Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Like many on here I suspect, I got on board the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund about 6 months ago. And it's been an enjoyable ride. So far.

Last week I got an e-mail from Aegon saying Premier had announced that they were going to start applying an initial 5% charge to investments in all the share classes of the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund. Does that mean they are going to go back to the old dual buy/sell pricing? If not, if you still buy through a discount broker will you still have to pay that charge?

I also noticed that from today they have increased their on-going charge from 0.91% to a large 1.66%.

Are they trying to stop people investing in the fund - as they don't want to take too much money - or just getting greedy because of the success of their fund? 
    It was I that mentioned that fund on here & I also got an email from my SIPP provider stating the initial charge change. I'm going to dig a little deeper on this & will contact Premier about what it actually means - assuming that going forward any new dealings in the fund will be (like you said) on a bid/offer basis. Wont be too bad for anyone already in as it shouldn't impact too much, but will probably put me off recommending it for any new clients. 
    Did you find any more on this Golfie if you don't mind sharing? Would appreciate your insight
    Sorry I didn't - been too busy with end of tax year stuff. Clients ringing me this afternoon having problems logging onto their online banking apps to make a payment wanting me to sort it. This after  having given them a couple of weeks notice about the last day I'd be around to help them.... 🙄.

Interesting facts out today for the first quarter. BG UK & US funds have generally lost money over the past 3 months, average around 8%.....whereas some investment firms are showing some decent returns. Value v growth seemed to be the reason, with the former winning out - BG funds are mostly in the latter camp. UK equity income seems to be making a recovery too. Some funds up close to 10% since the start of the year. Bonds & Gilts still dragging down portfolios - my SIPP is about even since January, but has lost 5% since mid Feb. Currently thinking about getting out of BG American & BG Discovery - too overweight in tech & other "bubbles". 
    Very interesting - surprised others haven't picked up on this.

There is no doubt about it, the performance of many BG funds over the past couple of months has been very poor. Will that under performance continue? That's the 64,000 dollar question that I suspect no-one really knows. (And the funds did have 2 really good days before Easter.) 

I'm probably going to stick with both the American & Global Discovery for the moment. The one I'm seriously considering getting out of is the Positive Change one. Largest holding in that is now Tesla at 7.8% which seems a bit risky at the moment to me (and surprising given that BG has reduced its holdings in Tesla in its other funds).

If you do get out of BG American & Global Discovery, I'd appreciate if you'd let us know.
    I've been a bit surprised by this sell-off of BG funds by some of the thread's bigger beasts. Looks to me a bit like a baby exiting along with some bathwater apparently polluted by too much tech. As I've said before, there will be many other funds we all hold which will have holdings of tech stocks which are currently underperforming. But identifying which funds they are, and how much they hold of those tech stocks is disgracefully difficult. I certainly agree that its a good time to trim back tech stocks, but I'm starting with my two tech-specific investment funds (Allianz and Polar Capital). With such funds you can set a sell target price, which is so far looking good for me. If only we were allowed to do this with unit trusts. And why the hell can we not? AS for BG I'm holding. I'm only a recent buyer, but the reasons I bought remain in place, and I'd rather seek out and sell some other funds which may have some holdings in bloody Tesla they neglected to tell me about  ;)

The sell target thing can wind you up a bit though, if you watch it too much. I set the targets about 3 weeks ago, expecting tech stocks to come back a bit. This they've done and that triggered my first sale of Polar Capital at 2250. I have another one set at 2300. About 20 minutes ago it got to 2299, and then dropped back, its now on 2292 :s . aaargh! But I believe it will get there, certainly if Wall St opens higher it will today.
    For me it was more just banking some of the profit and redistributing, when you have a handful of funds making 30-40% in under a year I'm just rebalancing (I became to overweight in the US and to a degree tech). When I sold BG American I was up 48%, Positive change about 40%.

My next one is Chelverton UK, that's up 43% having invested some back in July and a bit more in November. Spread across it was an average buy of £2.50, now nudging £3.60. Time to take some profit!
  • Options
    A quick pension question if I have a defined benefit pension and a SIPP. My understanding is the yearly amount to be paid by the  defined benefit pension will be multiplied by 20 to calculate towards the lifetime allowance. If that was £400k and I had £400k in the SIPP could I tax the entire tax free sum of £200k from the SIPP and keep the full defined benefit pension? 

