Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• 2-1 scramble from a corner.
  • Goal hanger
  • Really impressed with Lucas Ness first halt, not a lot gets spoken of him with regard to getting in the first team picture.
  • Injury situation calls for a stretcher vehicle.
  • Barker off, worrying.
  • Barker back bandaged.
  • All getting a bit pulsating.
  • 3-1 deep sigh of relief.
    Lots of extra time to come. Powell scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• To anyone whose either watching online, or who went to the game, is anyone in the Charlton side look good enough to step up to the first team in the near future.
  • edited January 2022

Only seen the goals but QPRs defending for all three of our goals was terrible.

No wonder they are bottom.
  • To anyone whose either watching online, or who went to the game, is anyone in the Charlton side look good enough to step up to the first team in the near future.
    I would get Adigun amongst the first team next season. Very young, but physical, composed and the captain of the U18s, so has a bit of presence. I would also like to see Richard chin have a go at our RWB position in preseason. He might lack a bit of physicality at the moment, but his speed, technique and positioning seem on point.
  • seth plum said:
    Richard Chin initially struck me as an advancing midfielder, on either side.
    He has the physical presence of Chris Solly.
    However necessity means he has been tried quite a bit defensively, and risen to the challenge.
    To me he is beautifully economical with his play, does not tend to fanny about, and always seems to make good decisions, he has very decent technique, and looks like a good thinker.
    His size and versatility might work against him, lovely footballer who every Charlton fan should hope develops further, and is a good advertisement for our excellent academy.
    Richard is what I would call an intelligent footballer as well as being one academically. Younger brother is a talented sportsman too. Remember seeing him playing table tennis a few years ago - for his age and size he was very good. Mum and Dad are lovely people although Dad did, once upon a time, like to get involved offering advice to Richard from the touchline in quite a vociferous manner. I'm probably the last person to be in a position to criticise anyone for doing that though!
  • I think the next stage for a few of them is a loan to a League 2 or lower League 1 club. A bit like us loaning Parker to Norwich, with a view to them coming back into the first team.
  • I think the next stage for a few of them is a loan to a League 2 or lower League 1 club. A bit like us loaning Parker to Norwich, with a view to them coming back into the first team.
    Lower than us?  Not many of them about :smile:
    Never really seen that happen when we’re at this level and I don’t see that changing. The stand out players will be pushing for the first team like Burstow has. Those further behind are likely to have to go on loan to a non-league club as they won’t get EFL interest.

Position plays a part of course, CBs and GKs need a run of starts. Other positions especially the more attacking players can be introduced slowly and start by trying to make an impact off the bench.

It would be great to see one or two more get a chance in the first team this season so we can get an idea if they can be more involved this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anybody know where the game is being played?

It would be nice to know in time to go and watch the game but the comms team treat it like it's a state secret.
  • edited February 2022
    On the official site now. Princes Park at 1pm. Valley Gold members and season ticket holders get in free. Otherwise £3. On Charlton TV too.
  • Must be a minimum of 7 changes from last 23s games with players going out on loan, and the 18s being rested for the youth cup. Assume Deji will travel to Bolton with the squad.

Only problem with following youth football you end up with these matches when half of the best team is missing and get first team brought in for match fitness reasons.
  • Sure Spurs and Chelsea are delighted to see their young players turn out for our U23s.

No Lavelle which is a concern.

Ghandour is back but no Wassim.

Oguntayo needs so more game time.

A lot of the U18s who might have stepped up are playing in the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday so being rested.  In my day players did a full shift down the pit or in the docks, walked six miles there and back and still played three games in a day unlike these pampered stars today.  But you try telling the kids this and they don't believe you. 
  • Hopefully Castillo and John are playing to build up fitness otherwise they're completely pointless signings
  • Really surprised Castillo is playing, as with CBT going off injured I'd have thought he'd at least have a chance of making the 18 tomorrow

Or is he FOURTH choice left wing back behind CBT, DJ and Purrington?