Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Yup, glad I never got around to it in the end, although it's picking up a bit now.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yup, glad I never got around to it in the end, although it's picking up a bit now.
    Still think long term it's a decent business, but seems overvalued at the moment. if Freetrade or Trading 212 would let me at them at this price I would get in on them. 

More interested in when the likes of OakNorth, Starling, Revoult and Monzo float 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Deliveroo took a kicking on day 1 didn't it!

as I said before, simply don’t think it’s a good investment, turning over hundreds of millions at next to zero profit, it will only take one scandal to throw the company into a perilous position. Having said that, Uber and Tesla don’t record profits and are decent stocks, so what do I know? I just don’t think Deliveroo are an Uber or tesla. 
  • Options
    Deliveroo has a lot more competition I suppose. 

Uber Eats will be slowly eating away at its market share. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Still think long term it's a decent business, but seems overvalued at the moment. if Freetrade or Trading 212 would let me at them at this price I would get in on them. 

More interested in when the likes of OakNorth, Starling, Revoult and Monzo float 
    It's on Freetrade now
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    When @Rob7Lee said I could make or lose around £250, I didn't realise he meant in one bloody day!
    I'm not usually knowingly wrong, just ask over on the HoC board  :D
  • Options

Itl have far more competition in a few weeks, when we are allowed out to eat again. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    shine166 said:

Itl have far more competition in a few weeks, when we are allowed out to eat again. 
    exactly, their market share will go down regardless. No way we're suddenly going to transition to just not going to restaurants, it's not going to happen - even if it did, restaurants will shut down which will shrink the products deliveroo can offer. 

Just a bad investment short/medium term imo.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

exactly, their market share will go down regardless. No way we're suddenly going to transition to just not going to restaurants, it's not going to happen - even if it did, restaurants will shut down which will shrink the products deliveroo can offer. 

Surely it makes more sense to buy wetherspoons shares at this point, or Costa etc 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Surely it makes more sense to buy wetherspoons shares at this point, or Costa etc 
    Unless there's another variant not easily handled by the vaccines which would suggest lockdown may become semi-permanent!
  • Options
    Makes more sense to forget about buying individual shares, unless you are talking about £100 or so and can afford to lose it all.

There's a reason why 95% of people invest in collectives.
  • Options
    Hertfordshire and Essex winners of the million pound Premium Bond pay outs this month. Oh well hopefully £25 tomorrow  :/
  • Options
    Makes more sense to forget about buying individual shares, unless you are talking about £100 or so and can afford to lose it all.

There's a reason why 95% of people invest in collectives.
    Risk and reward, same reason I buy btc and not premium bonds. 
  • Options
    Like many on here I suspect, I got on board the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund about 6 months ago. And it's been an enjoyable ride. So far.

Last week I got an e-mail from Aegon saying Premier had announced that they were going to start applying an initial 5% charge to investments in all the share classes of the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund. Does that mean they are going to go back to the old dual buy/sell pricing? If not, if you still buy through a discount broker will you still have to pay that charge?

I also noticed that from today they have increased their on-going charge from 0.91% to a large 1.66%.

Are they trying to stop people investing in the fund - as they don't want to take too much money - or just getting greedy because of the success of their fund? 
    It was I that mentioned that fund on here & I also got an email from my SIPP provider stating the initial charge change. I'm going to dig a little deeper on this & will contact Premier about what it actually means - assuming that going forward any new dealings in the fund will be (like you said) on a bid/offer basis. Wont be too bad for anyone already in as it shouldn't impact too much, but will probably put me off recommending it for any new clients. 
    Did you find any more on this Golfie if you don't mind sharing? Would appreciate your insight
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Like many on here I suspect, I got on board the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund about 6 months ago. And it's been an enjoyable ride. So far.

Last week I got an e-mail from Aegon saying Premier had announced that they were going to start applying an initial 5% charge to investments in all the share classes of the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund. Does that mean they are going to go back to the old dual buy/sell pricing? If not, if you still buy through a discount broker will you still have to pay that charge?

I also noticed that from today they have increased their on-going charge from 0.91% to a large 1.66%.

Are they trying to stop people investing in the fund - as they don't want to take too much money - or just getting greedy because of the success of their fund? 
    It was I that mentioned that fund on here & I also got an email from my SIPP provider stating the initial charge change. I'm going to dig a little deeper on this & will contact Premier about what it actually means - assuming that going forward any new dealings in the fund will be (like you said) on a bid/offer basis. Wont be too bad for anyone already in as it shouldn't impact too much, but will probably put me off recommending it for any new clients. 
    Did you find any more on this Golfie if you don't mind sharing? Would appreciate your insight
    Sorry I didn't - been too busy with end of tax year stuff. Clients ringing me this afternoon having problems logging onto their online banking apps to make a payment wanting me to sort it. This after  having given them a couple of weeks notice about the last day I'd be around to help them.... 🙄.