Thanks for any advice
    Golfie is probably your man, but yes you certainly used to be able to do that, but worth checking that nothing has changed rules wise as I haven't looked into that for some years and may depend on the type of DB scheme as to if any is protected etc.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    A quick pension question if I have a defined benefit pension and a SIPP. My understanding is the yearly amount to be paid by the  defined benefit pension will be multiplied by 20 to calculate towards the lifetime allowance. If that was £400k and I had £400k in the SIPP could I tax the entire tax free sum of £200k from the SIPP and keep the full defined benefit pension? 

Thanks for any advice
    Golfie is probably your man, but yes you certainly used to be able to do that, but worth checking that nothing has changed rules wise as I haven't looked into that for some years and may depend on the type of DB scheme as to if any is protected etc.
    Thanks Rob7Lee i have a little way to go. I was thinking of looking to exit the defined scheme if I was allowed to by FCA (I think it’s them happy to be corrected if not) but most advice is not too. There are pro’s and cons I am looking at all options. 

just know I won’t be investing in shares with my track record anything I touched turned to rubbish,RBS, Telewest and the Just Group come to mind. 
  • Options

Thanks for any advice
    Unless there are any pension experts on here, I suggest you contact The Pension Advisory Service by webchat/telephone or e-mail.  They offer a free information and guidance service: -

pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for any advice
    Thanks Rob7Lee i have a little way to go. I was thinking of looking to exit the defined scheme if I was allowed to by FCA (I think it’s them happy to be corrected if not) but most advice is not too. There are pro’s and cons I am looking at all options. 

just know I won’t be investing in shares with my track record anything I touched turned to rubbish,RBS, Telewest and the Just Group come to mind. 
    Many have exited DB schemes, me being one back in 2014 and so far it's done very well for me doing so but helped by the high multiplier Barclays were paying to release you/them at that time. But you'd certainly need to take advice as it's not right for everyone plus there is a cost for a report etc. There's no harm in getting a transfer value from the scheme and then talking to an advisor so you know what's what.

Buying individual shares is risky, better sticking to funds, ETF's etc.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for any advice

Many have exited DB schemes, me being one back in 2014 and so far it's done very well for me doing so but helped by the high multiplier Barclays were paying to release you/them at that time. But you'd certainly need to take advice as it's not right for everyone plus there is a cost for a report etc. There's no harm in getting a transfer value from the scheme and then talking to an advisor so you know what's what.

Just got my numbers from Barclays as well.  Wish I had done it sooner, but determined now to retire this year. 
  • Options
    Like many on here I suspect, I got on board the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund about 6 months ago. And it's been an enjoyable ride. So far.

Last week I got an e-mail from Aegon saying Premier had announced that they were going to start applying an initial 5% charge to investments in all the share classes of the Premier Miton UK Smaller Companies Fund. Does that mean they are going to go back to the old dual buy/sell pricing? If not, if you still buy through a discount broker will you still have to pay that charge?

I also noticed that from today they have increased their on-going charge from 0.91% to a large 1.66%.

Are they trying to stop people investing in the fund - as they don't want to take too much money - or just getting greedy because of the success of their fund? 
    It was I that mentioned that fund on here & I also got an email from my SIPP provider stating the initial charge change. I'm going to dig a little deeper on this & will contact Premier about what it actually means - assuming that going forward any new dealings in the fund will be (like you said) on a bid/offer basis. Wont be too bad for anyone already in as it shouldn't impact too much, but will probably put me off recommending it for any new clients. 
    Did you find any more on this Golfie if you don't mind sharing? Would appreciate your insight
    Sorry I didn't - been too busy with end of tax year stuff. Clients ringing me this afternoon having problems logging onto their online banking apps to make a payment wanting me to sort it. This after  having given them a couple of weeks notice about the last day I'd be around to help them.... 🙄.

Interesting facts out today for the first quarter. BG UK & US funds have generally lost money over the past 3 months, average around 8%.....whereas some investment firms are showing some decent returns. Value v growth seemed to be the reason, with the former winning out - BG funds are mostly in the latter camp. UK equity income seems to be making a recovery too. Some funds up close to 10% since the start of the year. Bonds & Gilts still dragging down portfolios - my SIPP is about even since January, but has lost 5% since mid Feb. Currently thinking about getting out of BG American & BG Discovery - too overweight in tech & other "bubbles". 
    Very interesting - surprised others haven't picked up on this.

