Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• £175 for me, £150 for Mrs M - both max holdings.
  • £25 on max holding
  • £100 for me (25k holding), £100 for other half (max) and £125 for junior (£10k holding).
  • Zilch for me and £50 for the wife, both max holdings.
    Dreadful returns so far this year and time for a change.
  • Nothing for me again on 9k
  • £350. X 2max
  • £150 for Mrs A on maximum, sod all again for me on £12k. 
  • 75 wife and 150 me, both on max
  • £200 max
  • 350 max
  • Sponsored links:

• Top 2 4th 8th luck people 💪💪
  • Leaving aside NS&I for a moment.........

World stockmarkets not faring well at the moment. Results this week from some of the big US tech companies have been disappointing & although the BOE reduced rates yesterday the Fed havent done & their reluctance to had now spooked the markets. 

Around 4pm today this is how the stood  -

FTSE100 down 1.4% 
    Dax (Germany) down 2.25%
    Cac40 ( France) down 1.5%
    Eurostox (top 50 European co's) down 2.5%
    Dow down 2.20%
    S&P500 down 2.5%

And overnight Hong King was down 2.1%. & Japan was down 5.8%.

Not a good start to the month. 

• £50 on 30k

World stockmarkets not faring well at the moment. Results this week from some of the big US tech companies have been disappointing & although the BOE reduced rates yesterday the Fed havent done & their reluctance to had now spooked the markets. 

FTSE100 down 1.4% 
    Dax (Germany) down 2.25%
    Dow down 2.20%
    S&P500 down 2.5%

It is if you turned into cash on Monday a lot of what you were holding in the FTSE and S&P500 😊
  • I’m golfaddick said:
    Leaving aside NS&I for a moment.........

FTSE100 down 1.4% 
    Dax (Germany) down 2.25%
    Dow down 2.20%
    S&P500 down 2.5%

I’d read from a number of sources in recent weeks that they weren’t expecting the Fed to move til September, but obviously markets aren’t ones for waiting. Various experts now expecting more drastic cuts before the end of the year, including 50bps in both September & November.  

With hindsight and the figures released this week, Powell probably should have started those cuts this month. They’re quite obviously behind the curve at the moment. 

Best to log off for August…as most traders (and the French) do anyway!! 😉
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Leaving aside NS&I for a moment.........

FTSE100 down 1.4% 
    Dax (Germany) down 2.25%
    Dow down 2.20%
    S&P500 down 2.5%

It is if you turned into cash on Monday a lot of what you were holding in the FTSE and S&P500 😊
    Good job I didn't, ir I'd be 2% down, not 2% up.  Depends what you invest in ... Lockheed Martin is doing very nicely :-)
  • £225 for me on max
  • £175 for me. £25 for the missus. Both max
  • £100 for me on 43k. Heading for a poor year of returns compared to cash. 

FTSE100 down 1.4% 
    Dax (Germany) down 2.25%
    Dow down 2.20%
    S&P500 down 2.5%

Further to Friday's losses today hasn't started any better.

Japan finished down 12% - yes TWELVE.
    FTSE100 currently down 2%
    Most other European markets (inc the FT 250) down around 2.5%.

Could be a bumpy ride this week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The two analysts that I follow that correctly called this from the Friday before last (including the ramp into Wednesday), reckon that there should be a bounce this week.  They were both (using very different sets of signals) calling for S&P down to at least 5265 but as low as 5180 initially, then a bounce.

The problem is that August and September aren't usually great months for liquidity but both think this could just be a correction. 7.5% draw down in an election year and a higher EoY is quite common.
  • Come on, fess up, y’all scoffed at my latest FTSE100 prediction, didn’t ‘cha ?😉

Not that I am remotely claiming to have seen this coming, at this time. I just felt that something like this would happen in the next few months, especially because of the noise around the big tech bros and AI…

In truth of course there’s very little % difference between my forecast and most of the others. We could all be doomed🤣

That Nikkei drop hurts me, btw. I have some funds…
  • A long way to go yet Prague.

Having cashed a lot of mine in, I’m sitting on a lot of cash in my SIPP, question is when do I reinvest…….
  • bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    A long way to go yet Prague.

Having cashed a lot of mine in, I’m sitting on a lot of cash in my SIPP, question is when do I reinvest…….

I'm happy to say that for quite some time I have been very heavily exposed to cash - and getting between 5% and 6% on it. I'm more than happy with that at my age and risk appetite and can't see it changing much in the future.
    I’m still a bit over 5 years from being able to draw down, so will likely jump back in, although probably will keep 10% of the pot  in cash.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Tell me when you think as I've done the same.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Depends where you want to invest really. I'd put a bit in now. Markets might have further to fall but Japan is down over 25% from it's all time high and & other markets down 5-7% over the past week. UK is already trading at a discount & is below 8000 for the 1st time in months. 
  • Jesus Christ, 3 days ago im moaning about Premium bonds and how shit they are, and now the last week has wiped out all my gains since I started my S&S ISA in Feb...  :(
  • Huskaris said:
    Jesus Christ, 3 days ago im moaning about Premium bonds and how shit they are, and now the last week has wiped out all my gains since I started my S&S ISA in Feb...  :(
    You're lucky you've only wiped out your gains. Imagine if you invested it last week. You could be looking at a 10% loss by the end of this week.

Then again, depends on where its invested. The Bonds in my portfolio (c25%) have all made gains since Friday. 
  • And my fine pref shares have performed very nicely since the start of the year. The rest of it's a bin fire, mind you.
    I prefer to think of drops not in % terms but in time terms. Makes it easier if you regard it as having gone back 6 months than down 10%, for example.