Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:
    A long way to go yet Prague.

Having cashed a lot of mine in, I’m sitting on a lot of cash in my SIPP, question is when do I reinvest…….
    Tell me when you think as I've done the same.
    I'll wait until it settles and starts to show a slide up.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Having cashed a lot of mine in, I’m sitting on a lot of cash in my SIPP, question is when do I reinvest…….
    I've held firm and not cashed in before on many a slump and usually regretted it, as the markets fell further and further.

Also, I've cashed in before and then bought back in too early and missed out on bigger rises in the following months.

I'm usually quite successful at picking the bottom of the markets or near bottom.
    I'm down @4% this week, but it could have been much worse.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I've held firm and not cashed in before on many a slump and usually regretted it, as the markets fell further and further.

Also, I've cashed in before and then bought back in too early and missed out on bigger rises in the following months.

I'm usually quite successful at picking the bottom of the markets or near bottom.
    I'm down @4% this week, but it could have been much worse.
    I've put a little back in late today (about 15% of the cash). Q big drop tomorrow :-) - but some I'm buying back at near 10% less than I sold at a couple of weeks ago so long term happy days......
  • My Sipp had fallen 5.5% over the last month.....and most of that has come over the last 4 or 5 days. 

I blame Labour....😄
  • My Sipp had fallen 5.5% over the last month.....and most of that has come over the last 4 or 5 days. 

I blame my financial adviser Labour....😄

;-)

I blame Labour....😄
    I'm down about 3.2% so wiped out July's and most of June's profit. But still can't complain as over 27% up still since July 22.
  • After this pullback there are some very attractive yields on bluechip shares about, but I'm going to let things settle for a while before making any decisions

I blame Labour....😄
    I’m down 0.68% over the month. Small improvement yesterday and I’m still happy with my year end FTSE prediction 😉
  • My SIPP down less than 1% over the month. Perhaps @golfaddick needs to see an IFA 😂😂
  • TelMc32 said:
    My Sipp had fallen 5.5% over the last month.....and most of that has come over the last 4 or 5 days. 

I blame Labour....😄
    I’m down 0.68% over the month. Small improvement yesterday and I’m still happy with my year end FTSE prediction 😉
    Thats very good, I assume you've little to nothing in the US or Japan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Max draw down on Monday was 5%.  That was from an all time high that was only 13% away from the number I've set myself to retire without having to downsize.

I've now recovered about 1.5% of that but it has made me think about my risk appetite right now, given any cash I hold is earning 5%, as per @bobmunro.  It's been a good run, up 33% in two years.  First investment classic psychology  issue - the difficulty of objectively judging risks in a market panic and seeing realised gains as more important than opportunity cost.

The trouble is, with a few notable exceptions, most of my holdings either look like they have much more to grow or are in very strong trends (e.g. Fortinet, a cyber security company, went up 13% after hours last night, after great results).  With the dogs, I'm having trouble taking the losses, which is the second classic psychological investment issue.  For the stars, I'm worried about cutting the flowers and watering the weeds.  For interest, the dogs are BP & VW and the stars are Mitie, HILS and LSEG.

Agree with @IdleHans that the value stocks still look undervalued. I have quite a heavy percentage of those and - cyclically - they should do well.

So a bit of a dilemma but overall pointing to taking some off the table into any strength.  The current bounce could easily turn into a trend on a good number on next Wednesday's CPI result.  A bad number would be a disaster - people thinking the FED won't drop rates going into a recession.  And no-one is sure whether the Yen carry trade is fully unwound yet.
  • My SIPP down less than 1% over the month. Perhaps @golfaddick needs to see an IFA 😂😂.Rob7Lee said:
    TelMc32 said:
    My Sipp had fallen 5.5% over the last month.....and most of that has come over the last 4 or 5 days. 

I blame Labour....😄

I track mine daily & the fall was from 6th July to 6th August. Have around 4% in Japan & over 25% in US. 
  • My SIPP down less than 1% over the month. Perhaps @golfaddick needs to see an IFA 😂😂.Rob7Lee said:
    TelMc32 said:

I blame Labour....😄

I track mine daily & the fall was from 6th July to 6th August. Have around 4% in Japan & over 25% in US. 
    I’d assumed those dates and did the same to compare properly.