There is no doubt about it, the performance of many BG funds over the past couple of months has been very poor. Will that under performance continue? That's the 64,000 dollar question that I suspect no-one really knows. (And the funds did have 2 really good days before Easter.) 

I'm probably going to stick with both the American & Global Discovery for the moment. The one I'm seriously considering getting out of is the Positive Change one. Largest holding in that is now Tesla at 7.8% which seems a bit risky at the moment to me (and surprising given that BG has reduced its holdings in Tesla in its other funds).

If you do get out of BG American & Global Discovery, I'd appreciate if you'd let us know.
    I've been a bit surprised by this sell-off of BG funds by some of the thread's bigger beasts. Looks to me a bit like a baby exiting along with some bathwater apparently polluted by too much tech. As I've said before, there will be many other funds we all hold which will have holdings of tech stocks which are currently underperforming. But identifying which funds they are, and how much they hold of those tech stocks is disgracefully difficult. I certainly agree that its a good time to trim back tech stocks, but I'm starting with my two tech-specific investment funds (Allianz and Polar Capital). With such funds you can set a sell target price, which is so far looking good for me. If only we were allowed to do this with unit trusts. And why the hell can we not? AS for BG I'm holding. I'm only a recent buyer, but the reasons I bought remain in place, and I'd rather seek out and sell some other funds which may have some holdings in bloody Tesla they neglected to tell me about  ;)

The sell target thing can wind you up a bit though, if you watch it too much. I set the targets about 3 weeks ago, expecting tech stocks to come back a bit. This they've done and that triggered my first sale of Polar Capital at 2250. I have another one set at 2300. About 20 minutes ago it got to 2299, and then dropped back, its now on 2292 :s . aaargh! But I believe it will get there, certainly if Wall St opens higher it will today.
    I did chuckle seeing my earlier post!

About the time I was writing that, Tesla announced its Q3 sales. These were higher than the "experts" had predicted. Cue champagne and doubles all round, with one "respected" sage predicting that Tesla shares were on their way up from their current $690 to $1000! And in fact Tesla shares went up by about 4.5% on Monday (when Wall Street was trading) and were up a little yesterday as well.

Ignore my previous musings. Buy, buy, buy BG Positive Change!
  • Options

Thanks for any advice
    DB schemes have different rules that apply to them and in some cases, a cash element is part of the scheme and you do not have a choice but take the minimum amount offered, with an option to increase that amount if you wish to.

Also your comment about the Annual pension x20 being the figure used to calculate value against the lifetime allowance is correct. So a £20,000 pension x20 = £400,000 against the allowance. However, if you asked your Pension trustees for a valuation it is very unlikely to be £400,000. Depending on the current economic climate and other factors, you could be offered 30 times your pension as a valuation so in real terms worth £600,000 as a Transfer value. If you then moved that sum, that would count against lifetime allowance, not the £400,000. As the £400,000 is a calculation that only applies to you staying in the DB scheme and taking the pension. 

I had a DB scheme and a separate AVC although within the same scheme. When I retired I took all the AVC as my 25% cash and did not take anything from the actual DB pension. I would think that the same option should also apply to a separate SIPP. 

Again this is my understanding of the schemes. I am not a financial advisor or pension expert. An pension scheme rules vary. The suggestion to talk to PensionWise is sound advice, or talk with a professional. I’m just throwing you snippets of my knowledge.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for any advice

Just got my numbers from Barclays as well.  Wish I had done it sooner, but determined now to retire this year. 

Good luck Tel.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Thanks for any advice
    Sorry, bit late to the party on this one but I'll try to answer the best I can. 

Firstly your DB scheme. If you take pension benefits from the Scheme then at the point of taking them (known as a crystallisation benefit event) the annual income is multiplied by 20 for LTA purposes. If there is any tax free lump sum taken at the same time then that is factored in too. So, £20k pa = £400k. If say there was a £60k lump sum then total figure for LTA purposes would be £460k. This is then calculated in percentage terms against the LTA. So £460k / £1080000 (approx figure of LTA) is 42.5%. This means you have 57.5% of the LTA remaining to be used against your SIPP. As mention above though, any Transfer value is likely to be much higher than the 20x figure and so you definitely need this figure before even contemplating what to do. 

Onto your Sipp. When you come to take benefits from this it will then be subject to another LTA check &(assuming nothing has changed to LTA limits) you can crystalise the remaining 57.5% without any excess tax charge.

