Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:
    Anyone interested in the Deliveroo IPO? I am considering it... Would appreciate the sage views of those on here. 

I don't view it as one of the gimmicky things like the Brewdog crowdfunding etc, it seems fair. 
    Haven’t they turned over hundreds of millions but still can’t make a profit? Also when we reopen I don’t think they’re gonna continue to have as much business. It’s a no from me. 

That's the punt. It really does depend on whether or not Covid changes habits permanently. It will in part I'm sure and business levels will continue to be well above pre-Covid levels, but not sure it justifies an £8bn valuation.

It's a no from me, also.
    It's a difficult one, but I think that they are building things now that will make them resilient post pandemic. The fact that so many supermarkets have signed up will be a big part of its resilience going forward in my opinion.

I do completely agree that it is a tough one though!

at £250 etc isn't never going to lose or make you loads.
    I'm going for the full £1k  B)
    So you might lose £250 or make £250  :D
  • Options
    I think the Deliveroo business model will be fine, and they'll do well in a world of Zone one jobs moving to Zone 6. People will still want stuff delivered for lunch etc.

Suspect we’ll see a run of UK tech firms IPO’ing in the next couple of years, some juicy Fintech will go in 2022/23 I reckon
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Anyone interested in the Deliveroo IPO? I am considering it... Would appreciate the sage views of those on here. 

I don't view it as one of the gimmicky things like the Brewdog crowdfunding etc, it seems fair. 
    I think it's definitely worth a punt and would myself but (unfortunately) I work for Bridgepoint (a Private Equity company) who own a big chunk of Deliveroo so I'm not allowed to.  I have a question for @golfaddick though on Stocks and Shares ISAs.  I already am maxed out on my cash ISA and also put £10k into a Stocks and Shares ISA.  If its gone down in value during the year (which it has) can I top it up to £10k again before the end of the tax year!?
  • Options
    You can choose whether you want to invest the whole lot in to one type of ISA, or whether you want to split the allowance between different types. However, even if you choose to split ityou can't invest more than a total of £20,000 across the different types.
  • Options
    You can choose whether you want to invest the whole lot in to one type of ISA, or whether you want to split the allowance between different types. However, even if you choose to split ityou can't invest more than a total of £20,000 across the different types.
    That's what I've done - split it.  The stocks and shares ISA has reduced in value to less than £10k.  I'm guessing that its the value of the initial investment...if it goes down because the stocks invested have gone down - then it's no longer a £10k investment.  I was wondering if I could top it up again...but I'm guessing not.
  • Options
    No you can't.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    That's what I've done - split it.  The stocks and shares ISA has reduced in value to less than £10k.  I'm guessing that its the value of the initial investment...if it goes down because the stocks invested have gone down - then it's no longer a £10k investment.  I was wondering if I could top it up again...but I'm guessing not.
    As CE says you can't it's what you pay In not value, but only a few weeks until the new tax year. Which reminds me, today I could my annual tax statement as to where my 19-20 tax went, depressing!
  • Options
    Any recommendations for a reputable balanced fund? I have some money left over from annual bonus and want to invest. Not looking for exceptional return, just something slow and steady. Was looking at some Blackrock and Vanguard passive funds but so much choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jamescafc said:
    Any recommendations for a reputable balanced fund? I have some money left over from annual bonus and want to invest. Not looking for exceptional return, just something slow and steady. Was looking at some Blackrock and Vanguard passive funds but so much choice. 
    If you want easy, the Vanguard Lifestrategy are pretty good. The 80% one is probably best longer term.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    I would look at the sustainable funds from either Liontrust or Royal London. Both do a range of multi asset funds that are in the top 10 in their relevant sectors (ABI Mixed Investment  - 40%-85% or 20%-60%). Active funds & have great long term track records. Might pay a bit extra in AMC but the long term returns will be so much higher than a passive fund.

Or  Baillie Gifford Managed. Does what it says on the tin. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    jamescafc said:
    If you want easy, the Vanguard Lifestrategy are pretty good. The 80% one is probably best longer term.
    I find the lower equity funds from Vanguard better - the 20% & 40% equity ones are pretty good for a passive fund. Their higher equity ones not so. Probably because an active fund manager can get greater returns from equities than you can with Bonds. ie, the range of returns from Bonds is not as great as the range of returns from equities. Bonds might return + or - 10% and equities + or - 100%.
  • Options
    Thanks all, very helpful
  • Options
    Has anyone heard of, or used, True Potential Investors?  Online platform for investments including pensions.  Have been recommended to me as a pension platform and just wondering if anyone has any experience of them. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Has anyone heard of, or used, True Potential Investors?  Online platform for investments including pensions.  Have been recommended to me as a pension platform and just wondering if anyone has any experience of them. 
    Nope, seen an article some where a while back, quite expensive by the looks of it.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Platform charge is 0.4% if you go through an IFA (no idea what it is if you go direct). Old Mutual is the same at the lower end (below £25k) once above £25k its 0.2%. Most of my clients are with Aegon (ex Cofunds) and pay between 0.18% and 0.26% depending on how much they have invested. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Rob7Lee & @golfaddick. They’ve been been recommended by an IFA as that firm have just stopped giving advice on leaving DB schemes. They do the initial investigative work, understand your reasoning and prepare a file for TP. They then have the final say on whether they believe what you are doing is correct.  I know a lot of advisors have come out of that market recently given the very obvious concerns of the regulator and the rising PI premiums. 

