Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Southbank said:
    And on that note, he sets up our equaliser with a great run from the back!
    Ness and Barker imo. 

The rest have been very subdued today, 
    It was a kind of our u23s reserves today. No Harness, Gavin, Henry, Kanu, Deji, Dempsey. Everyone is either with the first team, on loan or in the squad for youth cup. Very much of picking a team from everyone whose left behind. Imagine individual performances were more important than getting the 3 points.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Southbank said:
    And on that note, he sets up our equaliser with a great run from the back!
    Ness and Barker imo. 

The rest have been very subdued today, 
    It was a kind of our u23s reserves today. No Harness, Gavin, Henry, Kanu, Deji, Dempsey. Everyone is either with the first team, on loan or in the squad for youth cup. Very much of picking a team from everyone whose left behind. Imagine individual performances were more important than getting the 3 points.
    I think Ness, Barker, Santos (first half), Castillo and Williams all showed they had something. 

I would be concerned that John was the best CM we could get on loan... Feel we've done Powell a favour there on this performance. 

The rest were just average really, no better or worse than the opposition. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Think this is the worst I have seen the u23's play. (this season)
    Missed the 2nd half but we looked OK in the first half and remember this is a development squad.

As has been said a lot of changes, two new players trying to get up to speed while key players like Henry and Gavin are missing.  And we still get a draw with a late goal which shows so character at least. 

We all want them to win every game but sometimes the game time is more important.

• Very impressed again with Ness, love to see him get on the bench for a League game 
  • Watching on TV.
    Not an exciting  game but agree this  eleven not our best side.
    Barker stood out imo, Ness, Castillo and to a lesser extent William's looked good ar times.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Think this is the worst I have seen the u23's play. (this season)
    Missed the 2nd half but we looked OK in the first half and remember this is a development squad.

As has been said a lot of changes, two new players trying to get up to speed while key players like Henry and Gavin are missing.  And we still get a draw with a late goal which shows so character at least. 

We all want them to win every game but sometimes the game time is more important.
    Of course it is, but at the same time, it is fair to note when the group on the pitch aren't playing well as a team. 

My only real concern was John.
  • Slightly controversial view here but when I’ve watched the U23s I think Ness looks better than Elewere- I also think that Barker needs to be back with the 1st team when they let Gunter and probably Matthews go. 
  • Slightly controversial view here but when I’ve watched the U23s I think Ness looks better than Elewere- I also think that Barker needs to be back with the 1st team when they let Gunter and probably Matthews go. 
    I think you are not far off. He is certainly more consistent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like we need to get Ness signed up on a longer deal, his expires in the summer after we activated an optional year at the end of last season.
    Barker is not tall enough for centre back. He heads the ball up in air too much. Passing was better today. 
  • Not the prettiest today but the pitch was cutting up quite badly.  Definitely didn't deserve to lose but didn't ask enough questions of their goalkeeper

Wassim was in the stands as was Aaron Henry.

Still not sold on Harvey in goal but he is extremely vocal.  Perhaps will go on to be a coach but I am just not comfortable with him in goal and from watching the U18's at the weekend I'd be inclined to give Ahmed Kone a chance soon whilst Harness is away on loan.
  • edited February 2022
    Is Ahmed Kobe the under 18 keeper who got the jersey after Beadle left for Brighton ?

I watched a youth game about a year ago at Whyteleafe between Dulwich Hamlet and Kinetic Academy and Dulwich played poorly that day but I was impressed with Hamlet keeper, Henry Molyneux.  I did know there were some scouts around that day, (there always is) I heard he signed for Cafc later.
    He was only 16 then.

Has anyone seen him play as I was wondering how he's progressing. We do seem to have quite a few keepers around the 16 to 19 year age groups.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Slightly controversial view here but when I’ve watched the U23s I think Ness looks better than Elewere- I also think that Barker needs to be back with the 1st team when they let Gunter and probably Matthews go. 
    Barker is not tall enough for centre back. He heads the ball up in air too much. Passing was better today. 
    That's the great thing about 3 at the back, you don't need, or even want, 3 Inniss/Pearce/Lavelle types.  I can't see Barker really being a wingback so when one door opens, another closes. 
  • Not sold on Barker myself. A loan and games needed. The U23's tend to go on loan and not get as much game time as I'd thought they would in non league. 
  • Is Ahmed Kobe the under 18 keeper who got the jersey after Beadle left for Brighton ?

I watched a youth game about a year ago at Whyteleafe between Dulwich Hamlet and Kinetic Academy and Dulwich played poorly that day but I was impressed with Hamlet keeper, Henry Molyneux.  I did know there were some scouts around that day, (there always is) I heard he signed for Cafc later.
    He was only 16 then.

Has anyone seen him play as I was wondering how he's progressing. We do seem to have quite a few keepers around the 16 to 19 year age groups.
    On the U23 bench today was Henry Molyneux.

No doubt his family support Wolves. :smile:

• Oggy Red said:
    Is Ahmed Kobe the under 18 keeper who got the jersey after Beadle left for Brighton ?

He was only 16 then.

Cheers Oggy.
    Now who was the last person at Charlton who had a Wolves Connection ?

Richard Murray ! What ever happened to him.

How old is ness? Elsewhere is still very young and has more time to develop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

He was only 16 then.

Cheers Oggy.

Mike Bailey didn't do badly as both player and manager
    He was a year above my son at school, so should be around 20 now. Son has rekindled his interest in Charlton because of Ness, and they’re both called Lucas. 
    Ness is 22, Deji is 18... I think Lucas has matured this season though. 
  • Oggy Red said:

He was only 16 then.

Cheers Oggy.

If I remember, we signed John Humphrey from Wolves.

And didn't we sell Chris Iwelumo to Wolves?

• Is keeper Joseph Osaghae still with us? I've not heard his name mentioned for a while
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Slightly controversial view here but when I’ve watched the U23s I think Ness looks better than Elewere- I also think that Barker needs to be back with the 1st team when they let Gunter and probably Matthews go. 
    Ness turned 20 today, article from 2 years ago:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/metropolitanpolicefc/news/ness-departs-blues-for-charlton-2512864.html

Lucas turned 18 on 7th February and is presently studying for A level examinations in the Summer.
  • Is keeper Joseph Osaghae still with us? I've not heard his name mentioned for a while
    Don’t believe he is but may be wrong.
  • Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ness turned 20 today, article from 2 years ago:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/metropolitanpolicefc/news/ness-departs-blues-for-charlton-2512864.html

Lucas turned 18 on 7th February and is presently studying for A level examinations in the Summer.
    I went with Wikipedia, not surprised it's wrong 😂
  • Oggy Red said:

He was only 16 then.

I saw Molyneux warming up at half time. He looks quite impressive. Ironic that Nathan Harness has gone to Dulwich Hamlet on loan.
  • With Osaghae likely gone, Harvey sounding like he is struggling a bit and Harness/AMB out on loan I imagine Beadle would be getting some great exposure in our U23s had he stayed.  

With Henderson off in the summer then the number 3 role must be up for grabs too.