My SIPP is 20 investments across equities property and bonds, but @Rob7Lee it’s 10.56% across 3 North American Equity funds and 5.6% in one Japanese fund.  The best of the three US funds is TM Natixis Loomis Sayles US Equity Leaders fund, which is surprising given some of the tech firms within it. 
  • Mine's picked up a bit now, down 1.1% now since end of July and back above end of May's month end.
  • I am down 8.5% on a fairly substantial portfolio 

• Raisin a reliable platform? 
  • Raisin a reliable platform? 
    If by reliable, you mean, is your money safe, then they say they are FSCS protected.  Always worth double checking that is true by following the FCA links and reference.

You are covered up to 85k but the licenses can get shared, so if you're likely to be anywhere near the 85k limit, it's worth checking that you aren't on that same license elsewhere as all organisations on the same license are treated as one bank.

This is a pretty helpful guide: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings/#:~:text=But%20the%20FSCS%20doesn't,Cash%20in%20a%20PayPal%20account.

If you just mean, is it technically a good platform, I'm not familiar with them.  Think they are a German outfit but I don't usually work in retail and haven't worked with them.
  • I used Raisin for a while and they were generally fine but I got a bit fed up with money withdrawn from 'easy access' accounts taking two or three days to arrive in my bank account. With Zopa, among others, it takes literally no more than ten minutes.
  • IdleHans said:
    I used Raisin for a while and they were generally fine but I got a bit fed up with money withdrawn from 'easy access' accounts taking two or three days to arrive in my bank account. With Zopa, among others, it takes literally no more than ten minutes.
    Agreed and I also got fed up with their increasing reliance on obscure banks from the Middle East and Asia. I was able to get as good if not better deals dealing directly e.g. with Charter Savings, Secure Trust and Invesco. The latter was on Raisin when I first tried it, but isn’t any more, which tells me something.
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    The sods are boosting the rate by taking it from my premium bond “non-winning” streak the last few months!!! 😡😉😂
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Mine's picked up a bit now, down 1.1% now since end of July and back above end of May's month end.
    Well all is well again with the investment world, this month has now turned to profit, up 1.7% currently and once again an all time high for my SIPP.
  • And the Metro bank shares that I bought for 37p each when they dropped have slowly started to climb up - currently 57p (I decided to hold on and not cash in when they went back up a bit).
  • Another V shaped recovery.  Very strange, if you ask me.  Record changes in volatility - up to 65% and back where it started in under a month.

I'm also up 1.7 this month, 9.5% for the YTD, 24% on a year ago but with a lot more cash and a few low risk hedges, so much 'safer' than I was before the volatility.  Everyone is now saying that all time highs for the US are inevitable, which tells me they'll be another surprise.

Under all that, I'm still seeing a shift to value and away from tech.  But a friend of mine who uses a lot of AI in his firm tells me his costs for using it are dropping dramatically as the algos improve.  He's making large redundancies, replacing Indian off-shore with AI and insisting his suppliers give him 30% productivity improvements to account for use of AI.  One data point but interesting implications.
  • bobmunro said:
    CafcWest said:
    And the Metro bank shares that I bought for 37p each when they dropped have slowly started to climb up - currently 57p (I decided to hold on and not cash in when they went back up a bit).

Maybe set yourself a 'stop profit' level. e.g. sell at 70p, sell at 50p i.e. sell if it goes above 70p, sell if it goes below 50p (only an example and I don't know how much stock you are holding of course).

A former CEO of a company I worked for many years ago gave me sage advice that I have always tried to stick by - 'Always set a stop profit/loss sell point'.
    Thank you - that's good advice.  I do tend to just buy shares and sit on them hoping they go up but don't actively monitor.  I probably should - sometimes it works out (Methanex I bought about £700 worth and sold for £10k 20 years later!) but others do the opposite...it's all a gamble I guess.
  • Nothing against on PBs following on from last month’s zero. £39k
    One of the blokes I used to work with won £10k last month.
  • Nothing again on 22k.
    Terrible returns so far this year about £300 in total with only 4 months to go.