Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Holmes was absolutely unplayable first half, looks a real coup
    Great performances by Konsa and Magennis

Great win, but I refuse to get carried away yet... They were woeful
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

MAYBE should've scored? lol

My memory may be doing me a disservice but the ball bounced awkwardly a moment just before he reached it from that rebound thing. But yeah.
    I'm with you, Paddy, it looked worse than it was. Confident that Ajose will soon nick one and then get loads more.

Or were you running us through your LBW decision again?
  • Options
    Teams that win 6 love invariably blank next time out so no point in trashing the shrews.
    Need to win at the Bescot. Lads done good tonight. Game over after 45 those present could've scooted.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Best Foley moment was when he gave it away really badly, in a sort of 'people will give him 4 in Player Ratings' way, then immediately charged back and won it, putting him back to a 6 ;)

You really haven't got the same gift as your girlfriend, have you Leuthy :wink:
  • Options
    3% Top two ......... 22% 3rd-6th ......... 60% 7th-12th ......... 15% 13th-20th ........ 0% relegation
  • Options

Leuth said:

Best Foley moment was when he gave it away really badly, in a sort of 'people will give him 4 in Player Ratings' way, then immediately charged back and won it, putting him back to a 6 ;)

You really haven't got the same gift as your girlfriend, have you Leuthy :wink:
    Perhaps not, but only because I fear what might happen if I let rip
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Wow that was better. Magennis and Konsa were stand out and I thought Ajose looked decent. Crofts also put his foot in.
    But Ricky Holmes....amazing.
    Skill, determination, style. John Robinson with a bit more attackingflair.
    Love him already.

Can't make my mind up whether he's more like Killer in his focus on going for goal or more like Robinson in never giving up.
    Let me make your mind up for you, he absolutely nothing like either of them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    DOUCHER said:

- the weird experiment is over

Really? Source? :wink:
  • Options
    The Brian Cole factor kicking in!
  • Options
    Excellent in attack first half and it may seem churlish to criticise a performance that results in a 3-0 win but a better side than Shrewbury could easily have got something from us today. We defended well but the midfield lacks energy and they were able to move it around quite easily. That aside a promising performance. Felt we managed the game 2nd half to ensure they didn't get back in it. As per every season I gues we will judge how good we are after 10 games.
  • Options
    Tonight (and the results elsewhere) has given me a lot more confidence about our prospects for the season, especially with MKD, Millwall and Sheff Utd losing

Bolton (who play tomorrow) are now the only team with a 100% record, Peterborough are clearly going to be a team to watch too
  • Options
    One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Good result against minor side. Our squad is actually pretty ok now for this level - with a couple of extra additions and (presumably) Bergdich loaned out we should have one of the stronger teams in the League.

That said many of the players still need to find their feet.

We need a minimum of 79 points for automatic promotion and a minimum of 70 for the play offs - thats 7-8 per month every month. At present we have 4.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options

Tonight (and the results elsewhere) has given me a lot more confidence about our prospects for the season, especially with MKD, Millwall and Sheff Utd losing

Beating the mighty Shrewsbury can do that for you :wink:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

MAYBE should've scored? lol

My memory may be doing me a disservice but the ball bounced awkwardly a moment just before he reached it from that rebound thing. But yeah.
    This. People are calling it a sitter but he had to react quickly and unfortunately it did bounce just as, or just before he hit it.
  • Options

Beating the mighty Shrewsbury can do that for you :wink:

Well Sheff Utd lost 3-0 at home to the might Southend :-)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    Great to see a win. Very happy with that. Only hope is that the short sighted in charge of the purse strings don't use this as a reason not to strengthen the midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Off_it said:

Didn't go. Forgot all about it to be honest.

Good win though. Thank Christ for that, eh?!

Forgot all about it despite posting the first post on this thread eh? ;)

First evening game I can remember enjoying for a while.

Just one game - but Holmes, Magennis, Konsa all massive positives.

Just need Ajose to get a goal but it will come.

Rudd is our best keeper for a long while.

If we can get a couple of good CMs to boost the squad and keep Lookman then we could do something in this league.

Let's see what happens.
    Agree & Magennis could have done a job for us in The Championship when our strikers were getting bullied rotten. He is a veritable beast but a skilful one and his knock on headers were in the Kermo mould.

