Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• CafcWest said:
    Thoroughly enjoyable...compared to the recent streams!  Good coverage too by Cardiff.
    It made me chuckle when the commentate said that we are making an attacking substitution and bringing on barker and mingi 
  • Mingi looks a very good prospect.
  • Enjoyed that - very open game - Cardiff came out all guns blazing 2nd half

Come on Thomas - let’s have coverage of our home games
  • CafcWest said:
    Thoroughly enjoyable...compared to the recent streams!  Good coverage too by Cardiff.
    It made me chuckle when the commentate said that we are making an attacking substitution and bringing on barker and mingi 
    I thought that but Mingi seemed to go into midfield and made us more solid as did Barker.

These games are hard to judge as, for example, Henry is 17 and two of our players are trialists while City had a striker they paid a lot of money for from Crawley.

Without knowing the relative strengths and ages of the two sides no fair to be too harsh on our lads for giving up the lead.  They did very well before half time and looked good on the ball throughout, less so when defending.

But it is a DEVELOPMENT squad and they've gone away, scored five and won so go development.
  • Good cameo by Barker there. Quitirna and Clayden promising from the 50 mins I saw. Cardiff commentators impressed by them. 
    Quite entertaining despite the blustery conditions. 
  • edited March 2021
    Really enjoyed that, hope we can lobby the club and @Ollywozere to look at streaming our U23s!

Aaron Henry's range of passing is outstanding, can see why he's rated so highly. 

Thought Max Watters looked very good.
  • Good to see the future is bright even if the present is effing awful. Well done the probables. 
  • From that stream:
    Quitirna - looked good. 
    Henry - looks similar to Morgan, given he's younger that is exciting. 
    Barker & Mingi - Decent cameos
    Clayden - Very decent showing

Oguntayo & Carvalho good first halves. 

Hard to call on Osaghae as he was often exposed and not much he could do about the goals. 

• Whenever there has been the odd chance to see games at this level, or any level, I have loved it.
    I always thought FA regulations got in the way of seeing too much for free.
    I remember paying £2 to watch a game from Crystal Palace before now, and there is usually a chance from QPR.
    There is a little cluster of us who would love it, and maybe during lockdown there are more...I noticed that Cardiff had what you might call 'an attendance' dotted about, so we're not the only club to have curious below first team nutters, they all have them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Enjoyed that - very open game - Cardiff came out all guns blazing 2nd half

Come on Thomas - let’s have coverage of our home games
    George Jones has come back from QPR to join the Comms team but the issue is still lack of staff numbers IMHO.  Only so many hours in the day.

Clubs like Cardiff have more resources but it is something to aim for I think.  Doubt viewing numbers would ever be huge but i think it would give us all more of a connection with the youngsters plus while we all want Charlton to win they are not the pressure games, for fans, that the first team is.  That makes it a bit more relaxing to watch.
    Thing is you're going to get more viewers now because of lockdown, furlough etc. With the games played midweek afternoons is it worth it going forward, probably not. 

Unless of course working from home continues so you can sneakily watch whilst working hard. 

• What a crazy game that was, 1 goal and 1 assist. Well done to Junior and Charles on their braces

Quote Tweet
    Charlton Athletic FC
    · 25m

Charles Clayden was the hero as his injury-time goal earned the young Addicks all three points from a hugely entertaining encounter in Wales!

#cafc
  • JamesSeed said:
    Good cameo by Barker there. Quitirna and Clayden promising from the 50 mins I saw. Cardiff commentators impressed by them. 
    Quite entertaining despite the blustery conditions. 
    Charlie Barker isn't getting enough game time. Falling between the under 18s and under 23s. 
  • edited March 2021
    Only saw the last half hour but all the goal highlights and we looked much more solid at the the back when Barker entered the fray. If it was Mingi’s pass that led to the winner clinically put away first time by Clayden they also looked useful. And if 17 year old Henry continues his development he is going to be some player. Cheers for the heads up @Henry Irving 👍.
  • I really rate Henry, he’ll go way past Morgan in his career. I honestly think he’s our next big academy graduate.

was impressed when he played in the pizza cup, sat nice and deep in front of the defence, lovely range of passing. I that game he was just a bit too slow.

