Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Zero for me (about 26k), £200 for Mrs R7L (Max) and £100 for daughter (about 25k)
  • edited September 3
    Total of £75 this month despite increasing our investment by £35k in July to a joint max holding of £100k. Back to reality after last month’s £1500.
  • Nothing for me again, £225 the wife both full holdings 
  • £175 for wife (£30k), NOTHING for me (£35k)
  • £150 full
  • £50 with 40k. Not been the best returns this year.
  • edited September 3
    2 x £100 and 1 x £50 on full holding.  3% return calendar year.  Probably 4%+ if no tax taken into account (don't know how to calculate).
  • £225 for me, £150 for Mrs M - both max holdings
  • £325 on full holding. Best return I’ve had in a while
  • Sponsored links:

• £50 on half holding. Need a very strong end to the year to hit even 4%
  • 500 for me, 150 missus. Both on max.
  • Zero for me on max. First zero in ages.
  • £250 for Mrs Chaz on her full holding. Zero for me and jnr on our 25 & 10k holdings  :/
  • £175 today on £45k holding. Best return for quite a while.
  • bobmunro said:
    CafcWest said:
    And the Metro bank shares that I bought for 37p each when they dropped have slowly started to climb up - currently 57p (I decided to hold on and not cash in when they went back up a bit).

Maybe set yourself a 'stop profit' level. e.g. sell at 70p, sell at 50p i.e. sell if it goes above 70p, sell if it goes below 50p (only an example and I don't know how much stock you are holding of course).

A former CEO of a company I worked for many years ago gave me sage advice that I have always tried to stick by - 'Always set a stop profit/loss sell point'.
    And if @CafcWest is reading, Metro shares have jumped nearly 7% this morning to over 69p…
  • £100 for me and zip for the Mrs, both on max holdings. Poor again and enough is enough. The returns are already bad and are only going to get worse as the base rate drops.
    £40k withdrawn this morning, when I finally managed to sign into ns&i.
  • £225 for me, nought for the missus (both 35k holding)
  • edited September 3
    bobmunro said:
    CafcWest said:
    And the Metro bank shares that I bought for 37p each when they dropped have slowly started to climb up - currently 57p (I decided to hold on and not cash in when they went back up a bit).

Maybe set yourself a 'stop profit' level. e.g. sell at 70p, sell at 50p i.e. sell if it goes above 70p, sell if it goes below 50p (only an example and I don't know how much stock you are holding of course).

A former CEO of a company I worked for many years ago gave me sage advice that I have always tried to stick by - 'Always set a stop profit/loss sell point'.
    Sensible advice. I'd also consider setting a trailing stop loss to make sure at least some profits are locked in once made.
    So for example, if you buy at 50p with a trailing stop loss of 10% and the shares rise to 70p, your stop loss price becomes 70p less 10%, ie 63p.
    I'm also a fan of taking profits as a share rises so that you lock these in and your exposure to price drops is limited. There may even be rare occasions where the shares you retain are effectively free.

(nothing for me on PBs this month)
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Nothing for father in law!! His winning streak is finally broken.
    And what a streak it was! 

£175 for me on 43k. Not enough to get the 2024 return anywhere near 4%, and time is running out.  , 
  • Sponsored links:

• £125 for me on max holding
  • TelMc32 said:
    bobmunro said:
    CafcWest said:

And if @CafcWest is reading, Metro shares have jumped nearly 7% this morning to over 69p…
    Thank you @TelMc32 I would certainly consider cashing in...if I knew where better to invest the proceeds!!
  • First time for ages zero for me. £250 wife🙁
  • edited September 3
    IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:
    CafcWest said:

Sensible advice. I'd also consider setting a trailing stop loss to make sure at least some profits are locked in once made.
    So for example, if you buy at 50p with a trailing stop loss of 10% and the shares rise to 70p, your stop loss price becomes 70p less 10%, ie 63p.
    I'm also a fan of taking profits as a share rises so that you lock these in and your exposure to price drops is limited. There may even be rare occasions where the shares you retain are effectively free.

(nothing for me on PBs this month)

Absolutely - a couple of years ago I bought a chunk of BAT shares and thankfully they rose nicely enabling me to set revised stop profit/loss points.

Unfortunately not all of my share dealings have gone the right way, but have always managed to minimise any losses to an acceptable level with stop loss.
  • Zero on max. Bugger. Been doing ok this year so shouldn’t complain…
  • Zero for the last three months, and £275 in total this year. Not great, but holding out for the big one just before Christmas… 🤞🏻
  • There are already too many things to remind me that life is flashing past.  Seeing a sudden flurry of activity on the S&I thread is now one of those!
  • £100, max holding.
  • £175 me and £150 wife both max.
    3.2% return so far this year
  • Nothing again on 9k