Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• 3-1 Great solo goal from Powell
  • I think a win means that Charlton qualify from the group stage and into the knockout round of this competition. Another good achievement for the yoof.
  • Good watch that.
  • Why did Oguntayo have to go off?

Not  another injury, I hope
  • edited February 2022
    Great stuff ! 

Our lads continue to show such energy, fight & determination- chasing every ball with a never say die attitude.

Let's hope we see some of that at The Valley on Saturday. 
  • Clayden looked sharp. Tidy player. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Whoever is on the camera, needs to stop drinking #SteadyHandsNeeded
    Kept panning when he didn’t need to. And the shot was a bit too wide when the ball was up either end. 
    Terry was ace though. 
  • Can fcuk players off like Matthews, Gilbey and Lee and put a few of the kids in the first team….at leat they will go it and battle 
  • Why did Oguntayo have to go off?

Not  another injury, I hope
    He was tackled late and received a lot of treatment and tried to continue.

Went down again shortly afterwards and limped off.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Clayden looked sharp. Tidy player. 
    Played as a winger rather than as a wing back as in recent games. Good speed and crosses.

Only able to kick the ball with his left foot.
  • Things got a bit silly after the final whistle with pushing and shoving in the corner. Punches were thrown. Williams was booked.
  • ct_addick said:
    Can fcuk players off like Matthews, Gilbey and Lee and put a few of the kids in the first team….at leat they will go it and battle 
    ??? 
  • JamesSeed said:
    _MrDick said:
    Kept panning when he didn’t need to. And the shot was a bit too wide when the ball was up either end. 
    Terry was ace though. 
    When our goal was ruled out for offside he kept on about the ball being played backwards, but the law does not state the ball has to be played forward for a player to be offside.
    I suggest either a re read of the laws, or considering how much he has to say about referees to go on a refereeing course.
  • ct_addick said:
    Can fcuk players off like Matthews, Gilbey and Lee and put a few of the kids in the first team….at leat they will go it and battle 
    Battling is what Gilbey and arguably Lee do when it’s end product many want to see more of.
  • Shows again that if (big if I know but that's the aim) we do get cat 1 status this year our teams will be able to live with the other Cat 1 sides.

Very unlikely we'd be topping leagues as we regularly do at U18 and U23 level now but doubt we'd be rock bottom either.

• seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    _MrDick said:
    Terry was ace though. 
    When our goal was ruled out for offside he kept on about the ball being played backwards, but the law does not state the ball has to be played forward for a player to be offside.
    I suggest either a re read of the laws, or considering how much he has to say about referees to go on a refereeing course.
    The direction of the pass is irrelevant if the player deemed to be offside is beyond the ball and the second last opponent.

What was the situation here?
  • It was a low cross from the right.
  • Sage said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    _MrDick said:
    Terry was ace though. 
    The direction of the pass is irrelevant if the player deemed to be offside is beyond the ball and the second last opponent.

It looked like it was cut back towards two forward’s rushing in and did look a perfectly good goal. The camera is on the halfway line so difficult to be 100%, but on replay I was looking to see if there was a foul he had seen as offside looked unlikely given the speed they were running in at.
  • The easiest way to gain knowledge about the offside law is to read it.
    I think the essential part is:
    Is the player in the opponents half?
    Were they interfering with play and seeking to gain an advantage?
    Were there less than two players between the person in question and the goal line?
    Was the player in front of the ball?
    Although it is hard to believe, those circumstances can happen even if the ball is played backwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    _MrDick said:
    Terry was ace though. 

It looked like it was cut back towards two forward’s rushing in and did look a perfectly good goal. The camera is on the halfway line so difficult to be 100%, but on replay I was looking to see if there was a foul he had seen as offside looked unlikely given the speed they were running in at.
    I was sitting almost behind the linesman. The ball looped across with two players running in. It did not go backwards.

I didn't think they could have been offside.

His flag didn't go up immediately and I got the impression that the ref said something to him on the radio link.
  • Couldn't make the u23's game last night due to work commitments, how did the boys play?, i see there were some great goals.
  • Couldn't make the u23's game last night due to work commitments, how did the boys play?, i see there were some great goals.
    Started quite slowly and then gave a goal away. Could have been 2 as the goalie missed his kick almost at the half way line.

Equalised before half time and a much better second half.

Ref really lost it and lots of yellow cards, mainly for us. One Norwich player got a second yellow and was sent off before a lot of pushing and shoving and some punches thrown during extra time.
    That would have been dedication given your location ;)
  • Do we have many U23s actually left who havent gone out on loan?
  • Do we have many U23s actually left who havent gone out on loan?
    At all or just not currently out on loan?
  • edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Do we have many U23s actually left who havent gone out on loan?
    At all or just not currently out on loan?
    Not currently out on loan... So I imagine from the Squad List

Goalkeepers: Harness | Harvey
    Defence: French | Barker | Oguntayo | Roddy | O'Connor
    Midfield
    Agyemang | Chin | Santos | Williams
    Strikers: Viggers | Ghandour | 
    Aouacheria

Good opportunity for the U18s to get some more minutes in the older age group.
  • Good luck to Powell, a Charlton fan I think.
  • Good luck to Powell, a Charlton fan I think.
    Yeah he is