Interesting facts out today for the first quarter. BG UK & US funds have generally lost money over the past 3 months, average around 8%.....whereas some investment firms are showing some decent returns. Value v growth seemed to be the reason, with the former winning out - BG funds are mostly in the latter camp. UK equity income seems to be making a recovery too. Some funds up close to 10% since the start of the year. Bonds & Gilts still dragging down portfolios - my SIPP is about even since January, but has lost 5% since mid Feb. Currently thinking about getting out of BG American & BG Discovery - too overweight in tech & other "bubbles". 
  • Options
    2 x £25 for me this month
  • Options
    5x£25 for Mrs Chaz, 2x£25 for junior and the usual bugger all for me. :'(
  • Options
    £25 for me, nothing for Mrs R7L but father in law 3x£25, he's so lucky.
  • Options
    £25 this month, the same as last month with £35k PB less.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £50 for me, zero for the wife, £50 for my Mum, £25 for mother in law
  • Options
    4 x £25 today. 
  • Options
    £25
  • Options

I think I can answer that one for you. It was as I suspected - they wanted to put people off investing in the fund. See -https://www.premiermiton.com/funds/premier-miton-uk-smaller-companies-fund-premier-miton-investors/

It is somewhat ironic that since introducing the new charge, the fund has taken a bit of a hit!
  • Options

Sorry I didn't - been too busy with end of tax year stuff. Clients ringing me this afternoon having problems logging onto their online banking apps to make a payment wanting me to sort it. This after  having given them a couple of weeks notice about the last day I'd be around to help them.... 🙄.

Interesting facts out today for the first quarter. BG UK & US funds have generally lost money over the past 3 months, average around 8%.....whereas some investment firms are showing some decent returns. Value v growth seemed to be the reason, with the former winning out - BG funds are mostly in the latter camp. UK equity income seems to be making a recovery too. Some funds up close to 10% since the start of the year. Bonds & Gilts still dragging down portfolios - my SIPP is about even since January, but has lost 5% since mid Feb. Currently thinking about getting out of BG American & BG Discovery - too overweight in tech & other "bubbles". 
    Very interesting - surprised others haven't picked up on this.

There is no doubt about it, the performance of many BG funds over the past couple of months has been very poor. Will that under performance continue? That's the 64,000 dollar question that I suspect no-one really knows. (And the funds did have 2 really good days before Easter.) 

I'm probably going to stick with both the American & Global Discovery for the moment. The one I'm seriously considering getting out of is the Positive Change one. Largest holding in that is now Tesla at 7.8% which seems a bit risky at the moment to me (and surprising given that BG has reduced its holdings in Tesla in its other funds).

If you do get out of BG American & Global Discovery, I'd appreciate if you'd let us know.
  • Options
    I withdrew from BG a few months back (late Jan), effectively took out my original investment and kept the profit, following my old mantra of never a bad time to take a profit (and quite a big one)
  • Options
    Naff all for me or the wifey 
  • Options
    £25 for me lowest for long time
  • Options

Very interesting - surprised others haven't picked up on this.

There is no doubt about it, the performance of many BG funds over the past couple of months has been very poor. Will that under performance continue? That's the 64,000 dollar question that I suspect no-one really knows. (And the funds did have 2 really good days before Easter.) 

I'm probably going to stick with both the American & Global Discovery for the moment. The one I'm seriously considering getting out of is the Positive Change one. Largest holding in that is now Tesla at 7.8% which seems a bit risky at the moment to me (and surprising given that BG has reduced its holdings in Tesla in its other funds).

If you do get out of BG American & Global Discovery, I'd appreciate if you'd let us know.
    I've been a bit surprised by this sell-off of BG funds by some of the thread's bigger beasts. Looks to me a bit like a baby exiting along with some bathwater apparently polluted by too much tech. As I've said before, there will be many other funds we all hold which will have holdings of tech stocks which are currently underperforming. But identifying which funds they are, and how much they hold of those tech stocks is disgracefully difficult. I certainly agree that its a good time to trim back tech stocks, but I'm starting with my two tech-specific investment funds (Allianz and Polar Capital). With such funds you can set a sell target price, which is so far looking good for me. If only we were allowed to do this with unit trusts. And why the hell can we not? AS for BG I'm holding. I'm only a recent buyer, but the reasons I bought remain in place, and I'd rather seek out and sell some other funds which may have some holdings in bloody Tesla they neglected to tell me about  ;)

The sell target thing can wind you up a bit though, if you watch it too much. I set the targets about 3 weeks ago, expecting tech stocks to come back a bit. This they've done and that triggered my first sale of Polar Capital at 2250. I have another one set at 2300. About 20 minutes ago it got to 2299, and then dropped back, its now on 2292 :s . aaargh! But I believe it will get there, certainly if Wall St opens higher it will today.
  • Options
    A quick pension question if I have a defined benefit pension and a SIPP. My understanding is the yearly amount to be paid by the  defined benefit pension will be multiplied by 20 to calculate towards the lifetime allowance. If that was £400k and I had £400k in the SIPP could I tax the entire tax free sum of £200k from the SIPP and keep the full defined benefit pension? 

Thanks for any advice