This deal means that the IFA take a £3k fee, which comes from TP themselves. No additional costs from TP and no fees if I then decided to move.  

My circumstances are such that I fully understand the benefit of the DB Scheme (which I have 24 years service in and DC then for the last 13 years), but taking the transfer value and investing makes more sense.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    TelMc32 said:
    Thanks @Rob7Lee & @golfaddick. They’ve been been recommended by an IFA as that firm have just stopped giving advice on leaving DB schemes. They do the initial investigative work, understand your reasoning and prepare a file for TP. They then have the final say on whether they believe what you are doing is correct.  I know a lot of advisors have come out of that market recently given the very obvious concerns of the regulator and the rising PI premiums. 

This deal means that the IFA take a £3k fee, which comes from TP themselves. No additional costs from TP and no fees if I then decided to move.  

My circumstances are such that I fully understand the benefit of the DB Scheme (which I have 24 years service in and DC then for the last 13 years), but taking the transfer value and investing makes more sense.  
    Well that changes things massively. In that case TP aren't just acting as a platform but as the advice giver as well. Not sure with the new rules that TP can pay anyone a fee for your business, especially not with regard to a DB transfer. TP might be able to pay your IFA an "introducer" fee but you will certainly have to pay for the advice given, whoever is giving it.

The FCA stance on all DB transfer now is that the starting point should always be that its not in your best interests & the "adviser" has to go above & beyond to show that it is. Even you being an "insistent client" doesn't wash anymore. If the computer says NO then that's it, the adviser firm cant help you.

I decided not to take the DB transfer course & exams, mainly because 90% of my clients work in the NHS and can't transfer out even if they really wanted to. Our firm has 2 levels of advice on this area. The first is a triage phase where a DB adviser will have a look at the numbers for you to see what's what before going down the route of getting valuations /comparison etc etc. That costs £750. If you then want to take it further the fee is % based with a minimum of £5k (the £750 would be deducted from that). This fee has to be paid even if the advice at the end of the day is to stay put. The FCA is very clear on this. The is no "contingent charging" anymore.

I would say that £3k is pretty cheap so just be careful as to what you are actually (not) paying for. O would say that the the platform charge is the least of your worries.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Thanks @golfaddick. I appreciate that and understand the FCA stance as well. As a single man, with no dependants, my pension would simply stop/go back to the bank when I pass. This gives me the chance to bequeath to my sister & her kids, which I couldn’t do staying in the bank scheme.

I’d lose a large chunk of the DB pension if I wait til I am 60, rather than looking to finish at 55 after 37 years.  I also get a lot more freedom on taking a lump sum, which I don’t really need at the moment, other than to potentially invest in a separate pot to the remaining pension. But I could also stagger that over several years, whereas I only get one choice/one time by staying where I am. 

I appreciate also that I may well still get turned down. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Thanks @golfaddick. I appreciate that and understand the FCA stance as well. As a single man, with no dependants, my pension would simply stop/go back to the bank when I pass. This gives me the chance to bequeath to my sister & her kids, which I couldn’t do staying in the bank scheme.

I’d lose a large chunk of the DB pension if I wait til I am 60, rather than looking to finish at 55 after 37 years.  I also get a lot more freedom on taking a lump sum, which I don’t really need at the moment, other than to potentially invest in a separate pot to the remaining pension. But I could also stagger that over several years, whereas I only get one choice/one time by staying where I am. 

I appreciate also that I may well still get turned down. 
    Don't get me wrong - I agree with you & given your circumstances a flexible Drawdown pension would be very good for you. In these cases I always say to clients that what you are trading is security & certainty for flexibility. No more no less. In your situation I would do the same. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 I did the same as what you want to do last year. I had a DB scheme from a bank which was deferred. Also being single with no dependants and some medical conditions I wanted to have control of the pot so I could leave it to relatives and also have more freedom of how I drawdown. Also no IHT if I die before 75. Was advised that starting point is not to transfer but they agreed with my position after looking at the scheme, my risk profile. I also transferred some private pensions at the same time cost approx 5k but have made that back in the last year.
  • Options
    Just read back one of my comments and, just for clarity, what I should should have said is that I would “lose a large chunk of my DB pension UNLESS I wait until I am 60...”
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Only if you take pension from  bank, if you transfer then you can normally drawdown from 55. So a reason to transfer
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Just read back one of my comments and, just for clarity, what I should should have said is that I would “lose a large chunk of my DB pension UNLESS I wait until I am 60...”
    Same with most DB schemes that have a NRD of 60 or 65. The old 1995 NHS scheme you lose around 4%pa for very year you take before 60. So taking it at 55 you'd lose around 20%......and around 15% from the lump sum. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Same with most DB schemes that have a NRD of 60 or 65. The old 1995 NHS scheme you lose around 4%pa for very year you take before 60. So taking it at 55 you'd lose around 20%......and around 15% from the lump sum. 
    Yep. Another reason to want to leave the scheme. Really don’t fancy another 5 years 😏 I only ever intended staying 6 months 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    Only if you take pension from  bank, if you transfer then you can normally drawdown from 55. So a reason to transfer
    Yep, sorry. I just corrected the first part of my comment. The second part was me acknowledging this as a reason to leave the scheme.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    TelMc32 said:
    Bloody hell, I spent ages trying to work that out and as a retired financial adviser I wasn't going to ask and look stupid :smile:
    I seriously thought I had forgotten too much and was well out of touch.
  • Options
    Deliveroo took a kicking on day 1 didn't it!