Thought Crofts had a decent night as well - albeit against a very poor side.

Konsa was so good in the air and I was especially impressed with the way he kept calm after being wound up rotten by their striker for the full 90.

Holmes was superb and also protected Fox much more than most others playing in front of him last season were supposed to do but didn't.
    The Holmes goal from the corner was the first time I'd ever seen that happen live - absolute quality.

Lookman mesmerised them - a lovely bit of quick feet magic so soon after he came on to skin three players and his shot that the keeper could only parry was sadly skyed by Ajose from the spill. Ajose just needs a goal but not sure we're playing to his strengths - will take time to find the right chemistry.

My main observation of the football overall - my God, this level is so much slower than The Championship. However, we look to have a decent squad for this level - just a couple of decent CM's, as you say, one a playmaker and the other a playbreaker with pace and we're on our way back.

Was really pleased for Russell Slade who was clearly delighted at the end when he came to thank the fans - think he could become a popular Manager.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Major said:

sammy391 said:

Good win, but felt the Scoreline flattered us a bit!
    A great strike, a dubious handball scrap and then a corner goal that you couldn't do again in 50 more atttempts
    Solid enough at the back, with midfield fluid but nothing really upfront in terms of goals- really can't see ajose getting more than 7/8 goals this season!
    Magennis looks a good signing!

Slightly annoyed at the speed that the fans are all over the players and Russell Slade - especially over the last few years history , and considering none of the managers under this regime got the same treatment albeit with better results!

Think a lot of teams could surprise this season - given the results seen tonight!

You are annoyed at the fans getting behind the manager and the team? Is there some graduated level of applause you would like to see introduced?
    Not at all, I'm all for getting behind the team etc but it's find it surprising how quickly people have seemingly gone from one extreme of protests etc to asking Russell Slade for a wave in a matter of months... What I was annoyed about , is that the regime will take that and think the problems are all sorted (as well as non of the other managers we've had under this ownership got the same response even with better results)
    Curbs has commented several times that Slade is a good appointment - in Curbs, we trust.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Thought the constant pressing by Foley and Crofts was very impressive - allowed Holmes the freedom to get on the ball:

None of that on here thanks. I thought it was decided during pre-season that they were slow, lack energy and should be squad players at best.
    Shrewsbury were a poor side - the real test will come against the better sides, currently the likes of Bolton and Chesterfield - Bolton game is just around the corner so we'll soon see.
  • Options
    We played some good stuff at times and their keeper had to make a couple of good saves. Defense looked organised and rarely looked in trouble. Job done in first half and second was a non event.
    Very comfortable win but just because I feel like being a negative realist because that's what following Charlton has done to me, I'll add Shrewsbury were poor, that the 2nd goal was handball and that the 3rd was in reality a lucky poor corner.
  • Options
    3-0 was a flattering scoreline but the result was never in doubt once we got in front but at 3-0 I really thought we'd keep going for it and really thump them by 4 or 5 which could have done wonders for morale and gelling of the team not to mention goal difference.

Impressed again with Magennis he really bullied the Shrewsbury defence and probably the nearest we've ever looked like replacing Kermorgant with.

The goals for Ajose will come once the right service falls his way though granted he should have tucked away the rebound from Lookman's shot but at least fans didn't get on his back for it.

Holmes was brilliant absolutely vital the club look after him can see him pitching in with maybe 10 goals this season if he continues playing the way he has so far.

Still a few question marks in the middle of the pitch though an improvement from the same 4 players since Bury, Shrewsbury had too much of the ball for my liking in the 2nd half I really wanted us to stamp our authority on the game but I can understand Slade reigning it in and settling for the 3-0. Good tonight but I remain unconvinced how that same midfield will get on at Millwall. Walsall on Saturday will provide a sterner test than a Shrewsbury team i'll be surprised doesn't get relegated this season despite there best efforts to pass the ball around.

Konsa ironed out the mistakes from Saturday. Relegator's finished and now behind Pearce, Bauer, Tex, and Konsa as 5th choice CB though as good as Konsa looked i'd still bring Bauer back into the team.

Rudd inspires confidence and definitely our best keeper in a while.

The rest were solid, overall deserved the win but certainly sterner tests lay ahead but all in all a good night for the club.