However.

The tax free element from your SIPP is limited to 25% of the value of your SIPP and not 25% of your LTA. 

However (part 2)

The 25% tax free element IS limited to 25% of the LTA when taking benefits from a DB scheme. I have clients with DB schemes that when calculated are in excess of the LTA. Even though they can comutate income for a larger lump sum they cant take more than £270k (£1,080,000 x25%) as a TOTAL lump sum regardless of where its coming from. I have a few clients who have private pensions of £200k + that they cant access the tax free element without incurring a 55% tax charge as they have already taken their DB schemes & are over the LTA.

I would advise ANYONE who has DB schemes & private pensions that look like they will be approaching the LTA to take advice well before they start thinking about taking any benefits from either schemes as timing could well be key in making sure you can access as much  tax free cash as possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Came on here to say that it's the  third day in a row the FTSE100 has gone up. Now above 6900 & up almost 3% on the week. Also been a bounce in US funds & BG funds starting to rise again. 
  • Options
    Came on here to say that it's the  third day in a row the FTSE100 has gone up. Now above 6900 & up almost 3% on the week. Also been a bounce in US funds & BG funds starting to rise again. 
    All looking good, my SIPP's at an all time high again!
  • Options
    It's all quite strange but happy for my daily wfh output that the markets aren't as volatile as Q1. 
  • Options
    Got some absolute shocking shares in my sipp, my Dad has always done the dealing for my brother and me but his health has gone downhill massively in last couple of years and now dementia is setting in so I am now looking taking it over, due to going through a divorce which was finalised last August never really thought much about it, however I haven't the time to to buy and sell individual shares and also due to the fact there really is fuck all in the sipp, I have transferred the ones that were in profit or had a little loss to AJ Bell growth fund, however I have a couple of stocks showing a loss of about a grand each Lloyds and Icap, but some also horror's Costain down about £5k and Esken down about £2k, and when you only have about £38k in there that is a massive loss, really after some advice due to the fact they are that much down, should I let them ride or take the hit, also I bought some Walmart shares the day I took it over , about £2k and they have gone up 7% in about a month , but wondering whether to flog them and put them in the fund and just let someone else do all the investing for me now. I know this is a small amount but my ex worked for Asada so we took the sharesave every year and were accumalating a tidy amount which was basically a retitement fund until she couldn't keep her knickers on.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Got some absolute shocking shares in my sipp, my Dad has always done the dealing for my brother and me but his health has gone downhill massively in last couple of years and now dementia is setting in so I am now looking taking it over, due to going through a divorce which was finalised last August never really thought much about it, however I haven't the time to to buy and sell individual shares and also due to the fact there really is fuck all in the sipp, I have transferred the ones that were in profit or had a little loss to AJ Bell growth fund, however I have a couple of stocks showing a loss of about a grand each Lloyds and Icap, but some also horror's Costain down about £5k and Esken down about £2k, and when you only have about £38k in there that is a massive loss, really after some advice due to the fact they are that much down, should I let them ride or take the hit, also I bought some Walmart shares the day I took it over , about £2k and they have gone up 7% in about a month , but wondering whether to flog them and put them in the fund and just let someone else do all the investing for me now. I know this is a small amount but my ex worked for Asada so we took the sharesave every year and were accumalating a tidy amount which was basically a retitement fund until she couldn't keep her knickers on.
    If you have no experience or inclination of share trading then my advice (as an IFA) is to just get rid of them all & put the money into a decent balanced managed fund. Yes, you might lose on a few but this could be made up by the gains made in the managed fund. Also, who's to say the shares won't fall further & the losses get bigger. Waiting for individual shares to go back to what you paid for them is a mugs game......unless you know what you are doing.

Consolidate now & move on. Once done you might want to take advice on the new fund (or funds) - but that is a conversation for another time.

Ps. Are you sure it's a Pension & not an ISA or a general investment account  ?
  • Options
    Agree with Golfie, get rid of those two and put them in a decent fund or two.

Re Walmart and buying shares in general. It's really not worth buying individual shares in just a couple of £k. What dealing fee's are you paying? It's likely it's costing you 1.5% of the value to buy and sell them so you pretty much need a 2% swing upwards to break even.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Has anyone/everyone been credited with their PSB winnings for April yet?
    Obviously I haven't, probably due to losing 2 working days for easter.
  • Options
    I am still waiting for my £25
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Re Walmart and buying shares in general. It's really not worth buying individual shares in just a couple of £k. What dealing fee's are you paying? It's likely it's costing you 1.5% of the value to buy and sell them so you pretty much need a 2% swing upwards to break even.