The way he and the season is going I’d give him a little run at the end of the season and get him involved next year.
  • edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    From that stream:
    Quitirna - looked good. 

Hard to call on Osaghae as he was often exposed and not much he could do about the goals. 

He is a young keeper still learning. He didn't look commanding with crosses, but that will be worked on. Also, that is only one game and unfair to judge on that.

Also a lot of misjudged aerial balls all over the pitch witch might be due to a tricky wind.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    From that stream:
    Quitirna - looked good. 

He is a young keeper still learning. He didn't look commanding with crosses, but that will be worked on. Also, that is only one game and unfair to judge on that.

Also a lot of misjudged aerial balls all over the pitch witch might be due to a tricky wind.
    He took out a cross out very well in the first half. Well outside the six yard box.
  • Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    From that stream:
    Quitirna - looked good. 

He took out a cross out very well in the first half. Well outside the six yard box.
    Which backs up that you can't judge in isolation. Also if he has it in him it is something that can be worked on. Some keepers that go for everything are a liability. It is quite a difficult call to make in a game.
  • Maccn05 said:
    I really rate Henry, he’ll go way past Morgan in his career. I honestly think he’s our next big academy graduate.

was impressed when he played in the pizza cup, sat nice and deep in front of the defence, lovely range of passing. I that game he was just a bit too slow.

The way he and the season is going I’d give him a little run at the end of the season and get him involved next year.
    Henry is being watched by scouts.  I was at the last two u23 games and overheard scouts talking about him.  One was from Fulham I think but the other kept his cards close to his chest and wouldn’t let on
  • Is Henry signed up as a Pro already?
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFecyNe7mU

Stumbled across this, some will find it interesting - highlights of the 3-3 v Watford the other week.
    Simpler times when teams could walk out next to each other.

What a Barnet Lapslie has.  He should be supplementing his Mansfield wages with hair care adverts.
  • Swisdom said:
    Maccn05 said:
    I really rate Henry, he’ll go way past Morgan in his career. I honestly think he’s our next big academy graduate.

Henry is being watched by scouts.  I was at the last two u23 games and overheard scouts talking about him.  One was from Fulham I think but the other kept his cards close to his chest and wouldn’t let on
    They want him to run their museum
    Would need to sign another six players then as not a solo job.
  • Good to see Jay Mingi back been out since December, together with Luca Vega, Johl Powell,
    James Vennings, Wassim Aouchria, and Hady Ghandour who are still on the injured list. This has been a depleted squad and has given the 3 trialists and other players  a chance to step up. Also take into account that in yesterdays 16 we had 3  under 18's and are playing against older sides.
    No Lge game next week but will be playing a friendly on Tuesday away to Eastbourne Borough.
    Of those Johl Powell looks to be the one under the radar the most.  I've seen him a couple of times and been really impressed with his engine and attitude.  I am hoping to see a bit more of him in the coming months
  • Good to see Jay Mingi back been out since December, together with Luca Vega, Johl Powell,
    James Vennings, Wassim Aouchria, and Hady Ghandour who are still on the injured list. This has been a depleted squad and has given the 3 trialists and other players  a chance to step up. Also take into account that in yesterdays 16 we had 3  under 18's and are playing against older sides.
    No Lge game next week but will be playing a friendly on Tuesday away to Eastbourne Borough.
    Any idea what time the game is. The ground is about 5 minutes walk from my house, might get to pop over the wall and watch some of it.
  • 7pm kick off at Eastbourne
  • We're relying on you @SouthWest_Addicks for line ups and a march report.

Teamsheet would be perfect.