you have a portfolio that broadly matches your attitude for risk then everything should be just fine. Over that time period (from the referendum to now) my clients portfolios are averaging 8%-10% on a 60/40 asset split basis, so I dont think they can be too unhappy seeing as we've had 3 general elections, Brexit, Trump & a Pandemic during that time.
    Really interesting post. Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Thanks @golfaddick. Interesting summary of the current situation and challenges. 

Last year I backed myself with increased capital for investments which I've reduced of late. Being at home and able to monitor high growth pickings on a daily basis is an opportunity I won't and probably don't want in 2021. As you say, it's hard to know where to invest at present, what with such a fuzzy short term outlook. This comes with personal finance planning of what you would like to achieve in other areas of life over these possible exciting or uncertain years.

The higher bond yields/inflation concern/correction in tech really showed the value of a balanced portfolio. Even for the sale of YTD losses being minimised. Let's see what this week brings! 
  • Options
    Like many on here I suspect, I got on board the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund about 6 months ago. And it's been an enjoyable ride. So far.

Last week I got an e-mail from Aegon saying Premier had announced that they were going to start applying an initial 5% charge to investments in all the share classes of the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund. Does that mean they are going to go back to the old dual buy/sell pricing? If not, if you still buy through a discount broker will you still have to pay that charge?

I also noticed that from today they have increased their on-going charge from 0.91% to a large 1.66%.

Are they trying to stop people investing in the fund - as they don't want to take too much money - or just getting greedy because of the success of their fund? 
  • Options
    Like many on here I suspect, I got on board the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund about 6 months ago. And it's been an enjoyable ride. So far.

Last week I got an e-mail from Aegon saying Premier had announced that they were going to start applying an initial 5% charge to investments in all the share classes of the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund. Does that mean they are going to go back to the old dual buy/sell pricing? If not, if you still buy through a discount broker will you still have to pay that charge?

I also noticed that from today they have increased their on-going charge from 0.91% to a large 1.66%.

Are they trying to stop people investing in the fund - as they don't want to take too much money - or just getting greedy because of the success of their fund? 
    It was I that mentioned that fund on here & I also got an email from my SIPP provider stating the initial charge change. I'm going to dig a little deeper on this & will contact Premier about what it actually means - assuming that going forward any new dealings in the fund will be (like you said) on a bid/offer basis. Wont be too bad for anyone already in as it shouldn't impact too much, but will probably put me off recommending it for any new clients. 
  • Options

I'm in the Premier Portfolio Managers Miton UK Growth fund via ii - nothing on that fund yet re charges that I can see.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I'm in the Premier Portfolio Managers Miton UK Growth fund via ii - nothing on that fund yet re charges that I can see.
    It's only that 1 fund I believe......which makes me think that @Fortune 82nd Minute might be right about trying to fleece punters who are piling into a very good fund.
  • Options
    I have a bit of cash sitting in Fidelity ISA, any funds worth dipping into or best to wait a few more weeks?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Salad said:
    I have a bit of cash sitting in Fidelity ISA, any funds worth dipping into or best to wait a few more weeks?
    wait for what exactly......?   No-one has a crystal ball that can tell you if markets are going to crash next week or are suddenly going to rise.  I can tell you one reason why you might want to go in now rather than wait & that is if you want to use up this years ISA allowance because you want to put in £20k next tax year as well. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Anyone interested in the Deliveroo IPO? I am considering it... Would appreciate the sage views of those on here. 

I don't view it as one of the gimmicky things like the Brewdog crowdfunding etc, it seems fair. 
  • Options
    sorry, it is in an ISA, just get the feeling not a good time to invest in much at the moment
  • Options
    Salad said:
    sorry, it is in an ISA, just get the feeling not a good time to invest in much at the moment
    Well, if that's how you feel then do nothing. As I said, no-one can tell you when its the right time to invest. "Time in the market" rather than "timing the market" is what they say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Salad said:
    I'm a know-nothing, but feel the same as you. US market just feels so over-valued, that it has far more down-side than up-side at the moment.
    My logic is, no matter what the Fed is saying, the valuations seem to be hinging on 10 year treasury yields which despite a few up down days, seem to be on a pretty steady rise. Stimulus are now pretty much in the rear view mirror, so can perhaps expect some short-to-mid term growth from covid re-opening, but there are surely grey clouds on the horizon, whether they be this year or next.
  • Options
    Salad said:
    I'm a know-nothing, but feel the same as you. US market just feels so over-valued, that it has far more down-side than up-side at the moment.
    My logic is, no matter what the Fed is saying, the valuations seem to be hinging on 10 year treasury yields which despite a few up down days, seem to be on a pretty steady rise. Stimulus are now pretty much in the rear view mirror, so can perhaps expect some short-to-mid term growth from covid re-opening, but there are surely grey clouds on the horizon, whether they be this year or next.
    Just trickle the money in over the next 6-9 months.

Huskaris said:
    Anyone interested in the Deliveroo IPO? I am considering it... Would appreciate the sage views of those on here. 

I don't view it as one of the gimmicky things like the Brewdog crowdfunding etc, it seems fair. 
    Yes been looking at that, think it's worth a punt, minimum £1500 I think I read.
  • Options
    Minimum on Deliveroo is £250
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Haven’t they turned over hundreds of millions but still can’t make a profit? Also when we reopen I don’t think they’re gonna continue to have as much business. It’s a no from me. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Salad said:
    Just trickle the money in over the next 6-9 months.

Huskaris said:

Yes been looking at that, think it's worth a punt, minimum £1500 I think I read.
    £1,000 is the max through their customer offer. 

£250 is min.

Huskaris said:

Haven’t they turned over hundreds of millions but still can’t make a profit? Also when we reopen I don’t think they’re gonna continue to have as much business. It’s a no from me. 
    Often the case for tech companies I guess eg Facebook/Twitter but you're right it is crazy. Regarding less business once everything opens up, I agree, looks like they have picked the golden time for their IPO!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

That's the punt. It really does depend on whether or not Covid changes habits permanently. It will in part I'm sure and business levels will continue to be well above pre-Covid levels, but not sure it justifies an £8bn valuation.

It's a no from me, also.
  • Options
    Virtus Energy, a company which PV is involved with, are looking for crowd funding soon. They are involved with the charging of electric vehicles.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:

That's the punt. It really does depend on whether or not Covid changes habits permanently. It will in part I'm sure and business levels will continue to be well above pre-Covid levels, but not sure it justifies an £8bn valuation.

It's a no from me, also.
    It's a difficult one, but I think that they are building things now that will make them resilient post pandemic. The fact that so many supermarkets have signed up will be a big part of its resilience going forward in my opinion.

I do completely agree that it is a tough one though!

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:

It's a no from me, also.
    It's a difficult one, but I think that they are building things now that will make them resilient post pandemic. The fact that so many supermarkets have signed up will be a big part of its resilience going forward in my opinion.

at £250 etc isn't never going to lose or make you loads.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:

It's a no from me, also.

at £250 etc isn't never going to lose or make you loads.
    I'm going for the full £1k  B)