What I was wondering though was am I going to make back £7k by adding £2300k back into a fund, Esken was previously Stobart and seem to own regional airports obviously the last year has hit them hard and was wondering once restirctions are lifted whether this would have a much more positive effect of price, again Costain share price fell 75% in one day last year, seems they have had a major restructure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you have no experience or inclination of share trading then my advice (as an IFA) is to just get rid of them all & put the money into a decent balanced managed fund. Yes, you might lose on a few but this could be made up by the gains made in the managed fund. Also, who's to say the shares won't fall further & the losses get bigger. Waiting for individual shares to go back to what you paid for them is a mugs game......unless you know what you are doing.

Consolidate now & move on. Once done you might want to take advice on the new fund (or funds) - but that is a conversation for another time.

Ps. Are you sure it's a Pension & not an ISA or a general investment account  ?

Deffo a sipp golfie, I have a scottish widows stocks and share isa that had for about 18 years now, just putting £60 a month into.Although stopped for a year whilst divorce was going through.
  • Options
    Mine is showing as a upcoming transaction.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

What I was wondering though was am I going to make back £7k by adding £2300k back into a fund, Esken was previously Stobart and seem to own regional airports obviously the last year has hit them hard and was wondering once restirctions are lifted whether this would have a much more positive effect of price, again Costain share price fell 75% in one day last year, seems they have had a major restructure.
    That is the problem with owning individual shares - the chance of big gains but also big losses. You could hold onto those shares for years without ever getting all you money back. In all reality if you held them for a couple more years you'd probably get back 70%-80% but there is no guarantee. What I can guarantee though is that by taking the hit now the money will be invested in a more balanced fund that has the potential for better & more consistent growth - without the big ups & downs that owning individual shares gives you. 
  • Options
    No - nothing yet.  Seems a long delay given that it's now 9 days since the draw...
  • Options
    Mine shows in pending so on it's way tomorrow.
  • Options
    My staged sell off of holdings in the two tech funds worked a treat last week, but the question then is, as always, what to do with the cash? Given my age I am generally looking to reduce risk. my natural default option is stick it in Vanguatd Life Strategy, but I'd be interested in other options for a fairly solid low risk (compared with tech focused) fund.
  • Options
    Who's going in on the Coinbase IPO?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    My staged sell off of holdings in the two tech funds worked a treat last week, but the question then is, as always, what to do with the cash? Given my age I am generally looking to reduce risk. my natural default option is stick it in Vanguatd Life Strategy, but I'd be interested in other options for a fairly solid low risk (compared with tech focused) fund.
    Surely you can do better than a Vanguard Life  Strategy fund. Plenty of multi-asset funds knocking about in the Mixed Investment sectors. 
  • Options
    Define low risk? Personally one (or more than one) of the lifestyle funds you could do worse, but not really sure what else you have or when you wish to draw etc.

I use the lifestyle funds, predominantly as a holding place for shortish periods.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Define low risk? Personally one (or more than one) of the lifestyle funds you could do worse, but not really sure what else you have or when you wish to draw etc.

I use the lifestyle funds, predominantly as a holding place for shortish periods.
    Well, I had the tech funds in both SIPP and regular portfolio, so the *low risk* requirement is more for the SIPP. I just checked and Vanguard Life Stratgey 20% and 40% account for 31% of my SIPP, and currently cash accounts for another 17%. Although I am now 67, I don't currently see the need to do anything with the SIPP for a couple of years. So I could look for some reasonable growth, but a lot less volatility than the two tech funds.

Outside the SIPP, I wonder what general sectors/themes people fancy now, if tech is considered to be a bit "toppy"? I'm not sure I buy the "UK is undervalued" story, although I did buy a Vanguard FTSE250 ETF, denominated in euros in my Degiro account, and it has done quite well so far. I've also done very well so far buying funds in the "Sustainable" sector although some of their holdings leave me feeling a bit cynical about it. I have nothing Asia-Pacific focused, and only a bit of a Japanese fund, in the SIPP. As for the US I just have a tracker fund, in both portfolios - I didn't fancy investing specifically there while Trump was in office.